Onslaught Reborn

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by OmegaScourge, Jan 13, 2008.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

anyone catch the final issue of this comic....

spoilers:
    Onslaught looks like a freak without his helmet.
    Bucky flies into Onslaught sending him to the Negative Zone
    Bucky ends up in another Earth, tries to look for Cap but finds he's dead....which i think is proper Marvel Universe Earth...

2. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I don't know what to think of this series. I got it because I loved the original story, I like Loeb's writing, and it was originally supposed to be for the carity started in Sam's memory. But...I don't know. It just seemed....off.

Maybe I need to go back and re-read the whole thing at once.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I had forgotten about this series, and didn't buy it because I don't support Rob can't finish shit Liefeld. I may read the trade in a bookstore one day. ANd ugh, thats one more character to make the 616 universe even more unbearable.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's Jeph Loeb and Rob Liefeld, why would anyone read this? :crazy: 

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

caused i somewhat enjoyed the original ultimate universe (aka Heroes Reborn)...enjoy Onslaught...and at times, enjoy Loebs writing...

and i thought it would end good...but it didn't

i wonder til we see Bucky meeting Bucky/Winter Solider/Captain America

6. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Onslaught had potential, but like Carnage, Marvel proved they can take a good villain and turn it into a joke thanks to their inability to tell a coherent story. Take Onslaught, a being so powerful he could pretty much do anything he wants... yet his plans make less sense than all those times that Two-Face decided to rob the 2nd National Bank on February 2nd at 2 PM. I'm still working on what Onslaught's motivation was or why he failed so miserably(much like Carnage, they have to throw every hero available at him, he still won't fall, only to get beaten at the last minute for no reason).

7. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From what I recall, Onslaught's motivation was that he wanted to consume other powerful mutants with reality-altering powers, X-Man and Franklin Richards, and then basically grow to be a hugely powerful being and do the things that hugely powerful beings do, because of his combined Professor X/Magneto insane mind deal.

Of course, it really doesn't help your grand story if you basically just introduce this hugely powerful being with the premise of having everyone in the Marvel U go up against him, and then start the story in the comics without actually conceiving any more about the character. That said, I did enjoy the original story at the time, but Onslaught Reborn...I mean, you knew it going to be train wreck before it even began, and boy did it live up to those expectations.

8. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never been an X-men literate Marvel person anyways (Avengers all the way!) so I've always just seen Onslaught as a hollow plot device/reset button for the end of '95... and never complained about it bc/ it meant that in '96 we got the amazing Heroes Reborn stuff with some completely awesome storytelling and radically different art from anything before it (HR's Promethean Armor is still my favorite Iron man suit ever.)

9. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The original story with Onslaught was told in X-Men and was done nicely. Basically, Xaiver wiped Magneto's mind but kept it in his own and BOOM ... too much stress, too much work, make Xaiver manifest Onslaught. They were able to finally finish the "traitor" storyline that had been going on for 10 years and it worked as a nice retcon to bring back Magneto (or Joseph, his evil clone brother!).

I guess the dudes in Marvel were like "GASP" ... let's take the X-Men villian, use him against the rest of the Marvel U, totally fuck up everything and retcon the universe! Nothing says SALES like "#1"!!!!!!!

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Now now, it was only 5 years. The "Traitor" storyline started in 1991 :p 

11. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    It has been a while since I read the Onslaught saga so some details are a bit fuzzy, and it is a little late at night for me. It wasn't so much as Xavier keeping Magneto's mind in him as it was Magneto's dark side planting a small part of itself into Xavier's astral form. I think the first time Onslaught was even mentioned was when Juggernaut landed somewhere in the States, I think Onslaught threw him at least a few hundred miles or so. At one point before Onslaught attacked the X-Men it revealed to Jean that Xavier was in love with her. Why it did that I can't remember. Onslaught also knew that the Beast that was currently with the X-Men was actually the AOA Dark Beast.

Onslaught attacked and defeated the X-Men. If I remember right it shared Magneto's vision in a way by wanting Mutants to rule the Earth. Once Onslaught got a hold of X-Man he learned of the Age of Apocalypse and at that point I think it might have decided to hell with everyone. Onslaught did not understand why Magneto and the X-Men would want to undo a world in which mutants ruled.

Personally Onslaught would have been a great villain. The sad thing is Marvel wanted to make him this uber-villain that everyone had to stop.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem with the original Onslaught storyline is that it was pretty much written on the fly. The Age of Apocalypse was over and Lobdell wanted to introduce a new villain that could rival Phoenix in power. So he came up with a name and the idea of Juggernaut being tossed across Canada. Beyond that, he really had nothing. So as the story built up the writers had to pretty much just make it all up as they went along. And then, to make it even more complicated, the X-Men writers suddenly had to include all of the other heroes and subsequently kill them off for the Heroes Reborn relaunches. To this day, it amazes me that the story turned out even halfway decent, when by all rights it should have been a colossal train wreck.

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yeah, if they had keep Onslaught out of the mega-crossovers super-villians range he would've be a greatly reoccuring villian. He had to the potential to really become the X-men's greatest villian.

14. gil

gil Godmaster

Onslaught might be cool, but if they kept him around, he would be shitty. Look at Apocalypse. He should be a major villian, but everytime he shows up, it seems wrong. Writers don't know how to write him. Also, I read X-Factor. The latest issue had Mr. Sinister.....Dead!!! WTF, Mr. Sinister should be badass too, but again, writers make him dead. I have a good feeling Onslaught was a recurring villian, he would be shitty too.

15. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dead? This is comics, nobody stays dead.