Opinion: It's time we got another affordable G1-style Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, okay, I'm mostly ranting here.

We've got quite a few, such as Classics, Masterpiece, THS, Robot Masters...but those are all skyrocket in prices. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Voyager G1-style Optimus again? For those fans who missed out on Round 1? Optimus may have a whole load of toys, but he is the original Transformer and probably the most iconic.

I personally would be satisfied with a simple re-release of any of those molds at their original retail prices, at retail.

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I'm for it! I love me some primes!

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I heard a rumor that henkei prime is getting released again...I hope it is true.

4. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't the 25th anniversary G1 reissue currently sold at a discount because it's shelfwarming?

5. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    It was $100 Au for months here. When it went to $30 I bought one.

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    There will always be a new one coming at some point. Classics wasn't too long ago, Henkei was an even shorter time ago, and the US G1 Pinkish reissue could be found on sale at TRU in December and (I think) January (hell, I got one a while back at KMart for $20). As someone stated, there is a rumored second run of the Henkei release, and Im sure we will get some surprise within a year or two. If not, just save up a little, they may have gone up in price a bit, but they are still relatively inexpensive.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I blame the Commander Armor sets for a large chunk of the high value of the classic prime mold releases and id welcome a rerelease to help bring prices under control

8. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't looked lately, but definitely saw it on shelves within the last 3 months (last time I was in TRU). Which means he's still out there somewhere at a half decent price is you look hard enough.

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    That would be nice. I'm thinking of buying one for display (although I actually don't collect...). But I don't really like to pay 30€ for it and than again 30€ for shipping...

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    That's true and all, and a lot of people like to collect Primes (that all red shelf is usually pretty eye-catching), but for people who already have the Prime they want and would like to see more variety on the shelves each season, having Hasbro budget out another Prime when something else could've been released instead is slightly irritating.

But, we are getting another affordable Prime. The Generations line has a deluxe-class Prime based on his War For Cybertron look.

11. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

i've never been a big Prime fan, but i really like the earthmode delux TFA prime, the WFC prime looks hawt and after getting nemesis prime i'm going to have to pickup the shiny chrome version HK re-release* and that's not even thinking about any of the MP primes,

it's a veritable golden age for Prime toys!

*(i actually want to transplant his chrome onto nem prime, but i dunno how possible that will prove and i love the mold anyway)

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

It is. The smoke stacks are cut off at the shoulders--looks really dumb. I thought I read the reasoning behind it was so kids won't poke their eyes out. Other than that it looks just like the G1.

I thought about buying one and replacing the smoke stacks with a spare G2 Prime I have.

13. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wasn't there a photo of a deluxe-scale prototype (or early pre-production model) of Classics Voyager Optimus in a Japanese book about a year ago? And it wasn't the Ultimate Battle Pack Optimus, which might be decent if the punching action was completely neutered. I wouldn't mind seeing either possibility in Generations.

+-MWG-+

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I think the safety issue is more about the long smokestacks being easily breakable and producing sharp edges on the break or small pieces a kid could swallow.

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    A G1 Optimus Prime + true articulation = BUY.

16. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Personally, I love the Optimus Prime toys, but what I would really love is a G1-ish Megatron figure. Not a G2 tank, or the Animated Helicopter, just a robot that turns into a sweet lookin gun.....minus the trigger crotch. Unfortunately this won't happen for all the same reasons MP Megs has been corked. :( 

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With Hasbro confirming that "Generations" will include popular figures from previous lines re-released, I think it's a given we'll see the earlier "Classics" of 06-07 back (except maybe Megs, as they can't even release him as a NERF gun anymore).

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Did you miss every single version of Prime ever made?

19. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha, no, not at all. It's just a shame that embarrassingly, I missed out on EVERY G1 Prime released (the one I regret the most is classics, when I saw it on sale last time). I have an Optimus Primal, an Animated Prime, and three movie Primes. I even have the Nemesis repaint of Classics Prime, but no Prime himself.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I guess at the end of the day I'd take a new Prime any day. I'd really like to see a new Prime that comes with a trailer; something affordable too.