Only one nagging question I have: Why didn't they pick Welker to voice Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Cryptwire, May 11, 2010.

1. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Aside from Bumblebee, we don't even know who is doing those voices. For all we know it might actually be the original voice actors. I mean Cullen's already in the lineup; do we know that he isn't voicing Ironhide? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually have to agree with this. It fitted perfectly in the Bay movies to me, where he looked older and more regal, but when I rewatch a G1 cartoon Prime definitely didn't sound that old back then.

It's not changing my opinion of the overall game whatsoever, but for WfC it seems his unaltered voice sounds a bit young for a bot that has yet to become the Prime..even if we're talking about robots with lifespans of millions years old :lol 

3. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Yeah I'm curious about the other voices too. I REALLY hope Cullen is voicing Ironhide.

Shame about Welker.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Like I said, I'd really want Welker to be some part of the voice cast for the same reason, but I understand that Megatron-Welker isn't likely anymore, and I accept it. I guess I just find it strange that Megatron is the place people have decided to gripe on, though maybe we'll hear more varied complaints as more VAs are announced officially. =P I figured people would be much more pissed off he wasn't doing Soundwave (I guess not though, possibly because Soundwave's voice is so modified anyway).

As for Soundwave's alt mode, it'd be nice if his alt mode was more G1-styled, but I think all the alt-modes in this game are going to need to be mobile, for balance, if not for ease of programming. I liked that they made him into some kind of boxy communications trawler, though. Even better if the sentry turrets he spawns (as I assume he'd be the scientist class, though I'm not sure, given some of the screenshots) were colored like his tapes.

Soundwave's voice was confirmed as Jeff Bennett, last I heard (it's on IMDB, at least), and though voices for the other characters I mentioned, Ironhide included, have not been officially announced, the scuttlebutt is that they will have different voices than their G1 incarnations.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    How? We've heard him talk twice, and neither times fit your description.

6. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

Welker is too old to do G1 Megatron's voice, Seriously, Lets just give Him a break.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think we hear Ironhide yelling in one of the gameplay trailers, and it doesn't sound like G1 AAHRNHAAHD.

8. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    hey guys take a look at this. if you hear Megatron in this bit, it sounds like Frank Welker's voice! i think it's him... he could still do it, provided his voice is digitally enhanced! did this come from a audio version of the comic book?

YouTube - Transformers the Beginning Part 1

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    ^ It is him.

I'm not really worried about Welker-Megatron - he had a great run, but he just can't do it anymore. But he still FTW's as Soundwave and others he's voiced. If he ever did come back to voice Megatron (probably TF3 game), it's cool. I won't mind, it's nice to see him in TF's.

10. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Don't trust it for even a second.

11. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still think this new voice could be voice by Frank Welker, albeit quite differently.

That last bit in particular sounds a lot like Dr. Claw to me.

FYI: this can be heard in the extended gameplay demo up at G4TV.com—the 10:30sec clip.

12. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

I think it comes down to the idea that Welker wasn't the only good Megatron voice. But Peter Cullen is legendary and irreplacable.

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i really think this true: Peter Cullen is the best prime, but Welker is NOT the best megatron

two people hold that title:
    David Kaye(Sp?) and Corey Burton

David Kaye has undoubtedly the best delievered scene in tranformers history:
    YouTube - Transformers Beast Wars: Megatron Enters the Ark HD

he should be the ONLY one to do a beast mode megatron, cause i don't feel the voice goes well with the vehicle mode megatrons from armada thru cybertron

but ole Corey Burton is the best vehicle megatron, the way he protrayed the character in animated was flawless

and finally:Welker's megatron has not aged well and anyone who thinks so is deaf

14. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Corey Burton's Megatron voice works best as a Megatron who has already proven to the universe that he is the ultimate badass. Just mention his name and Autobots run for the hills.

WFC Megatron isn't this Megatron. Not yet anyway. This Megatron has yet to prove himself as a leader, as a badass, as anything. So his voice is raw and "natural"

15. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    and i love how sophisticated it sounds, cool, calculated, and cunning, perfect for a leader

i mean when he got rebuilt, it was the voice that also added to the tension of the scene, it was a huge OH SHIT moment

16. billcosby

billcosby Just Another Geewunner

News Credits:
    I agree. Was playing ROTF Xbox last night... and really enjoying Megatron's classic G1 voice.

They seem to have gone through great extremes to convey a G1 theme for this game, why not go the extra mile?

Hopefully the voice they got is similar to Welkers. I appreciate if he is too old to do the voice... but the ROTF game wasn't made that long ago.

I think the Agent Smith voice from The Matrix doesn't cut it.

17. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    As I've said before, I don't mind if Welker doesn't voice Megatron. He still does it okay to me, but I won't self-destruct if Welker doesn't voice him.

I'm cool either way. Burton and Kaye have clearly shown how good of a Megatron they can be, and Welker is still acceptable to me - but Welker's not the best Megatron.

It's a treat to see people from G1 reprise their role. It really is. But it's not our choice to make.

I always welcome a new voice actor, James Remnar is doing fantastic from what I've heard - shove it up your snobby ass, Activision, it's Remnar.

18. Slag66

Slag66 CAMEO

I would have preferred Welker too. I hope he at least voices someone in the game. I think the craziest revealed so far is "Oswald" as Ironhide.