Only show accurate characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by AniProwl, Nov 10, 2008.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I read somewhere on Derrick Wyatt's blog that whatever character appears, they will appear to be true to their G1 or BW cartoon counterpart. For example, Shockwave becomes another one-eyed suck-up of Megatron's like the G1 cartoon not the mysterious planner like in comics.

What do you think of this?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    As much as I love Animated, this is a tad disappointing. Ever since my earliest exposure to TF fiction, I regarded the comic interpretations of the G1 characters were far, far superior to their cartoon counterparts - this view of mine persists to this day. BW is another can of worms, though - the characters were great no matter where they were depicted.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering I find the show versions alot more iconic, kinda happy actualy.

So uhh, I wonder how SHOW ACCURATE some kind of comic-only character would be?

4. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I doubt that'll be true %100 of the time.
    Just look at characters like Prowl and The Constructicons.

and they've already done a few comic only characters.
    Such as Sentinel Prime and Spittor.

Although Sentinel is nothing like any of the G1 characters,

5. Aluinashryu

Aluinashryu Decepticon

This doesn't sound right. Link please...

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

That'd be fine with me [/doesn't read the comics]

7. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Here's the exact quote from Wyatt, just so we know what we're talking about:

Personally, this suits me down to the ground. I have a lot of respect for the way that the comics have evolved and augmented the TF universe over the years, but for me the shows and movies have always represented the core of TF fiction, and will always remain, with a handful of exceptions (*cough*Primacron*cough*), the continuity that I feel should take precedence over all others. But that's just me...

8. Aluinashryu

Aluinashryu Decepticon

Thanks, now i see. Good enough reasoning to me... im all for it.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Practically he's saying he enjoyed the cartoon more than the comics, but that doesn't mean they will never take influences from the comic if it should fit a character or situation better.

So I'd say the statement made by AniProwl isn't correct.

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I'm sorry about misquoting him

The quote from his page said he might get influence from comics.

Although this Shockwave with Soundwave, and Blackout will be praising the gloriuos Megatron.

Animated Megatron will have 4 suck-ups in this show now- Might as well have them praise Megs for five minutes straight

I'll still watch season 3 and beyond

11. Silent_Magnus

News Credits:
    With the characters we have so far. The only one that seem to homage the G1 cartoon version of their namesake more than their Marvel comics self is Shockwave.

Most of the other characters have substantially different personalities than their namesakes.

P.S. Almost forget about Grimlock, although he seems to be in between.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope Soundwave never gets CLOSE to the main Decepticons, all by himself as a revolutionary is alot better than Lugnut 2.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I agree 100% with Wyatt about never really liking the comic versions of many characters compared to their cartoon counterparts, so I'm glad he's using the show as a template to work from. That said, I think they kind of dropped the ball on a few of them when translating from G1 to Animated.

14. Silent_Magnus

News Credits:
    He basically said that he looks at all appearances of a character when making an animated version. He just happens to favor the G1 cartoon over the comic.

And remember he's just the Art Director/Lead Character Designer. Although he probably has some input. He's not in charge of creating the personalities and story.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Oh I know. I'm not so much talking about personality differences as I am about visual differences. There's 2-3 characters who I just personally happen to think would have benefitted a lot from retaining their original color schemes the same way that the rest of the Animated cast did. Not a complaint - just a critique. :) 

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I read Derrick's quote as:

"Transformers Animated won't be complete until we throw in Jigglypuff and Psy Duck to the list of B Squad villains, muwahahahahaha!"

But that's just me.

17. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    "Based on" does not mean "will be exactly like". He'll do what serves the character and show. He's just saying that he favors the original G1 cartoon interpretation of the characters over the comics.

--Moony

18. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

*imagines Grimlock vs Psy Duck*

This can end only 2 ways. Roast Duck, or a very confused cast of Autobots.

19. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Obviously this isnt a hard and fast rule so much as his preference there are large differences between Animated versions and the original versions of several characters.

I took it as him responding to the post above (which is mine incidentally) that if Ravage and/or Ratbat were to appear they would be based of their G1 versions not BW/WWI or whatever which in Animated really just means if they show it would likely be as new instruments for Soundwave.

AniProwl I think you are overreacting.

20. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    I don't think Shockwave is a suck up. I think he's just a loyal soldier, something the Decepticons aren't used to having.

As for the comics vs. cartoon, I prefer the cartoon personalities MOST of the time. I like Ratbat being able to speak, especially his origin in Megatron Origin. As for Grimlock...well I dont think he should be smart, but he shouldn't be as stupid as Season 3. I think they are writing him great.

Don't worry. Besides, of the characters we have, the only characters that REALLY are like their G1 self are Megatron, Starscream, and Jazz (Though it seems we are getting a rather nice Waspinator in the future that judging by the end of Autoboot Camp will probably be a dead ringer for BW, except he has a drive). Everyone else is different in many ways (Prowl being a ninja, Ratchet being old, Prime being young and rather inexperienced, Bumblebee being self absorbed, Blitzwing being...Blitzwing). The main thing that is being homaged is not their personality but their looks.