Opinion 4 new cartoon - No more Optimus!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TerraDestroyer, Sep 17, 2006.

1. TerraDestroyer

TerraDestroyer "Sometimes crazy works."

News Credits:
    Okay, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE on this board is going to absolutely, completely and utterly despise me, but I stand by my heretical statement when I say that, should Transformers: Heroes be created, there should be "NO MORE OPTIMUS," as it were.
    Okay, I understand that Prime and Megs are the best draw of the Transformers brand...but that's the problem: it's been about their "two sides of the same coin" conflict for 22 FREAKIN' YEARS...okay, so, not really. Here's how it goes:
    G1 - Optimus vs Megatron
    G1 - Rodimus...then Optimus vs Galvatron
    G2 - Optimus vs Megatron
    BW - Optimus vs Megatron
    BM - Optimus vs Megatron
    RID - Optimus vs Giga..er..Megatron
    A - Optimus vs Megatron
    E - Optimus vs Megatron
    C - Optimus...ah, you get the point.

The only times that it wasn't a straight-up Prime vs Megs were some of the post-G1 anime and the Beast Wars sequels...
    Of course, Beast Wars presented Optimus and Megatron characters who were thankful departures from the admittedly tried-and-true formula, so the concept works.

....alright, enough beating around the bush. What I'D like to see (and please mind that this is MY OPINION) are new 'bots and a new Prime, and perhaps someone OTHER than Megatron/Galvatron, but who isn't simply another power-hungry, crazed warrior-general.
    I would really like to see a new autobot inherit the Matrix of Leadership, either willingly or unwillingly, and have to deal with the new responsibility of leading a team to solve whatever problems are stirred up on Earth with their 'bots.
    Y'know...I guess, just something DIFFERENT.

Thoughts? Opinions? Tomatoes? Sharp objects?

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with you. I'd love to see Rodimus Prime take over the reigns again for awhile.

3. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Yeah, Optimus Vs. Megatron is getting really old

4. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    So I'm not the only one suffering from "Optimus fatigue".

I often wished they would use different characters other than Optimus Prime for autobot leader in the various toylines. Rodimus might be a good choice, or maybe Magnus.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I agree that they should shift focus to another pair of leaders. Either bringing back Rodimus and having him fight someone new or a Galvatron that wasn't Megatron would be one way. Or bringing in some of the Japanese leaders like Fort Max, Star Saber or Ginrai to fight their conterparts. Or simply creating something new entirely.

Problem is, Hasbro will never depart from Optimus & Megatron because they're a) iconic names and designs & b) a guaranteed cash cow... how many Megs & Primes do each of us on the board own? And how many will you continue to buy? I know I can't say no to an awesome Optimus design!

The only plausable way I can even see them switching focus would be to have Prime and Megatron as these other characters superiors and they either don't show up all that often or they show up in the begining, both are wounded and out of comission for awhile and than come back, because Hasbro would want these two in the current line even if we don't.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    To Hasbro, Transformers without Optimus Prime is like Spider-Man without Peter Parker.

7. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I'd like to see Sentinel Prime in this new series, then he passes the matrix to Optimus, and in the last chapters, Rodimus could take the lead.

8. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I can think of alot of differant ways to go, but it will be unlikely to happen, look how the kids flipped when they changed gears in 86.

9. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I will buy Primes as long as I like the designs, and they haven't really disappointed me yet, except slightly with the larger Energon Prime figure (the smaller two-pack one was fine).

That said, I wouldn't mind Prime stepping back. I'd still like him in the series so as to get a toy, but I could see him in an almost non-particapatory role, such as there only to train the next Autobot in line to be leader (such as Rodimus). I'd almost like to see Megatron stuck as a deposed Decepticon leader for the whole series, forced to take orders from the new commander (Starscream, Shockwave, Scorponok, Galvatron, someone new). And in the end, Optimus can sacrifice himself to take out Megatron, leaving "Rodimus" a clear chance to take out the new leader.

