Customs: Operation: Overlord

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Starscream NZ, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doing a massive clean out of my collection which is in storage, i came across the remnants of my Unicron Trilogy collection, and unearthed Cybertron Megatron. I've seen a number of repaints of this figure into Overlord, and being a big LSOTW fan, I'd like to add this Overlord to my collection.

Now, i'm not new to doing customs, however i'm new to doing good customs. I'd really like to make a real honest go of this figure. However i've heard various customizers give me different advice so i'm looking trying to collaborate the best ideas from some of the best customizers to do this one right.

So here's some of the main questions I have.

What are the best types of paints to use? Currently I have a collection of Tamiya? paints (forgot the actual name, come in very small bottles (like this)

[​IMG]

Secondly, and this is the issue that i've come across the worst. What is the best way to apply the paint? One suggestion I was given was to spray-paint the parts white, so you can start afresh. However I found this made the figures a lot more brittle and indeed my custom Breakdown ended up having his arm break, I believe due to this. Another paint-related question I have is whether it's best to disassemble the figure as much as possible to paint all parts of the toy, and if so, how long approximately do pieces need to dry? (if this was being done indoors not near a heater).

Sandpapering is another question I have, i've heard that this is an essential thing to do, however i've never done it as i've been concerned that this would reduce smoothness of the figures, as well as the details molded in.

I'd appreciate input from anyone who could be of assistance - I really want to make a good go of this so the less mistakes I can make, the better.

2. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

I'm only just working on my second repaint and i've already learnt loads! The tutorials here are good, but I've found using a Tamiya (or humbrol if you can get it!) flat matt white spray and priming it slow and steady is the best option before painting anything. If you're using dark colours, wherever you use them I would prime it in grey - and I just did lots of bagging of parts and using masking tape to stop the paint bleed into other areas.

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Paint:
    No right or wrong brand or type. But since every paint brand/finish is different, keep some parts/junkers around to test them on. I bought a dozen different purples until I found one I liked. Those Tamiya may be fine, I've used them before, but keep in mind paint gets old. You are better off buying fresh paint for the project at hand.

Application:
    I brush everything on, but some people have great success with a can of spray paint. I don't think you would want to invest in an airbrush right away. But again, this comes down to practice. Keep some junk parts around to test out your spraycan/brush skills. You don't always have to prime, or take the figures apart, but it is good practice to wash the figure thoroughly with soap and water, or model paint thinner.

Sandpaper:
    Most people think of the gritty stuff, but for customs, you want to go to the fine grit. Stuff that doesn't even feel like sandpaper. 800-1200 grit. While it isn't always needed, you can use it to fine tune friction points, or rough up areas that don't seem to take paint.

Practice:
    Most important. Practice your paint job on a junker. Don't start with Cybertron Megatron until you have your basic skillset/materials worked out.

Resources:
    Lots of resources here in the radicon section specific to Transformers. Also look online for model paint resources and tutorials.

4. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks guys, good feedback so far. I've done three-four figures in the past and for the most part had satisfactory results, Breakdown was the one that was screwed the worse due to what I think was the spraypaint.

I may test my luck on a junker or two first just to be sure, I think one of my strongest issues will be patience too. I prefer completing things asap rather that slowing down and perfecting it.