Heavy/Scratch: Operation: Revenge (Bruticus 2010) WIP (Update: 3.27.10 - new pics p3)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Mar 5, 2010.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Operation: Revenge (Bruticus 2010)

Here are the links to my previous WIP from back in late 2008 and early 2009 on this (some of which has changed):

Blast Off - WIP

Brawl - WIP

Brawl - WIP 2.0

Swindle - WIP

Vortex - WIP (scrapped now)

Well, since it's been months since you guys last saw any updates on Swindle or Brawl, I figured I'd update a bit with the others. These are just some shots I took over the last few days. These are only some early mock-ups of Bruticus and his upper half. Still figuring out what I want to do on the lower half. I'm trying to minimize the extra combiner parts, but the upper legs of Bruticus may end up being either Unicron or Primus thighs/knees. Not sure on that just yet.

As for what you see here, I took a cue (sort of) from Ninos and his Onslaught WIP he posted here. Originally, I had planned to use Universe Onslaught in this project, but I (like many) still didn't get that G1 Onslaught feel from him. After seeing what Ninos did with Onslaught's head on a TFTM Leader Prime mold, I started wondering if I could somehow make it work on a TFTM Voyager Prime mold that I picked up off turboedguy last summer. (thanks for the idea to try this out, Ninos!)

I removed Onslaught's head from his body, filled in the hole with putty, let it dry, then drilled a hole for the ball joint to snap into. After that, I took an old ball joint peg from an Energon tank (one of the Energon Bruticus Maximus tanks) and cut the peg off with the ball joint still attached at the top. I glued and puttied it into place where the old TFTM Prime head used to sit (the peg fit perfectly into the recessed area). After it all set and dried, I snapped the head on and took a look. The head didn't look too shabby on it--BUT, it did look kinda big due to the overall height of it. Onslaught's head is pretty tall and skinny. Anyway, I decided to mod the head to fit better with the mold, so I cut off the top of the head (you can see this where the black on Onslaught's head meets the putty). I then took some putty and applied it to the hacked up head, then sculpted a bit to get the general shape I wanted. I let it dry, then went back and cut the harder-edged details into it. I tried to sculpt the head to look like the top of Onslaught's head, but much shorter (making the head more round instead of tall). I plan to build onto the chest with styrene (either directly on the chest or a chest shield for Onslaught that can be removed to attach the Bruticus chest shield. I also plan to try and "G1" up the legs and a few other areas (to make it more boxy). Not sure yet, but I may stick with the hands that came with the TFTM Voyager Prime, since they help hold things together during transformation into Bruticus (as seen in the pics).

Also in the works is a new chest for Blast Off and Swindle. Swindle has a new hinge (no pics yet) that a G1-style chest will be built onto with styrene. This will fold up over the front of the Swindle chest you saw before that I did. As for Blast Off, I also used a soldering iron to heat the pin and remove the train parts from the forearms, then removed the shoulder pads. I plan to do something so that his hands can fold in and stay hidden, that way the shuttle mode looks better and isn't so bloated by train parts. Vortex will be done G1-style onto that TFTM Landmine figure you see in the pics. I stripped down most of the mold and kept the parts and bits I'd need. This will be a huge scratchbuild with styrene and other parts to turn this into a helicopter, which will have the transformation of G1 Vortex (for the most part).

*Credit for the idea to use TFTM Landmine goes to King_Starscream* (thanks for the inspiration, bro!)

I'm still unsure of what I'll use as hands for Bruticus. I may keep the Primus hands or I may go with something else. Any suggestions are more than appreciated. I scrapped the original use of the Primus forearms that I had planned to use--I want to keep this sucker mostly kibble free. If I do use the Unicron or Primus thigh/knee areas, I will try my best to incorporate that into an alt mode or try and do it up as a trailer section for Onslaught. This is still up in the air at the moment, but again, I'm all ears to any ideas or suggestions.

One last thing, the G1-styled chest shield will be used for Bruticus, but I have a couple of parts I'm adding onto it and I may build it up a bit larger--that all depends on how it all comes together and if the size works with the added bits or if it needs to be larger.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

This looks promising - nice!

~Z

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is looking great! :thumb 

Are you going for a movie-style Bruticus or more of a Classics/Universe version? I think it could go either way, depending on how you do the combiner parts (head, chest, limbs, etc).

4. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Very promising project so far dude!

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I like.

The G1 parts look great with those figures... it's not the first time I've seen Movie Prime as Onslaught, but I'm really liking the whole package you've got going here, and the way those smokestacks echo the traditional Onslaught/Bruticus back cannons is awesome.

Can't wait to see more! :) 

zmog

6. Crimsonthunder

Crimsonthunder Well-Known Member

Awesome!

7. mstyger87

mstyger87 mastercon

good luck man, hope it all comes together for you, looks promising so far. man i need to get my arse into gear and finish my one before others lol

8. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Coming along great. I don't really like the big plug in Swindle's body...

9. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Update #1:

Bruticus chest plate WIP (extra parts from a Cybertron Starscream TRU 2-pack figure--taken from the top rear of the jet). Still going for a G1 updated look. I'll reply to the comments soon, guys! (thanks for the interest)

I also added a Classics Astrotrain Leg Extension tutorial (did this extension for my Blast Off custom): Classics Astrotrain - Leg Extension Tutorial

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update #2:

More WIPs, suckas! (thanks for the interest guys! I'll try to find time soon to reply to the comments)

In these shots, you'll see my new and improved Swindle, Blast Off, and a shot or two of Brawl again (not much has changed with him--added a thin sheet of styrene to his chest and scribed a thin line into the middle of it, with more details to come).

Swindle - this is basically the same Swindle you guys saw before, but I took a small metal hinge and attached it to the existing waist hinge. From there, I built upon it with various donor bot parts. First up is the middle section of the chest (black). This piece was donated from the side steps of the alt mode on Energon Sledge (hard to tell in the shots, but the actual steps/stairs are what you see in the middle there). The two pieces that form the main bulk of the chest were taken from the removed shoulder pieces on Classics Astrotrain (or in this case, Blast Off). Since I decided he wasn't using 'em, I put 'em to good use. I was going for a mix of the G1 toy look and the Transformers: Visual Works artwork for him. I also added some small shin pieces which were clipped from the tailwings of a junker Universe Octane/Tankor. These pieces may stay or go--basically just wanted to do something similar to the artwork, without going overboard building it from scratch (but I may still go that route before it's all over). And last, I used a soldering iron and removed the Universe Hound Wheels and swapped in the wheels from said Energon Sledge. I wanted to make the wheels a bit larger, make them look different from Hound and his wheels, and give off that sort of older Jeep type of tire (I think they work well, even if they aren't a perfect Jeep wheel match). Oh yeah, I also removed the old combiner joint (Neo Shifters) and shaved it down on the top with my dremel and a metal file--now it is placed under the grill area (on the inside of the chest). This also may stay or go, depending on how I go from here (still thinking it over on how I want the legs to connect (which is why you haven't seen shots yet of it). Remember folks, Work In Progress!

Blast Off - same ol' Blast Off you saw before, same noggin (styrene built over a Universe Prowl head. The only real changes are as follows: I removed the shoulder pads, I used a soldering iron and removed the pins holding the train parts to the arms, and I cut up my old junker G1 Ultra Magnus chest shield to create a more G1-styled Blast Off chest (similar to the Transformers: Visual Works artwork and the Dreamwave artwork). These are basically all "updates" to the original G1-style and look (which is what Classics/Universe was all about). I plan to revisit the head and make it a bit cleaner (this was my first ever head build with styrene) and maybe elongate it just a bit--it may look a bit different, but it should still be pretty close to what you already see. The tailfin will be added soon--this shuttle will NOT look like a NASA shuttle and it will be what I'd call an updated type of look also. You'll still say "space shuttle" when you see it, but with the chest pieces the way they are and the way I plan to incorporate the fin, it will be a bit different. I'm sure you guys will dig it (hopefully). I also plan to fill in the gaps with some putty and/or thin sheet styrene. And lastly, not sure if you guys saw it or not, but I did a leg mod on him to make the legs a bit longer (and it adds to the overall look instead of being a rectangular chunk from the knee down). I added a tutorial on it here at S70, so check the tutorials if you haven't seen it yet.

