Customs: Onslaught Updated oct 25th.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rhinox555, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

[Disregard this]So i'm picking up supplies to start working on my first scratchbuilt tomorrow.
    Onslaught will be the first in a line of kitbashes that combine the classics,g1,masterpiece and alternators aestethics. Not sure what to call this fan series yet.
    I've got the basic transformation scheme in my head, Onslaught will be about deluxe or voyager.
    I included a basic MS Paint sketch to show what i'm going for.[/Disregard this]

little update: slightly improved deco + hypothetical G2 Deco added.
    'nother little update: Older two Onslaught concepts removed and replaced with one that has a door, didn't give G2 Onslaught one yet, but i don't intend to do G2 Onslaught as an actual custom yet at this point.
    Update, Oct,25th: I accidentally got a kit that's way too small, i will still be doing Voyager Onslaught, but i'm gonna go with this Legends class Onslaught first.
    The kit is a 1:76 M19 Panzertransporter and looks Onslaughty enough.
    [ATT]16017[/ATT]
    I took it out of the box, and looked in awe at the sprues with many different little parts. A bunch of them will be discarded though, i mostly need just the cab and bits&pieces of the tank-carrier.
    [ATT]16018[/ATT]
    I think i only did some tiny Star Wars kits and a Gundam kit before this, neither of which required glue or paint, so it'll be a challenge.
    On the plus side though, the fact that it's still on sprues makes it easy to basecoat, the first layer of the black basecoat is currently drying, i would take pictures but the camera is too blurry to really show any difference between dark green and black. or my hands are just too unsteady, my motorical skills are far from perfect.
    Well, once i start putting the kit and whichever bits&pieces i use together, i will start a thread on the projects page, untill then, stay tuned here.
    Small update again, removed the concept layouts because they'd give false hope now that i'm not making it transformable.

Attached Files:

• Box.jpg
      Box.jpg
      File size:
      136.1 KB
      Views:
    • Kit.jpg
      Kit.jpg
      File size:
      127.6 KB
      Views:
  2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Eager to see this. Though you've been posting for several months in all the custom TF boards, this is the closest I've seen to "your" work so far.

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Do eet!! Do eet now!:thumbs2: 

Long trucks can be a real pain in the butt as I am learning. I am doing a "perfect" transformation Movie Ultra Magnus right now. He uses 2 Voyager Primes and will be a car carrier! For Voyager class, he ends up being 14-15 inches tall!

The point is, be patient and take your time. TF schemes that may work in your head or on paper may require something totally different when you are "bashin' plastic"! Good luck, I'm anxious to see progress!:thumbs2: 

4. Rhinox555

Yeah, didn't post any of my old customs, i had a fairly good Ironhide once but i just kept working on it more and more untill it resembled a puddle of molten plastic more than it resembled ironhide :p . Did some Drybrushes using your tutorial, but don't have a camera that really captures the detail.
    Some battle damage customs laying around where i made a few bad moves, but i learned of those mistakes.

f*ck yes,Ultra Magnus is my favourite character of anything ever, so i can't wait to see that.

5. big hank

News Credits:
    HA HA ! If it ain't broke, fix it until it is! We've all "over" modded our customs. Best you can do is salvage the joints and good parts and put ';em in you parts bin! :thumbs2: 

6. Rhinox555

That's gotta be TheTransTorture's motto :-D

7. Rhinox555

Okay, i accidentally bought a set that was too small, so i'll be building a scout-class Onslaught first, that will be fun too, as Universe Legends Class Onslaught is disappointing, so this will be my 25th anniversary legends class Onslaught then. Don't worry, i still intend to do voyager Onslaught later.
    Meanwhile, Peaugh's video on Cyclonus gives me an idea for Onslaught's bruticus-torso mode, maybe i'll do another rough concept layout of that.
    I'm going to take a picture of the Kit i'm using, it's a panzer tank carrier and it looks enough like Onslaught to be a good homage, yet different enough to fit into the aesthetics of my fan-series, which reminds me: Does anybody have suggestions for the name of this fan-series?
    If the final result looks and feels good enough, i'll throw Bumblebee, Optimus prime, Powerglide and Vortex onto the drawing table.
    edit: Kit pics added.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

LOL, new word: "Onslaughty" :lol . Love expanding my vocabulary. :thumb 

9. Rhinox555

I've slightly made up my mind about Scout Onslaught, i've decided to not make him transform so i have more time for the bigger Onslaught.
    For a first scratchbuilt, working on such a small scale and making it transform would be a suicidal project. Instead, i'll attempt to use this kit for a revoltech style Onslaught, his scout class-size should make him roughly the same size.

10. Shinobitron

Shinobitron Cybertronian Ninja

Ebay:
    Best of luck to you! Can't wait to it completed!

11. Rhinox555

I'm going to start the layer of Drybrushed aluminum today.

12. Rhinox555

Anybody know what to use for lower legs? Upper legs are coming off a Cybertron Swerve.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Was this the WWII vehicle Onslaught's body was created from in the cartoon before before adopting a more modern look? This will be interesting for sure.

14. Rhinox555

Onslaught didn't apparently use an existing vehicle, so i went with something that looked enough alike.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I think when Starscream created the Combaticons, he used the remains of the WWII vehicles as a base. Needless to say, this alt mode is nice. It'd be cool if you adopted a WWII aesthetic with all of them, with the exception of Blast-off obviously. This is assuming you'll be making more.

16. Rhinox555

Yeah, he even used a Spitfire for Vortex (who magically turned into a Helicopter afterwards), though Vortex turns into a helicopter that was introduced after WWII.

17. Oculophage

Oculophage Likes shiny objects.

Ebay:
    I thought he was an M16 Half-Track?

edit: Wrong number, lol.

18. Rhinox555

I will definately attempt them if Onslaught goes well. And i do intend to keep the WWII aesthetic if i do. I'll see what i'll do for Blastoff. For now, i'm focusing on Micro-onslaught, and then the bigger, transformable Onslaught.
    Which reminds me, Construction of Onslaught's torso has begun, i'll try to take a decent pic. But that would be actual wip pics, so that means i'll open a thread in the heavy mods section.

19. Rhinox555

20. big hank

News Credits:
    Choo Choo! I'm aboard, let's see some more magic!:thumb