opening the cards...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shadowfall1976, Jun 20, 2009.

1. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

does anyone have a way to open the carded Deluxes without
    destroying the package?

2. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used to use a heat gun or even a hair dryer set on high to go along the edges of the bubble where the glue is. It worked with Spawn figures, so I'm guessing it may work with TF's.

3. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

1)Take a pocket knife (or any blade)and slice the tape on the back of the card. You have to be careful not to cut the card. Work your blade through the tape lifting the plastic as you seperate

2) The top part of the bubble in the front, this is the hard part being that it's glued here. You just have to be careful to minimize tearing.

3)The bottom part of the front of the package. If you look closely, there is a perforated line running the width at the bottom take your blade and cut along this line.

If you do these steps correctly you should have a good looking card w/minimal damage. Note, for some of us it may take a card or two to get it down, but if you want to save the cards from the deluxes is w/o ruining them, its the best way I've found.

4. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

Note this does NOT work for ROTF - the cards are glued to front on all 4 edges. I use a knife to gut as carefully as possible on three edges.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    ^^^This is the best way I have found to open them.

6. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    Ima have to try that hair dryer thing myself.

7. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

yeah I was using a utility knife with the break off blades all the way out....
    I just wanted to know if there was a way to get the blister off without the
    paper coming off too, I know with Hot Wheels if you spray the back with
    Goof Off, the blister comes right off, and when it dries you never know anything
    happened, but on those the card backs are non papered cardboard, no artwork
    to destroy.

I guess I will have to try that one, I know I tried Goo Gone, while it removes the
    adhesive bond the paper still comes off with the blister, and the card stains.

Hasbro just needs to stop doing the cards that way and just tape them on or
    something, or at least have tham all like the Universe cards, taped on 2 sides.

and on another note, God I hate those damn twist ties.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm a ninja. I can get my toy out without ever opening the package or even touching it. But I can't tell you how, it would betray my master's teachings.

9. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

Henkei deluxes are the easiest to open without destroying the card or the plastic, because they aren't glued anywhere. It's all done with folded plastic tabs and tape. Takara really cares about the collectors. :thumbs2: 

Although I throw all the boxes away, so I'm not really sure why I go to the trouble of cutting all the tape carefully with a knife. Hahaha. It just gives me this satisfaction to open them cleanly.

Does anybody else do that and then still throw them away?

10. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i use the chuck norris method...the figure comes out on its own then seals it up and puts it in its place....nuff said

11. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I cut around the sides and on the bottom of the shell with my serrated pocket knife and then remove the inner tray. I have a $1 small set of wire cutters that make VERY short work of any amount of twist wire. I also keep the all of the packages for my TFs. Everything from g1 to ROTF.