I doubt it will happen, but it would be nice.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm totally with you, but I doubt it would ever happen. There's the name right that need to be held on to like a trophy girlfriend, and similarly there's name recognition. A new line comes out, a kid walks into the toy aisle..."Oooo a new Optimus Prime, buy me that buy me that!"

I wouldn;t mind seeing a story similar to Energon, in which there are both Optimus and Rodimus Primes, but have Rodimus in focus. Hasbro can still make an Optimus Prime toy, and there would be something fresh overall. I'm really tired of the megatron to Galvatron upgrade, but sadly I doubt we'll see anything different anytime soon, once again back to the name rights

11. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

How about the Autobots elect a new leader... someone more violent? I guess they could be tired of fighting all the time and just want a leader who could put an end to it.

Demote Optimus Prime.

12. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think it was Hasbro themselves that stated that no Transformers series would ever NOT have Optimus Prime and Megatron. Apparently, Hasbro almost lost the rights to the name Megatron.

13. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

only reason i wouldnt want another prime, is because i dont wanna have to buy another one...because im a trained monkey like that you know....im tired of hasbro having me by the boo boo.......

14. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Y'know, there are ways to deal with 'Optimus/Megatron fatigue' that I'd like to see Hasbro and some decent cartoon studio take a crack at, two in particular:

Option 1: A 'War Within'-type 'prequel' series about Orion (not necessarily calling him Orion Pax or even Optrionix) and his misadventures at the dawn of the Great War with his friends Dion and Ariel - basically portray him like Peter Parker; a flawed kid who makes mistakes - like being a Megatron fan - and has to learn as he goes. The last season would probably involve him being forced into the War as the result of Megatron's actions, and ultimately have him take on the Matrix and become Optimus Prime in the final episode.

Option 2: A series set outside the Optimus/Megatron conflict dealing with Devcon or some other bounty-hunter type; basically Optimus pops in at the start of every show to give him special assignments that exist outside the Autobots' normal capacity to handle. Of course, his enemies would almost invariably be doing something nasty on Megatron's behalf.

15. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Bring back Star Saber, or have Hasbro/Takara come up with somebody new. I want a corrupt leader.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Option 2 sounds decent, but not for a long-running series.
    What I think would be cool would be the "out of action" approach - Optimus isn't on the field because he is required elsewhere (like Ginrai in Victory handing the reigns to Starsabre). Megatron is elsewhere, perhaps, with a new villain handling matters. First "arc" new hero VS new villain, ending in the new villain's defeat. Second "arc" (sort of episode 20 up) would then have Megatron take a personal stake because of ongoing events, perhaps they find something useful and he needs to take personal charge. This would all culminate in Optimus making a huge heroic entrance at around episode 26 and joining the main team. The next run would be Optimus and the new hero co-leading the Autobots against the Decepticons, Optimus sometimes delegating to the new hero since the new guy knows more about the situation and has his own contacts and stuff.
    For the last run, the main hero dies putting an end to the main villain, seriously wounding Megatron in the process. But being the cockroach he is, Megatron won't stay squashed and instead grabs and fuses with the other villain, becoming Galvatron and as a side effect, he gets some of the other villain's traits.

It's a different spin on an idea that's been done before. You could still cameo Optimus and Megatron frequently, even give them a two parter here and there to show what is going on where they are. But the main thread until they arrive on the scene would be the new hero. It'd be a bit like Energon with how they kept Megatron away for a few episodes, but on a larger scale.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

An updated Star Sabre type of leader would be really neat.

18. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A new Star Saber! Or Dai Atlas!

Or make Wheelie Prime!

I would be open to see some new leaders though.

19. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Like someone said, I doubt there will ever be a Transformers show without Optimus and Megatron. BUT, that being said, I think it's still a great idea to pull the focus back from them a bit. After all, in real life how often are commanders/leaders actually involved in the down-and-dirty battles of a war? Almost never! Optimus and Megatron would be mostly in the background making executive decisions and directing others, not out there blasting away at each other with the troops.

I'd prefer if they were present, but were fairly minor characters with little screen time. Then you could focus on the more "common-man" characters, the ones with really INTERESTING stories to tell.

20. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I would love to see a new series, with all new characters.