OpenPlay notSpringer (MP scaled)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Ruizu1990, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Aldolotron

Aldolotron Active Member

Not at all.

2. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Talk about cutting corners. First the face and now no paperwork. Oh well I guess the quality is still good.

3. Aldolotron

Aldolotron Active Member

The quality is awesome in my opinion. I did mod the face somewhat and added polish to secure the abdomen. Other than that, everything else is fine. Well he holds his weapons fine, but I'd prefer if they tabbed in his hands. That's it though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SMB73

SMB73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was wondering what to apply to help with that abdomen from coming loose. And yeah, same complaints from me. The face needs a replacement, the weapons need to be tabbed in. Other than these, he's a pretty cool figure.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Blasek

Blasek Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call that cutting corners. They chose not to do it, for whatever reason, their 'open and play' gimmick or not... If that is a contributing factor to keeping the cost so low, then I'm OK with it. All my instructions/collector cards just stay in the box and go into storage anyways.

Did polish to the tab help out? To me, it almost feels like the tab is just too big, and soft. So when I tried to tab it, it just pushes itself back out. Just looking for a definitive fix before I shave any plastic, or add any polish. I do agree that a tab on the hand would be a plus, but is doesn't really take away from the figure for me. The face in person isn't nearly as bad as the photos online either - though I would buy a replacement face if one becomes available.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Nope, and though I do think it really should have come with instructions, the figure is ultimately still pretty good.
    It's a little tricky to figure it out, especially the legs, but I figured it out on my own okay, so it's doable.

I think the main problem comes from Springer being a triple-changer - you're always second-guessing whether you move a piece for the next mode or save it for the third mode. I think when their Arcee comes out, it'll be a lot more intuitive just because she only has two modes.

For about half the price of the competition, I think it's a fair trade-off. I'm not sure about the face though. I wouldn't say that's cutting corners so much as they just didn't do a very good job with it.

Floor polish worked for me but then it loosened up again. I probably have to put more on it. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned heating it up with a lighter to get the thickness right. If you're careful, that should work fine.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Clear nail polish. And a layer of floor polish on that because it's theoretically more friction resistant (though thinner, hence the nail polish base).

8. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The face on the early render looked so much better.

9. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

So true --^ No idea when OP's next figure is coming, but I really hope they remedy this by including an alternate face plate for this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    I haven't done jack with my chest. Doesn't bother me as he just sits in a cabinet.

11. Michael Mercy

Michael Mercy Nerdmasté!

How does this guy's car mode look alongside MP Rodimus Prime's 'flaming winnebago of love' mode?

• Like Like x 1
  12. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. I just hold it down when posing and it doesn't give any issues when being displayed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dickyscrubbs

Dickyscrubbs Well-Known Member

Agreed, but if you trim it so it sits back further, it looks a helluva lot better....doesn't even really bother me now

• Like Like x 1
  14. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    To those that sanded the face to get the eyes to sit more flush, did you sand the two face plate "posts", or did you sand the edges of the back of the face plate?

15. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    I did it all by myself and didn't have to ask an adult! 20170920_132529.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Dickyscrubbs

Dickyscrubbs Well-Known Member

Don't sand the posts. You can shave the edges of the faceplate. Do a little at a time and go from there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:

Got it. Looks Great!!

IMG_3594.JPG IMG_3599.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  18. boomerdave

boomerdave Well-Known Member

Yeah I changed the eye post myself and added a touch of future so you can adjust the eyes in and out of the sockets to get the look you like. It's funny because if I want I can make them go back to how they were or do a full Futurama Bender on him since it's adjustable. :D 

That said, I really think still the eyes are the biggest problem. As they come out of the box, he looks like he's wearing a mask and his real face is hidden behind it with his eyes looking like that. Once those are fixed, he's much better.

19. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Open and Play Galvatron
    Not Arcee, apparently...

Someone remind me tomorrow and I'll take a photo of them together. I think Big Spring is a little wider than Rodimus but yeah.

I think the other major problem with his face is actually how rounded it is. If it was a little less spherical, it'd be more defined and I think he'd look better.

20. Blasek

Blasek Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1