Online gaming-how important is it to you as a gamer?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Human Beastbox, May 11, 2011.

?

How important is online gaming to you in general?

1. VERY

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. IMPORTANT

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. NOT VERY

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  5. DON'T CARE

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    With the PSN outage entering a month now, and the predictable outrage of PS3 users not being able to use it, it got me thinking about just how important online and multiplayer has become to gaming, obviously.

Now it personally took me a long time to get interested in playing anything online, I guess I'm old school like that--but still, how important is the online aspect to you personally when considering buying a game? For me, I just as soon have a really good single player campaign, with perhaps some co-op elements, but multiplayer isn't always in my mind. Sometimes I just don't care.

Now with fighting games, of which I'm a big fan of, online play with a human being always beats out CPU games, but with other games like shooters third-person or FPS, I don't always give a damn.

I will say that my decision to play online in any game also has some criteria: It really depends on how many elitists and jerks usually inhabit the online experience of the game in question.

I DO know that all online games have plenty of those asshats, but if a game is chock-full of them, I steer clear of it. Or at least I put the mute button on, if I'm tired of some kid with a mic telling me how much I suck or how I'm the gayest gay person in the history of gay people. :D 

So, your thoughts? How important is online to you when you play a game??

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Online gaming to me is almost non-existent I will give games a try online maybe get a couple of easy trophies. I'm all about the single player experience specially with how I have to play I rarely get hours to sit down and play. I'll play a few minutes and pause to walk the dog, fix dinner, do the dishes, etc... I would not be able to play online like that. I would be always be voted from a room or killed 100's of times. However I am online with my PS3 a ton whether it be in the PSN store downloading a game or add-ons. My wife and I use the VUDU on the PS3 to watch new movies or chat with our friends over in Italy. I am a PS+ member so the free store games I get every month me and the wife give them a try she was addicted to Critter Crunch there for a while. So while online gaming means very little to me the online part of the console has defiantly changed how I game.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mostly enjoy single player or co-op splitscreen games. I know I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I grew up with brothers and closebye friends, so I associate enjoying a game kind of on my own terms or with someone next to me. When I play online, which is rare, there's some element of relaxation and enjoyment taken away from the experience for me.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not important at all. Red Dead is the best time I've had online, and a bit with Halo Reach too, but I would have rather had those people sitting next to me. Otherwise, make mine Mass Effect and L.A. Noire with a strong storyline and a long gameplay experience. This outage thing sucks balls, but it hasn't affected my gaming habits in the least... I just can't stalk Mcbradders and Smang anymore.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I have no interest in it. My preference seems to be mostly linear games that you play straight through. It wouldn't bother me, but I kinda resent how they'll make certain characters online exclusive.

Anyway, I'm really not much of a gamer, so maybe I shouldn't comment on such things.

6. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I basically only play online. I like playing against a real person rather than AI.

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Amazed at how many people say it's not important so far.

It helps me keep in touch with friends and play games with them without being in the same room and helps me meet other players I could get along with.

So yes, it's very important.

8. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I think its good to have, but I don't normally play it. I really prefer to play split screen with my friends in the same room. Sadly the split screen is being taken out of most games

9. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Very important to me, best way to catch up with my mates and basically have a laugh without getting bored.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, no. I agree that's it's good for keeping up with friends, but I just don't game online very much. I think being online in general is extremely important, but the gaming aspect depends on the individual's taste. I'm simply not into gunning friends down as much as I am into co-op gaming, and there isn't much of that going on.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Eh, I'd say it's somewhat important to me. Always enjoy playing cooperative modes online. Competitive though, not so much. Plus all the other stuff online brings is pretty cool.

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, that really bothers me sometimes with all the slander, cursing, racism and childish behaviors that these competitive games bring out in gamers. I have to mute my TV anymore if I'm going to play online.

13. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Not very, I rarely if ever play online. I prefer story modes.

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think being online is important. I see what my friends are playing and we message eachother. Of course I like the ability to download games, demos and expansions. So it's important being online but it's far from my preferred way to play.

15. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Don't game online at all, really. Kinda sucks to be a PC gamer these days if you aren't into MMOs or FPSssesses.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Marry me.

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Not very.

I like the occasional co-op game or shooter but 80-90% of the time i could live without the punk kids,cheaters and campers.

I prefer just a few people doing a hard story mode or team based modes.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've had my 360 for 4 - 5 years now and I think I've played it online for about 30 minutes total.

Not important.

19. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Same here. I didn't have much success with building my friends list until I played Left 4 Dead. My friends list today is mostly people I met through playing that game, and people I met through those friends, and so on and so on. I have a few close XBL friends now, and I can also play with some of my wife's family that also use XBL. I've had some great times playing multiplayer with tight groups of online friends, and people from this site.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I’m kind of amazed at how many people are saying it’s not important.
    To me, that’s like saying “Color televisions: is it really important to have color in your TV?

I’m not saying that every game has to have online.
    I certainly don’t want Bioware to shoehorn it into Mass Effect 3 or anything like that.

But I love playing games online.
    I play against players in Super Street Fighter IV online almost every day.

I love playing games with my friends –some of whom I probably wouldn’t even have if it wasn’t for online games.
    I have never played a level of Reach, Gears of War 1 or 2, Resident Evil 5, or War for Cybertron without one or more of my friends with me.

And some games, like Halo, are an online rave.
    I can’t imagine going back, and it’s the lack of an online component that has relegated our Wii to a dust collector.

My whole family and many of my personal friends are on Xbox Live.
    I love it.