Only one nagging question I have: Why didn't they pick Welker to voice Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Cryptwire, May 11, 2010.

1. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Everything so far with WFC seems to be perfect.... BUT.... that question keeps nagging me to no end. and when I heard his voice in the Transformers video game tie-ins for the live-action movies, I didn't think there was any problem with his voice..... what gives?

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    This is the beginning of the war. Megatron is younger, and not worn down by the weight of so many battles.

3. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You have a point there. but it still would've been really nice to see him voicing Megatron again up against his old pal Peter Cullen.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like that idea, but you know, the more I listen to the extended developer walkthrough at G4tv.com, I think Welker is voicing Megatron, but in a different voice. Megatron's voice at the 00:30 marker sounds a lot like his Dr. Claw voice :eek: 

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Welker has trouble doing the Megatron voice these days, so it could be that they wanted to go in a different direction. It'd have been nice, true, but its not meant to be truly G1, so I don't mind if there's differences. Its not like Starscream or Jazz are going to have their G1 voices, after all.

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You do realize that their original voice actors have departed this world some time ago, right?:drunk  Frank Welker is still with us.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Yeah, but his voice hasn't aged well. Anyone who thinks otherwise should have their eyes checked for excessive rose coloring in their corneas.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This arguement doesn't need to start up again, as there is no end to it. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and if you do, well...you do.

What do eyes have to do with voice?

9. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Of course he does. Which is exactly why he pointed that out.

EDIT: Also, this very thread topic already exists.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    It's a reference to the idiomatic expression of "glasses with rose colored lenses". I see you're in japan. I'm guessing that the phrase might not exactly be commonplace where you live.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because they didn't want Megatron sounding like a chain-smoker on his deathbed. Prime on the other hand, sounds like a giant who eats explosions.

Wait, didn't we have a massive and horrible thread about this nonsense already?

12. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Yes we did. I provided the link to it in my previous post.

13. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they were alive, I bet they would have been asked to lend their voices, especially Mr. Latta, but whatever.

I’m aware of that idiom. Due to the visual references in the idiom, I’ve always understood it for seeing things for what they’re not, but I get your point.

I’m in Japan, but not from Japan.

As E. C. R. Former has said, this discussion ('80s Megatron voice) has gone on several times before, and does need to continue here.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Maybe in the final battle of the game Prime damages Megatron's vocal processors?..;) 

Probably not though. But I like the new voice. Didn't sound so hot in the first trailer, but after seeing the Megatron holograms in the ingame footage, I'm sold. It fits.

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I'd be much more happy if Welker was involved doing voicework for other characters, especially if you could end up choosing a voice for your custom character done by Welker.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I'm a little disappointed in the choice of Megatron's voice; I think he sounds over the top and mentally unbalanced. I've noticed a lot of hate out there for Welker, or at least criticism of his Megatron. I don't necessarily agree.

I always think back to Michael Bay's view of Welker's Megatron not fitting with the movie version. He's right, it doesn't. But neither would Hugo Weaving's without the billion watts of effects layered over his voice.

What I can't quite figure out is whether Welker's Megatron has changed due to age, or if he's just changed the way he does it a bit. It does sound more sickly/weaker, and if you go back and watch the G1 material his voice is a lot more commanding and powerful. My view of it is, if he can't do it with the bass he used to do it with in the 80's, add it in the effects filter. Problem solved, and you have a fitting G1 Megatron voice.

In the first movie game, Welker did Megatron's voice and the sound mixers responded to the above mentioned problem. They added some bass, and with a little bit of coaching and direction for Frank, it really could have worked and could work for WFC.

What Welker brings to Megatron is sophisticated and well thought out. He percieves Megatron as someone whose twistedness comes out in the timbre of his voice. As he puts it, "someone who's almost painful to listen to, but when he talks, you're going to listen."

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone's hating on Welker, he just has trouble, and thus, doesn't like to do the G1 Megatron voice anymore. He's said as much himself, and more power to him. It was a good voice, but I wouldn't even go as far as to call it one of his best. Hell, I preferred his voice for Galvatron. It's likely due to a mixture of the two causes you mentioned, age and time. He did the voice 25 years ago, after all, he can't really be expected to remember the exact nuances he approached it with. There's a limit to what can be done in post-production editing, and that's an additional cost to a voice that may simply be different from what the developers want for their character.

What people in the thread are hating on, if only because it's been said so many times before, is that you don't have to have every character with the same voice every time, forever. This is a franchise about reconfigurable space robots; change is good. This game isn't meant to be G1, its only loosely based on G1, and we've already seen enough G1 nods already. I don't understand why people are so up in arms over Welker not voicing Megatron (though don't get me wrong, it'll be a tragedy if he isn't offered an opportunity to do SOME voicework on the game), but noone makes any threads bemoaning why Bumblebee, Ironhide, Arcee, Sideswipe, Jetfire, or Soundwave don't have their G1 voice actors, most of whom are still as active, if not more active, than Welker is. I mean, we can all understand Jazz and Starscream needing new voice actors, but why is Megatron/Welker the sticking point?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  18. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm more concerned about Prime's voice.Since Cullen has gotten older, his Prime voice has aged as well. It's strange, since Prime should sound younger than he did in G1, rather than older!

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    They didn't choose Frank Welker to do Megatron's voice because they hate you.

Yes, you.

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I think change is good as long as that change is informed by what worked better than anything to come after it, that being G1. I agree with you to an extent, definitely. Changing things from what they were in G1 absolutely makes loads of sense in inumerable instances.

The simplest example would be giving Soundwave a vehicle mode that merely harkens to his original G1 look. Another good idea was using Barricade as an early Decepticon minion, elevating his status as a G1 microbot to equal footing with other 'Con cars. After all, he's a cool character. Another sensible move was to rewrite the origins of the Aerialbots and Stunticons to have them existing on Cybertron instead of them being "invented" or created on Earth. Those changes do not match up with G1, but they are improvements - the key is that the aesthetics and characters are informed by G1. A solid foundation is important for an intellectual property that has so much lore.

I think the reason people get stuck on Welker is simply the magnitude of the character he originally breathed a voice into. G1 Megatron is a memorable, much enjoyed character. Couple that with the fact that Peter Cullen is voicing Prime, and you create an appetite to hear the two of them go head to head just as they did in '84. There exists the concept that they go together, so people object when one is missing.

That said, I'd have loved to see Dan Gilvezan and Casey Kasem in the game.