Online transaction etiquette question.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mordecai6, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if this is a good place for this type of question..but I'll give it a go. Basically, I'm not sure what to do and would like some guidance. I had an undisclosed online friend pick up an NYCC TF: Prime set for me. That same weekend I paid this person 43 for the set & shipping. Almost a month later, I have not received my package. This person has not sent it because they said that since they picked up another set for another person, they are waiting until the other person has paid to send both packages to save on gas due to being a poor college student. My problem is that this person hasn't been transparent with me at all times. I'm sort of annoyed because I like/trust this person. But now, Im out my money and haven't gotten any of my toys. What's the next best step at this point? Should I just try to get my money back from Paypal, or did I just get screwed?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

How much gas does it really cost them to drive to the post office? I'm sorry to say, this sounds like BS mate and you may well have been screwed.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'd say your money back from paypal while you still can, and order the set from hasbrotoyshop.com. If you keep waiting, you have a very good chance of being screwed. It's not your fault that the other person hasn't paid.

There's two other options. You tell him that you're sick of waiting, and want a tracking number by friday, or you A: want a refund until he's ready to ship, B: getting a refund from paypal and buying it online.

Either way, if it isn't shipped this week, get your money back, because the deadline for opening a dispute is coming fast. He may be your friend but you HAVE to cover your own ass.

4. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Open a case before the 45 day limit. If he/she delivers there's no harm done. But if you let the limit pass you're screwed. You're only option at that point is a claim to your credit card company.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    a month without mailing and not being upfront about what's going on is beyond a reasonable amount of time and already broken the trust between you. I would demand your money back if he cannot ship within the next week and provide the tracking number.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unless he's 100 miles from a Post Office, that's a lame-ass excuse. If he can afford to go to NYCC, he can afford a buck in gas to mail your stuff.

7. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Sounds like he shouldn't have offered to pick up extras in the first place. If it's such a hassle, don't do it. He needs to get in touch with the other Guy and find out when he's getting his money. Set a firm due date if the other buyer can't come up with the money, put it on the junkion exchange. Currently he's out $40. It's not too much for him to be a little more demanding with the money. Could he lose the sale with this other guy? Certainly, but it's also possible he already has since this Guy is stringing him (and you) along.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Sounds more to me like someone else has made him a better offer on your figure and he's just waiting for them to pay him but keeping your cash in hand just in case that other offer falls through.

Yeah, I'm a suspicious bugger.

Get your money back asap.

9. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the question is...Why do you like/trust this person? I would contact them and request my money back and purchase the set from hasbrotoyshop. I they do not comply within 24 hours I would open a case with paypal.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    1- I would ask him for the money back and order from HTS while it is still in stock

2- If he refuses to payback, file a complaint with Paypal. Is this person a member here? If so, you probably should leave some feedback so users know who this is. I made the mistake of not doing that myself.

11. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Well the reason I like the person is because we've conversed quite a while on Twitter. Usually, the people I meet on there a pretty legit. But yea, I think I'll go ahead and ask for my money back if not just go through Paypal. I mean, this shouldn't have been such a big deal. And the dates keep getting pushed back. It's frustrating. I should've just gone through HTS.

12. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Whatever yo do open the case within the limit. Otherwise you're renouncing your right to a claim. You can open it ad close it when you get your toys or money and there's no harm for your friend.

13. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like everyone has said.....file that claim. At the very least, if he's not shipping it still, then you can escalate it to get your money back.

14. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I would say it sort of depends on how good a friend you consider this person and how much you want that relationship to stay.

The excuse is about the lamest I can imagine - don't most college campuses have post offices on campus?!

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    filing a claim is your best bet, a month an not shipping is the longest i'd be waiting,

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just file a complaint, get your money back, order from HTS, and respond to any message he sends trying to excuse his actions with, "LoL ok.".

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

While you have a right to be concerned, I would let the seller know of the situation first. Maybe giving them an ultimatum by mentioning that you intend on filing a claim will be enough to get their ass in gear. If that doesn't work, then file the claim. You always want to have a record of yourself trying to work things out with a problematic buyer/seller (eBay and Paypal will be even more likely to side with you if you have proof of correspondence). And if they're still being difficult, then you have further justification to file a claim.

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Don't listen to them about waiting it out. Open the case FIRST.

19. FigNewton

FigNewton Well-Known Member

It always stinks having to take a negative action against someone in an online deal where you feel you are getting shafted. Just today I had to start taking action on a trade I made through a vinylmation forum. It's only been two weeks for me but this person has not responded to communications at all.

I really didn't want to leave negative feedback (it's a fairly regimented feedback score system on that site) because I wonder if something isn't going on in their life to preclude a resolution. Maybe she's laid up in a hospital in a coma. It's hard for me to get worked up about a $13 toy when the other person might be dealing with something really serious in their life. Ultimately though, you have to look out for your own interests.

OP at least you have a route by which to reclaim your money. The guy just sounds like he's making excuses and blowing you off, ultimately taking advantage of you. Good luck with the PayPal resolution.

20. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Let's clear something up. Opening a case is a pretty standard thing on paypal. It only means that the deal has still not gone smoothly yet. Paypal encourages you to work things out with the seller and gives you some more time to do so. It's only at the end of THAT second deadline that paypal would interfere in any way. And leaving feedback is up to you.