OPERATION MAGI - Let's buy the kids some toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobus Prime, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

As you know, money is tight for a lot of people this Christmas, and that means some kids aren't getting toys. Of course, toys aren't everything, but it's still no fun for a kid to wake up on Christmas, and find nothing from Santa, or to have to settle for something secondhand.

At the same time, the stores are overstocked with toys, and we still have wave 1 deluxes shelfwarming in a lot of places.

So how about we do what we can to take column B and move it to column A? There's a few ten thousands of us Transformer geeks online, at least. If a good fraction of us buy a few of these shelfwarming toys and drop 'em in the Toys for Tots bin, that will be a few thousand children who might have a better Christmas.

I know a lot of people here already do that. But let's make it a little more fun. Let's make a game out of it.

Go out and buy some toys. Donate them to Toys for Tots:

Marine Toys for Tots Foundation

or to a local toy drive, and then paste this code into your signature:

Code:
    [noparse]
    [url="http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/197183-operation-magi-lets-buy-kids-some-toys.html#post2512724"]
    [img]http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7893/opermagire4.jpg[/img]
    [/url]
    [/noparse]

Edit:
    Here's a more compact form:
    Code:
    [noparse]
    [url="http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/197183-operation-magi-lets-buy-kids-some-toys-2.html"]
    [img]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1691/magismlsh0.jpg[/img]
    [/url]
    [/noparse]

You will get a banner like the one at the bottom of mine. This will help spread the word. Hotlinking is fine; that's the only image on my Imageshack account. :D 

Transformers aren't everything. If you lurk or post on any other forums, pass the message on. Let the MLP collectors buy ponies, let the Barbie collectors buy Barbies, let the die-cast collectors buy Hot Wheels cars. Let's clear those shelves off and fill those bins up. It doesn't have to be anything expensive - do what you can afford. Let's make this the year of Geek Claus.

(Bins can be found at all Toys 'R' Us stores, and others as listed on the TfT website.)

2. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    This is a great idea.

For those out there that need further motivation, from a purely self-interested point of view, buying Transformers to give to kids will create new fans of Transformers. Those kids will grow up, increase their disposable incomes, and yearn for the days when they were small and Transformers were new to them. They'll put pressure, with their dollars, on Hasbro and Takara to keep releasing new figures and reinventing old lines. Hasbro and Takara will stay in business and continue to develop Transformers. By giving now, you're actually ensuring that YOU will have Transformers well into your old age!

3. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I'm a kid... :( 

GIMME ALL UR TOYS

4. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

It's cool. Use your allowance to buy one for another kid! :) 

I'm all for this! :thumb 

5. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Hah, if only.

Not trying to be an ass of anything, but I gots presents to buy for my fam :D 

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    great idea...i dont have much of an income these days but i'll try to do something about it

7. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is a great idea. There is nothing better than a big smile on a kid's face when they receive a new toy. I have 4 or 5 unopened Transformers in my car's trunk that need to be taken to a Toys for Tots donation location.

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can barely afford it, but this will be the 3rd year I will buy a gift for the angel tree at work...every kid needs something at christmas.

9. Autobus Prime

MP:

No problem. I'm on a tight budget myself, and I would never want anybody to overextend themselves, it's easy enough to do that already. Times aren't easy.

Still, even a little bit's good - if anybody's in Wallymart and has an extra $8 burning a hole in the pocket, might as well find a good home for a Space Prime or a Universe Sideswipe.

Casc: Toysfortots.org has a list of dropoff points:
    Marine Toys for Tots Foundation

10. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    all ready did, I am way ahead of you buddy :) 

11. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Ha ha, I've already donated my Cybertron Mode Prime to TFT. It's all good. I got another Iron Man fig that I may be giving out of the kindness of my heart as well.

12. Autobus Prime

OP:

That's cool. Do make sure toys donated to TFT are sealed and not wrapped, and please do put the banner in your sig. It's not about bragging, it's about raising awareness.

Here's a more compact form:
    Code:
    [noparse]
    [url="http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/197183-operation-magi-lets-buy-kids-some-toys-2.html"]
    [img]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1691/magismlsh0.jpg[/img]
    [/url]
    [/noparse]

Looks like this:

[​IMG]

(Also - I'm not a TfT "plant", as some Tformers members apparently think...:)  )

13. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I donated a GI Joe Sigma 6 windblade Snake Eyes to Toys For Tots this year.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I do this every year. I need to do it this year as well. I will try and do it over the weekend. It's a great thing to do. Not everyone was as fortunate as I was when I was a kid to get mounds of Gifts at Christmas.

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I've already bought three I'm going to donate myself, tho the where I'm not sure of yet.

--Moony

16. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have already donated my 4 to TOT...Animated Voyager OP, Activators Starscream, RID/Universe OP & Megatron, Universe Sunstreaker.

17. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I heard a toys for Tots commercial tonight and thought this exact same thing. I am definitely going to do this. I'm glad you've made it so streamlined..

18. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Donated to the toy drive box at the office. First one to donate, despite it being there for a week. Hoping to shame my co-workers into donating.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is something I plan for all year and I always keep an eye open for clearanced or heavily discounted TF items that I just hang onto until donation time comes around. I haven't been able to get as much this year, due to money being tight, but what I plan to donate...

- 4x Target-exclusive TFTM07 Deep Space Starscream (purchased for $5 each on clearance).
    - 1x TFTM07 Voyager Incinerator
    - 1x TFTM07 Deluxe Landmine
    - 1x TFTM07 Voyager Thundercracker (purchased on clearance)
    - 1x Classics Predator Minicon Team and 1x Classics Clear Skies Minicon Team (purchased on clearance last year, got lost behind some stuff and didn't get donated in 2007)

20. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I Get paid on Friday, just started my new job a few weeks ago and plan to spend at least 100 on toys for the local toy drive, I'd do more, but I won't have my 2nd paycheck untill after the deadline.

i'd personally like to grab a few of the better toys rather then shelf warmers to donate.