"Only We Have The Right To Be Called By The Name"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ams, May 17, 2007.

1. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's an old G1 commercial I ran across on Youtube. It starts about 2:13 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2x1tc1O_7s

I've seen a lot of G1 commercials over the past few years (on Youtube and as special features on various DVDs), but this is one of the few I literally haven't seen in 20+ years, but one I've always remembered.

Even as a kid, I was really struck by the fact that they actually dedicated an entire commercial to reminding kids and parents not to buy anything but authentic Transformers--and here it was, airing during the Gobots cartoon! It reminded me about how many other toylines and companies attempted to piggyback onto the mind-boggling success of Transformers at the time. I wonder if we'll see any of that this year as well?

Specifically though, watching this reminded me of getting in trouble with my mother for pointing out that the toy her friend's son was playing with was not a REAL Transformer. I had to apologize.
    :lol 

2. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    That campaign was sheer marketing genius! Especially since GoBots did beat TFs to the market by a good six months and were outselling them at the beginning :)  Transformers made the robot craze the frenzy that it was, but even GoDaiKin was out almost 2 full years before TF's debuted! Poor distribution then hurt TF's once they started becoming really popular and helped GoBots that much more. Turning GoBots into the "Second rate" Transformers and the objects of scorn on playgrounds everywhere probably single handedly saved TF's place in toy aisle history. (Heck for a while TF's had to fight off the import stores bringing over Diaclone to compete :lol  ).

3. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I son't ever remember seeing that commercial. Great concept though.

4. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Awesome find!
    Megatron with dark blue helmet....
    priceless

5. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

Funny, great commercial though. My god the fashion sense was horrible back then, what were people thinking, adn it's nice to see that the packaging for Skittles hasn't changed.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, it was such a terrific time for toys... most of us (my friends and me, anyway) were really into SW, as RotJ had just come out. We were only somewhat aware of the robot stuff (Robotech, Voltron, Gobots) and didn't like any of it. But when TFs hit, we were all hooked... and anything and everything else was a TOTAL CRAP TF RIPOFF, regardless of when it came out! :lol  No doubt this marketing was a factor for some kids.

For some reason we gave MASK the green light though. That was the first TF-ish product we all seemed to like.

7. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

such a mean campaign lol, but hey it works...I mean killing off the gobot leader probably wouldnt have gotten the same reaction killing off prime did.

8. gunman_sr5

gunman_sr5 Energon Station Comander

News Credits:
    Leader 1 you can't die. lol

I remember that one. Nice find!

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Beware...

THE C-L-A-W!!!!!!

And I don't even recall learning stuff from Popeye. Yeah, like, I wanna learn crap from a 'roided-up freak. :) 

Good stuff!

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. Being called Transformers, not so much.... :lol 

11. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    maybe im just bias, but that transformers commercial was way cooler then all the rest of them

12. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Dude, that Skittles commercial freaked me out.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I remember that commercial. And that freaks me out.

I remember the TF commercial too..don't think I've seen it since it actually aired either. I do remember how the whole real TF/rubsign thing instantly made Cassette Man, Shackwave..even lingering Diakron stuff, unacceptable. I remember seeing a Diakron red Sunstreaker after TFs were TFs and being all "Pssh!" Aargh..stupid kid.

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    It's a weird commercial - how they used the original comic version of Megatron yet kept Thundercracker at the forefront of the Seekers and featured so many Season 2 Autobots. Makes you wonder if it was animated before Season 1 & 2 even aired.

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Youtube is blocked at my workplace.:mad  However, I do remember the commericial. Besides this, this is where the rubsigns came from too. Only real Transformers had rubsigns then. :D  Faction symbols were also another dead giveaway. Transformers were/are unique in all the robot figure lines. They came with their own Bios, and Tech Charts with the secret decoder (red piece of clear plastic.) It's too bad Hasbro gave all of that up, as now Tech Specs are often only online, if at all.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

:lol 

I don't remember the commercial, but it's pretty boldly hilarious. I don't think you'd see that kind of advertising today.

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

"Only the transformers are real transformers." :lol 

18. Draco Prime

Draco Prime Autobot

Transformers: "We are the TRUE, The Proud and the mighty. And if you Go-bots get in our way, just go ahead and read the boss mans signature down below".

19. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Cool flashback...I pretty much remember all of those...the "storybook" in the beginning was one that stuck out the most...side note: for all the older TF commercials...even as a kid I thought it was pretty stupid when the kid says "robots in disguise" in the the robot voice...always wanted to punch him in the face...gotta love the eighties...

20. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure I read that Marvel (not Sunbow) created a lot of test footage before the 1st series began. I would love to see more.