Operation: Bumblebee Part 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by IceMagnus, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm pretty certain Optimus was talking about Ratchet there, not Bumblebee--he was looking right at him with a slight smile on his face. Ratchet's attitude may have stemmed from his inability to heal Bumblebee all those years ago.

Ratchet went from a field medic to doctor; I know there might have been a few hundred or million years there, but for a Cybertronian, it may not have been that long. Ratchet, being one of a few Autobots left may have had to really pick up the reigns and make due, and for someone's who's first job or at least first important one, repairing a scout with vital news about Megatron may have been too much--failing most likely made matters worse.

Ratchet's inability to make human computers work with Cybertronian tech; his inability to build anything better than a ground bridge as well as his inability to successfully reconstruct synthetic Energon may all have to do with what he couldn't do for Bumblebee back at Tyger Pax.

I wonder if we'll see Ratchet working on synthetic Energon any time soon and perfecting.

2. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

Silas could always become TFP's first Headmaster ... :wink: 

*cough*achillesheel*cough*

3. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Gotcha. I couldn't tell if you had picked up on any of that from what you said. And yes, that would be about the last thing i'd expect in Prime :) 

4. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Oh dear...

5. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I figured that. Still, it reminds me of a story my friend told me about Botcon the year it was called OTFCC.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    oh wow, when Ratchet turns to tell Arcee the "steady, but much too large" line about Prime's hands, the wheel spins in his elbow from the momentum. a nice little touch.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that also happens with Knock Out's wheel kibble.

8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I had that same thought but a lot of people have been saying it's a metaphor to Ratchet's confidence which I think is freaking stupid if that's all it is. The two situations are completely different.

He's been repairing Autobots for YEARS after that one incident so it couldn't have effected his confidence too much or he would have given up being a medic a long time ago. Fixing Bumblebee's T-Cog wouldn't change the fact that he's still unable to fix Bumblebee's voice box any more than anything else he's done this entire series.

The only thing he could fix where the metaphor would actually make sense is Bumblebee's voice box in which case that would make 3 things. However sense it was said that he fixed two things I don't really see a metaphor being used there. Plus I really want Bumblebee to start talking.

That whole metaphor with Ratchet is a worse idea that Padme loosing the will to live in Star Wars.

9. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Optimus turned to Ratchet and smiled after Bee left..he was definitely referring to Ratchet regaining his confidence and pride in his ability to be of help since Bumblebee's injuries were the one things he couldn't fix

10. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How is that pretty stupid? Ratchet has always had doubt about him self building or fixing things from the beginning of his show. Be it the bases computers (which Raf fixed) or super charging the groundbridge (which didn't work, btw), Ratchet always approached the problem as though it couldn't be done...or as though he couldn't do it.

Mechanical repairs, sure, but not the biological ones.

Because Ratchet was able to fix something as complex as a T-cog he may give Bumblebee's equally complex voice box one more go and finally succeed this time.

But grief can bring folks closer to death. A person who has just lost their spouse is more likely to die sooner than someone who hasn't. A dog who has lost its owner can suffer a similar fate. Padme losing Anakin and feeling guilty about it (she helped him break a Jedi rule, lead to his demise) no doubt brought about a great amount of guilt and a horde of other downers. It was obviously a terrible burden to bear.

When we see Ratchet approach difficult problems with confidence in future seasons, we will know that it is due to his restored confidence;) 

11. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ratchet self-confidence being "repaired" is the way i read that scene. Both episodes made reference to Ratchet dealing with his demons. It makes sense- being a health care practioner is not an easy thing, and when an operation goes wrong it's normal to feel a sense of guilt or grief as the practitioner.

the line itself was a bit hammy, and yea the timeline of events is a bit stretched (ratchet's been feeling bad about this for how long now) - but in terms of creating character development for Ratchet in the show- it's fine. Better this than some flashback to some other time he worked a medical miracle, at least this exorcism of his demons related to the plot.

and yea the Padme thing wasss sort of cheesy in the movies, but after watching the clone wars cartoon it makes a little more sense cause there is years of interaction between padme and anakin - gives a little more weight to the relationship and their commitment to each other. Honestly though i always felt the secret relationship was a little bit much - really- no one else ever noticed? planet full of jedi masters? really?

12. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly I thought it was Ratchet's confidence, but I just rewatched it. After Bee transforms and Ratchet cheers it looks like her grabs his side, where his T-Cog would be, kinda makes me think now that he removed his own Cog and gave it to Bumbleebee without telling anyone.

[​IMG]

13. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ratchet sure is making great sacrifice to give his T-Cog to Bumblebee

14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

The problems you mention had nothing to do with Ratchet's confidence in his own skill. He's made it clear from the first episode that the Earths computer systems are to blame for his failing there. The technology just isn't advanced enough for what he needs to improve them.

Now what about that virus Optimus was infected with in the first season. Surly a life or death situation like that and being able to fix it is much more complicated and satisfying than an inability to fix Bumblebee's voice box. And Bumblebee almost died too, Ratchet wasn't able to fix the voice box but he did save his life. That doesn't seem very confidence crushing to me. I'm sure there are others like Cliffjumper that he couldn't save that he feels more guilt about than Bumblebee's stupid voice box problem.

To put it simply, it's stupid for two reasons. The main reason being how big a deal they're making over something so trivial. Well you saved his life but he can't talk so you fail as a medic. NO WHY DID HE HAVE TO BE MUTE WHY COULDN'T HE HAVE DIED INSTEAD! The second reason being it's just corny as hell. Chip Chase had some corny lines in G1 that weren't entirely out of place like this one is. It just seems weird to have this Optimus Prime say something so corny and out of place when the original Optimus never even did that. This Optimus is more of a bad ass, he did try to kill Megatron... you know... before the truce to defeat Unicron and loosing his memory.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's just holding his gut from laughing. Besides, Bulkhead and the kids clearly observed that he fixed Bumblebee's T-cog.

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Regarding what Ratchet says about Bantor being All Mandril until Ratchet put a Tiger in his tank.

I thought I'd share this advert for those who might not have got the "Tiger in your tank" reference.

Some people seem to have miss heard it as Tiger in his tail or similar things. But it refers to an Esso Fuel Advert campaign of many years ago.

Attached Files:

17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Very cool.