That's about it for now. I'm hoping to finish up the last bit on these guys and move onto my major build, Vortex. That sucker will take some time and I'm itching to build on it some. Anyway, enjoy the new batch of WIPs! (*black & white pics for dramatic effect........nah, seriously, they're basically there to show you what they look like without your eyes being drawn to the wacky mix of colored parts*)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  10. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks for the interest guys! I'll try to find some time to reply to the comments here.

Allen - I'm going for a Classics/Universe "upgraded G1" look (Onslaught will have some styrene built up on him to cover some of the more obvious movie parts).

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Interesting... I was trying to figure out what it was that you did to Blast Off... among other things, you modded his legs by extending them similarly to how I did Classics Jetfire's legs, right?

It looks great!

zmog

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Yeah, man--basically the same way (just had to trim some bits out to allow it to slide better, but pretty much similar to that).

13. compute146

compute146 Well-Known Member

l love what your doing with this, bruticus, the combaticons always played second fiddle to the other combiners like devs and menasor, your doing this justice, kudo to you, keep up the good work
    colin

14. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Man, I've been eagerly awaiting to see the spin you take on this bad boy for a while. Onslaught frame looks great. With a little more work, he'll start to blend into the classics line perfectly.

15. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks again, guys! Here are a few more WIP shots since the last update. I'm still MIA for the most part (due to my damn laptop's AC adapter going out--still need to order a new one), so I'm using Stephanie's laptop (my fiancee) to comment and reply with. So I'm not in and out as much as usual, so if I don't comment back right away, I'll hit it asap.

I've done a bit more since I snapped these a couple of days ago, so I hope to take a few more shots and slap those up soon. From these shots, the legs will be a bit longer (I plan to add feet like the old G1 toy and Visual Works artwork) and while the torso looks a bit elongated, once the rest of the parts are built up on the mid section of Bruticus and painted, it should look better. It may still look a bit out of true proportion once the main build is completed, but I'm going for something like that instead of the overly bulky and ape-like arms which we've seen on some other Bruticus 'bashes (I'm not knocking them, because they looked great on those builds, but for this build, I want a more tall & lanky type of build kinda similar to the G1 'toon & Visual Works artwork--while also having that Bruticus look & feel, just more of an updated look). I'm still unsure if I'll keep using that original G1-styled head or if I'll build one or hit Francis up for one of his (it might be too large for this build though). Feel free to toss any tips or help on certain areas if you feel they need it. I'm still taking my time and working to make this one my best build to date--Bruticus was always in the top 5 of my favorites, following Optimus Prime, Megatron, Ironhide & Galvatron. As for the hands, I'm thinking of going with the Primus hands (not the forearms, just the hands) or maybe some MP Prime hands. I think the Unicron hands will be too large for this build, but I'm all ears to any suggestions on the mitts. And lastly, I'm planning to try and use the extra kibble to build either a trailer/launch pad for Blast Off or some sort of battle station. I build the chest section to allow Onslaught to "snap" in and out once he transforms into the main body of Bruticus. The legs will snap into openings that are being cut from under the Primus knees and the arms attach to shoulder connectors on Onslaught (which will hopefully be covered when I build over the movie-style in that mold).

Anyway, enough yapping.....on with the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I like the retooling of Hound you did to make him Swindle. Those wheels look really good on him. The combined mode is coming along nicely, but I'm looking forward to see how you solve the elongated torso you mentioned.

~Z

17. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    It was really good, then you added the legs. Now the arms are tiny.

18. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like this, looks great so far. What do you plan to use for forearms/hands? I got a couple sets of Unicron parts layin around, I may be able to part with one of them if you need it. PM me if you do.

19. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    That's the beauty of a WIP, gentlemen. :)  It's still being worked on and changed here and there.

Biotoakid - Thanks, but as you can see, it's all still a huge WIP. I haven't added the hands yet, which will add more length to the arms. I also haven't finished with the chest shield yet. I'm planning to build more onto it and the underlying mid-section of the chest. Once I've finished with that, the torso shouldn't look as elongated and it should look more proportional. Then again, I already mentioned this above and explained the type of look I'm going for (something taller, leaner, and meaner--instead of shorter, bulkier, with the usual ape-like arms, which is something I do not want on this build).

20. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

woah, i'm really loving this build man. looking forward to seeing what hands you go with!