Open or not to open, that is the question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ejack37, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Ejack37

Ejack37 Robot in Disguise

News Credits:
    So...how much value does a Transformer really loose when opened? I know the smaller figures lose value but what about the MP ones that have limited runs? I have all these MP Transformers staring at me asking for freedom. Decisions, decisions.

2. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    I would ask which one if it's a prime go ahead, if it megs, don't waste your time,if its starscream go ahead, if it's grimlock, go ahead. if it's rodimus it depends.

But they're your stuff so do what you must.

3. Ejack37

Ejack37 Robot in Disguise

News Credits:
    Megs? Don't waste my time opening or buying?

4. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Opening a Masterpiece seems to have little if any impact on its value.

5. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Toys are for fun not profit. Sometimes they can become profitable, but it's a crap shoot. I'd rather maybe lose money but definitely have fun than maybe make money and definitely not have fun.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Pretty much what I was going to say. They lose more value to me sitting in a box. I'd rather play with the bots at least once.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If anything, they gain value once removed from their boxes. For only once they are removed are you able to truly appreciate them.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Open the boxes carefully and keep all the paper work. Make sure the boxes can be repackaged later if you ever decided to sell your figures.

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on what you are planning to do with it. I open everything. I don't plan on selling it and if I do, well, I just take the loss if necessary. I guess it just depends on whether you are buying for yourself or for an investment

10. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

If you plan on selling the toy one day, you best not open it. But if you're like me and have no intention of ever selling them, open that bad boy up!

11. AMG

AMG Old School

If you want to open them then do it.

12. clankizle

clankizle Well-Known Member

I open 1 of everything! I don't want to pay to look at a toy in the box.

13. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    This!

14. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah! and you cant even see the MP's.. only the US ones

15. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I used to leave a lot of my stuff in the boxes.Then one day I said screw it,I'm not in this to make money down the road.I now open everything up and don't regret it.

16. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

If you plan to sell your collection in the futures, do not open any of them. Even the box needs to be in the mint condition - no fading, no bend or ding...

17. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    Since nobody has taken the time to really answer your question, How much value do they lose?, I will do it.

Transformers are unique in that they still can hold very good value opened up. There is a reason. You can buy Star wars, Spawn or Sports figures and they look the same on display as they do in there boxes. Those can be displayed in the box and look great. So in the box is how collectors desire them.

Transformers on the other hand, have a calling, a reason to be opened. They actually REQUIRE you put your hands on them to make them work in the manner that they do. So most collectors who buy them want to open them to see how they work and feel it.

An opened Star wars, Spawn, Sports fig would be worth a much smaller amount when opened, maybe 15-35%. But if the Transformers are kept in great shape, have the weapons and all parts and paperwork, they often can retain values of 75-90% and even higher in some cases. just because of the nature of the beast.

Hope that answers the question you were looking for.

18. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    I've pretty much opened every toy I've ever gotten, only because you can't truly appreciate them until they're free of the box. I do try to keep their original packaging, complete with the twist ties and instructions though, both for something to keep them in when they don't fit on my shelves, or if I sell them down the line.

The only exceptions to this are MP Rodimus, who I'm not sure I'm keeping just yet, and a double of Generations Thundercracker.

Also, in response to the OP's question, it also can depend what kind of environment you're in when the toys are opened. Is there a smoker around? Pets? Do the get a lot of sun? Gotta watch out for that stuff.

19. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    Occassionally I really like the way the figure looks in its package...the artwork, and package design especially...in those cases I buy two...one to open and one to hang on a wall...for instance I have a Deluxe Beast Wars Sonic Attack Jet that's MOSC...is it a particularly rare figure? Not at all...but it looks cool as hell in the package.

20. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I "suffer" from the Free Then From Plastic & Cardboard Carbonite disease myself. So much that, even though I've bought the classics seeker mold at least 8 times, I still opened them all and had to transform them asap. I agree with the sentiment of most here, open them if you plan on keeping them and don't if you plan on using them as trade fodder or plan to sell them later on.