Online store replacement policies...significant contributor to item prices?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by supervir2, Nov 12, 2011.

1. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I've had to return two items in my (pretty extensive) online transformer purchase history - my original MP-01 (due to a broken smokestack right out of the box) and my MP Skywarp (had two of the same face). The former was to BBTS and the latter to HLJ.

Anyway, as I read the feedback threads for a lot of new releases, it seems as though a LOT more people are exchanging/returning items (MP-09, MP-10 come readily to mind). Some of the reasons are more legitimate than others. That isn't necessarily the point of this post. Ultimately, it made me wonder just how much people exchanging and returning has affected the prices for these stores. If 20 people exchange items, that's 20 less full price units they have (where do the returned ones go?...I can't recall large volumes of opened new figs on the online stores). If they have 20 returned, that's 20 they have to sell again. Use more realistic numbers and the cost can be pretty significant on the retailer's part for something out of their control.

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Companies that have an exchange or return policy also have a return policy with the manufacturers. This may not always be the case but it will be for the majority of items.

I highly doubt the return policy effects the retailer much. Plus stores get to right off as much as 10% of all stock as damages come tax time.

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I would guess in a lot of cases they work with Takara/Hasbro on returning the item to them (or destroying it) like most regular retailers on stuff that is purchased directly from Takara/Hasbro. If this were not the case, with the number of the first batch of Rodimus that were returned, BBTS would have some used ones with issues for sale on their site by now. Most retailers have an RTV policy set up with their vendors. Not sure how it works for 3rd party products though.