Opening vs Not opening

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scourge_151, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not an MISB collector, everything I buy gets opened unless I intend to sell it on or it's a double of a toy I already have and I've acquired it by accident (which has happened a few times, damned eBay!).
    I can understand the appeal of MISB'ing to those that do, the toys do look good in their packages and it makes them hold, or even increase, their value comercially.

However, many of us 'openers' (for want of a better word) will very often buy an MISB toy and open it as we can usually guarantee the quality of the toy we're getting and that it comes with any accessories or other parts that its supposed to have, that would be a pain to hunt for otherwise (I had an incomplete Jetfire that took me 4 years to complete without spending a fortune, and has such put me off G1 collecting).
    The rarity of the toy is usually no factor in it being opened, in our eyes, however the MISB collector would then have one less chance to own this toy.
    Does this mean that someone who bought, say, an MISB G1 Stepper, has an obligation to keep it sealed for future or current buyers or should they be able to enjoy their purchase, guilt free, however they please?

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't think there should be any obligations at all.

The only obligations are to the owner themselves not for any others. If a guy had a MISB Liokaiser AFA graded and whatever and I bought it? I'd open that thing up for sure since my love for that toy goes beyond monetary value. But that's because I understand my obligations to myself differ from others. If I planned on opening a museum or donating my collection to one after I pass? Sure I'd consider MISB far more carefully.

But as of right now, MISBers are just keeping my potential purchases in excellent shape before I open them. :D 

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  3. AMG

AMG Old School

It's their toy, they can do whatever they want with it. Keeping something sealed in your collection for the benefit of others makes absolutely no sense to me.

On the other hand, if you bought it with the full intent to sell it in the future, then you really didn't buy it for your collection in the first place. You're just holding on to it for a while. In this case opening it would make no sense, you'll make more money keeping it sealed.

4. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dont have the cash to go after misb toys, I'd much rather buy a mint complete loose toy, than to pay for something misb. Now a G1 vintage stepper misb, I would have to keep that misb if I did own it(grade it, and then sell it by the way), and if I wanted to play with one-I would just buy the reissue. It makes no sense to buy all this vintage stuff misb if you plan on opening it and playing with it. buy reissues.

To each his own I guess,and if somebody wants to open their vintage misbs, more power to them.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    This is how I look at it. They are toys, they are meant to be played with.
    But it's YOUR toy, you paid for it and you have the right to do what you want with it.

6. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

To answer your question:
    If somebody buys a G1 Stepper, it is totally up to the buyer what they choose to do.

I don't expect an "opener" to save a toy MOSC/MISB in case I might want to buy it!

I only collect AFA graded MOSC/MISB Transformers. While I would never consider opening a MISB pre rub Soundwave, if an "opener" does, and wants to display him proudly, more power to him!

I collect items MOSC/MISB because I like the fact that they have never been handled by others. I collect them AFA graded to protect them, and increase their value if I ever do decide to sell them. If I want a loose Soundwave standing next to my graded Soundwave, that can be easily accomplished!

The best of both worlds!
    [​IMG]

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter what it is the tape gets cut, I sat down one night and cut open 15 misb luckydraws. I don't collect to make money or resell it's all for fun.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I space out my misb G1 opening. It's too fun to do all in one night! :lol 

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Open unless it's a back-up item who MAYBE would be opened one day,

Like, TFA Lugnut for example, I got two of the original release, the second is being stored if anything ever happens to open Luggy.

10. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Qutoed from fosterlager's Longtooth thread:

11. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    It's addictive, eh? :D 

I like to keep a few sealed vintage around for if I have a bad day, works a treat.

12. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

That's pretty much exactly how it is, different styles of collecting appeal to different people, and Da Last 2 Walk puts his point very well while having a lot of respect, which is how it all should be. Sometimes people are against "openers" or MISB/MOC guys which is honestly dumb.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have some Micromasters and an Action Master Jazz MISB that I'm saving for an emergency or a reissue drought. I also have some opened toys to sticker up too, that's another way to treat myself.

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Gotta go with the, "If you buy it, do with it what you damn well please" mentality. If it is something you personally bought for your collection, I don't care if you leave it sealed and pay to have some number slapped to it and have it stuck in some fancy case or rip the box open and toss it, you spent the money for it, have fun with it.

15. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I don't understand the fun in stacking boxes. I open all my toys.

16. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As I'm sure I've stated before. The only toys I keep MISB are Starscreams. The others I just haven't gotten around to opening yet.

17. Scourge_151

You put it very eloquently in your last paragraph, I feel the same. I bought a new Pepsi Prime from Botcon '07, I'd only bought it on a whim as it was pretty cheap (£1 = $2 at the time so $25 was a steal). I didn't bother opening it in the US as it was the last day and I wanted to get all my stuff packed into my suitcase (tight squeeze!).
    Two years later and I still haven't opened it, mostly because I looked on eBay two weeks after the con and he was already fetching $40 on there, and now they still fetch $40-60 so I'll hang on to it sealed for a while. I also feel no desire to open it up, I have an Encore so I finally have a complete Optimus toy of some kind, so fiddling with the same toy but in different colours holds no appeal to me. It's not that I don't like repaints either, I collect the evil Optimus toys as well and happily buy good repaints of toys I already have.

Funny how feelings go isn't it?

18. Scourge_151

For the guys who pay to get stuff AFA graded, is it purely on a protective aspect, as in keeping the boxed toy away from grimy hands or excess dust etc or is it a way of guaranteeing the value of the toy?

19. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    i'm an opening kind of guy :) 

20. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I open my figures most of the time. But in the last 6 months I don't have time to open them up. I just buy figures thinking to myself that I will get around to messing with them in a day or two. 6 months later almost all of the Transformers I bought are still sealed in the original package stacking in my closet. The only one I opened was TFA Blitzwing.

Maybe one day I will have the time to open them up. When that day comes, I bet it will be like a kid opening up Christmas presents. :drool: