Ongoing comics questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Rexidus, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So I picked up digital copies of More Than Meets The Eye 1 & 2, and Robots In Disguise 1 since reviews raved about them. My opinions isn't as strong but that isn't the point of this thread.

Since I haven't really read the comics I have a few questions about the state of affairs in continuity that I'm hoping someone would be willing to answer.

First off, who is currently Prime? I know Optimus is dead and Bee and Rodimus seem equally in charge but neither seems to be Prime. If there isn't a Prime, why isn't there one?

Maybe I need to reread MTMTE 1 but it never flat out says the ship was sabotaged. While it seems very plausible that it was, did I simply miss that point?

What is up with that Ex-Wrecker? Can someone give me the run down?

The only other comic I've read recently was Last Stand of the Wreckers. Is this the same continuity?

Was there any more information revealed about the Knights of Cybertron to lead someone to assume they had the power to restore Cybertron? Because honestly what was presented was little more than a pipe dream.

Could someone sum up what's the deal with Cybertron at the moment? I don't quite grasp how much things are different from the Cybertron from say any other media I've seen it in.

The 1984 bots... Huh?

I guess those are my biggest questions right now. I do love that they have cybertronian modes from War for Cybertron. I love those designs.

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    In reverse order (spoilers ahead):

1984 bots are a mystery
    I think Prime exhausted the Matrix into the planet, reviving it to a primordial state
    The knights built Cybertron from a primordial state in the first place, are trying to fix it now.
    Yes. (i think)
    We don't know, all we do know is that he's a Nut-Job (i think)
    I dont think its been said specifically, but i think they did, dont remember exactly

aaaaaand Optimus isn't dead! The Death of Optimus Prime was a more dramatic way to say "The Retirement of Optimus Prime" Nails basically were going crazy, and Prime exiled himself to quash some of the conflict.

3. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    1. There is no Prime. Technically both BB and Rodimus are Primes since they each have half of the Matrix but neither has all of it.

2. 2 says the ship got goofed up because somebody was standing in the wrong spot. I think that was meant to say the ship was not sabotaged although the spark eater could count as a form of sabotage.

3. Ex-Wrecker...Whirl? He's insane and the reason Megatron decided to become a crazy overlord.

4. This is indeed in continuity with that story.

5. The Matrix was revealed to be a map. Drift says that Dai Atlas's name means God Map in old Cybertronian and he always said the Matrix was the key to finding the Knights. They seem to be these mythical figures that crafted early Cybertronian civilization so Drift and Rodimus think they can find them with the Matrix and get their help to fix the planet.

6. Cybertron was being torn apart because something called the D-void was merging with Vector Sigma and destroying it. Optimus tried to fix Sigma and save the planet by plunging the Matrix inside. When he did this the Matrix broke in two and the planet was, for lack of a better term, rebooted to it's early stages of life.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the answers guys.

Here's another one though. What of the human allies? I'm not upset at the lack of humans just a little surprised. In 3 issues of the new ongoing series I didn't see any humans.

5. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

The Autobots had a few human child allies in the first run of the series. Those ties were largely severed going into All Hail Megatron. By the end of that series and the beginning of the ongoing, the military despised all alien robots. Through the ongoing, the Autobots win their favor (namely Spike Witwicky and military co.), but still have trouble with some groups of humans who don't want the bots on the planet. Witwicky takes some actions to make the Autobots distrust him, but the ongoing ends with the Auobots all going into outer space. By the beginning of the two new series, humans are on earth and don't really interact with the bots.

Hah, sorry that's the best I can do at 5 am without giving away too many spoilers =)

6. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're buying the comics digitally you really should also buy "The Death of Optimus Prime." It's by the same creative team as the two ongoings, happens right before them and sets up all their stories. It should answer a number of your questions first hand.

Well this one is answered already, but yeah, Prime isn't dead. Read the Death of Optimus Prime like I said above for all the details.

Well it's meant to be implied at the end, the moment with Prowl and BB watching it blow that Prowl maybe had something to do with it. And IDW Prowl has been established as the sort of person who might very well do that.

Ships don't expload on their own. Something happened. Until we know exactly what (and no we don't in 2, despite Brainstorm's impatience) it's pretty darn suspicious.

Whirl is nuts. Violent and disturbed. If you read his original toy bio in G1 he was always fairly crazy, but Roberts has definately gone a lot darker with it than ever before.

He features strongly in "Chaos Theory" a two issue story from a few months back by the same creative team as MtMtE that gives us the IDW origin of Megatron and Optimus Prime. It was a great 2parter and let's just say Whirl (back when he was a crooked cop) plays a big, unwitting part in creating both Prime and Megs.

Again, read The Death of Optimus Prime, it's all set up there. They have a magic map they found inside the empty Matrix, so there's "something" out there they know for sure.

It was dead and abandoned as toxic for a long time. Its environment finaly healed, but before the TFs could move back in Galvatron (an ancient TF) and his evil army in the thrall of an evil otherdimensional force invaded. Rodimus, Optimus, and Cyclonus saved the day by using the Matrix and Vector Sigma. Using VS recreated Cybertron, rebirthing it as a primordial and hostile world. More details in... you guessed it The Death of Optimus Prime (detecting a theme?)

On humans:

Of the Three Kid Sidekicks from the begining of IDW's continuity:
    1 is mia on Earth
    1 became a headmaster and was then killed
    1 is Verity from LSotW last seen on Earth

And the only other major human was Spike who was an unlikable, traitorus @$$ and is better left behind.

-ZacWilliam, both books should likely have started with a "Go read The Death of Optimus Prime" blurb on the top of the first page.