Opinion About G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omega_Sentinel, Jan 25, 2012.

?

What do you think about G1 Adherance VS Creative Changes?

1. Stick to G1 story arcs and characters

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. I am a progressive. Bring in new characters and story arcs. Change is good.

30 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. Change some aspects of characters and backgrounds but stick to the basics we already know

21 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. I don't care. It's just a hobby.

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

After reading another thread I wanted to see if I am alone in this. I feel like new things and creativity is much needed in this franchise and welcome most departures from the G1 things that have been rehashed over and over for 25 years.

Are most of you open to new things in this franchise or just want to relive the concepts and characters of G1 over and over?

2. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I'm fine with small changes but stuff like turning Perceptor into Rambo and Skids into an idiot I'm not really fond of.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think you need to stick to the routes. My two favorite Transformers series are Animated and Beast Wars and both I feel are drastically different from G1. However, they both had several G1 nods, characteristics, and even tie story lines. Those two series were able to separate themselves from G1 and become their own entity while still maintaining the routes with which it came from.

This also might be more appropriate for general discussion.

4. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    personally I'm only interested in the G1 related stuff, whether it's toys, characters, story arc, comics, design or TV shows.
    The problem with constantly doing new tv shows is that they're always stuck with the same characters (more or less, some new ones), same background (more or less), same conflicts (war on cybertron - leading to earth, energon shortage, battle for energy, Starscream/Megatron etc).
    Instead of reinventing the wheel every 5 years, I wish they could focus more on telling one long and unique story.
    That said, reinventing it is probably the most economically sensical thing to do, so there's that. I'm a "movie hater", but I realize how much money they have injected into the franchise as a whole, so I can't complain. (but I do anyway :D  )

So to spin your question: no I don't want to relive the same G1 concepts and characters over and over (that's pretty much what we're getting now), and yes I am open to change as I want the original transformers story to evolve and change naturally over time, instead of eternal reboots of the same concepts and characters (who all come from G1).

5. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I think that there should always be some nods to g1 but i think new story arcs and characters are good. I think Prime is doing a fine job so far of mixing new with classic as well as animated.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I only want updated versions of G1 characters. Mostly this is because the G1 toys suck. Outside of a certain few (such as Galvatron and Scorponok), they are bricks, and a lot of them are fragile bricks. I loved them as a kid, but as I grew older I realized I only liked them for nostalgia. That is pretty much the reason I have been selling off some of my G1 reissues. I would rather have a new updated version of the character with multiple points of articulation than the original. That does not mean I buy all of the updates, as I really only want the ones that resemble the G1 cartoon designs. That is also why I loved the Animated toys. Despite being accurate to the show to a t, the toys were very G1 inspired (Blurr and Megatron are my favorites).

However though, my Transformers collecting days are slowly waning. I'm not sure if it is because of the cancellation of Animated, that I find Prime to be lackluster, or the movies to be utter crap, but I do not have the interest in TF I used to. I always thought I was more of a TF than a GI Joe fan, but lately I've come to realize I am a bigger Joe fan. I have a ton of Joe comics (the entire DDP run, various issues from the 90s of the original series, and now all of the Classic graphic novels), GI Joe cards I got back in the 90s, and I get more pissed off when talking about Rise of Crap than I do when I talk about Revenge of the Crapon and **** of the Moon. Whereas I have not really enjoyed any TF comics I have ever read (I did like the BW ones though) and after watching the G1 toon a few weeks ago, I felt no desire to buy any of the toys whereas when I watched all of GI Joe the following week, there were several I do not have I wanted.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i am all for change and progress but not at the expense of the solid foundation in which this franchise and fandom is built. G1 should and always will be referenced to a degree. By all means remold some characters but do not take away what makes them who they are .

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I'm a bit hypocritical. I want the Classics stuff to continue as a side line but for the main line I want something different with brand new characters. I'm tired of rehashes but at the same time I do love my collector-oriented G1 updated line.

9. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Yeah, turning Perceptor into just another soldier really turned me off ever getting interested in IDW. Perceptor was a helpless geek who would rather conduct experiments than fight; changing him into some badass sniper basically says "being the geek isn't okay, you need to get out there and kick ass or you're nothing".

Really made me :/.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I see your point of view, but I actually really like Perceptor trying out his sniper skills. I wouldn't want to see this in every interpretation of him, but it was fun to see.

11. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Agreed whole-heartedly. Guess I'm a hypocrite too.

12. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

I'm not fond of the Classics line. Just digging the new lines like Prime.
    ...I'm still a hypocrite though.

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to see them tell stories set in the G1 universe, but featuring new characters. It's time to give Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee and Starscream a break. Introduce new leaders with new teams, not necessarily Autobots and Decepticons, but make it clear that this is still the same universe and all the G1 stuff still "happened."

What I don't want to see is yet another origin story. We already have "Primus created them" and "the Quintessons created them," and that's one too many. Characters only need one origin story, too.

I like Prime, and I liked Animated, but it was hard to reconcile aspects of Animated with what has been done before. I particularly had trouble accepting Blackarachnia and Waspinator, since they had different origins in Beast Wars. I have to come up with a "fix" in my head that explains how nearly identical characters in very different universes can have very different origins.

I've explained it before like this: it's as if I invented a machine that allowed me to travel to parallel universes, and in one I met the "me" of that universe who was virtually identical to me in every way, except for the fact that he had two completely different biological parents. It just doesn't make sense.

14. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's why I want to see all these line simultaneously. I'll be passing on most of the Prime stuff. Not because I don't like it. But because it will just end up being another Energon or Cybertron line to me. Something that I would collect, but ultimately go into a box when I don't want to display it anymore.

However, just because I feel that way doesn't mean I want to take away from someone else's enjoyment of them. They can coexist.

15. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Keep characters as close to G1 as possible, but story can go where ever.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm not sure of the question. G1 is OVER. Has been for decades. Nothing created today -- whether toy or comic or cartoon -- is ever going to change that.

The IDW comics aren't "G1". They are a new continuity that is heavily inspired by G1. And TFP certainly isn't G1. So I'm not sure what the problem is supposed to be.

These are all just alternate universes, the same as Animated was or whatever else, so I don't have any problem with them giving us different versions of TF history or characters. What does it have to do with G1? Nothing.

I really liked the first issue of Roberts & Roche's MTMtE. Does it alter my viewing of the Sunbow cartoon? lol no. I'm sure I'll like the new RiD comic when I pick it up. Is anything in it going to make me not able to read the Marvel comics anymore? Of course not. I really like my Generations Kup toy. Do I now have to throw my vintage G1 Kup in the trash? Nope.

Nothing new coming out is G1, nor does it diminish my enjoyment of G1 at all.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Count me in this line.

18. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Bring in new characters, and change what we know. Evolving away from G1 would be the best way to go. Evolution is a slow process in nature, and it should also be one in Transformers. For example, each series has less of a focus on Bumblebee and Optimus Prime, and more focus on other characters.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In recent years the franchise has become too dependent on recycling old characters and old ideas, and has been (IMO) too reluctant to blaze new territory, gimmicks and concepts, even though when they have it's turned out pretty well (though my tolerance for gimmicks is a lot higher than most people's).

I'm all for remembering the history of the brand, especially the more obscure parts of it that don't get enough recognition (something that has been changing as of late and that I strongly support), but there needs to be a balance that brings the brand forward, and right now I feel things are too far on the side of "re-hashing", even though much of it is an attempt to reimagine old things in a new direction.

Do you mean just in regards to the toys, or the brand and it's fiction in general?

20. EmbraceThePurpl

EmbraceThePurpl Purple Dinosaur

I love originality, the major amount of fan wanking in Animated and the movies is why i dont like them much. New concepts and characters make Embracethepurpl happy