One Year Since ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chopperface, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Alright, let's batten down the hatches. Surely a storm is gonna descend on this thread.

One year ago the first sequel to a Transformers movie was released, to aggressively negative critics and - as usual - mixed fan reception.

This movie made over 800 million dollars, and had nearly absolutely no acclaim from critics. General audience members obviously enjoyed the film, based on the huge box office totals.

Do you have any reflections on this one-year anniversary? How has the film aged with you?

To put it simple with me, I still consider the film enjoyable, but it still is a piece of crap at times, yet it was the "defining movie" of 2009 besides Up with me.

Now let's keep this thread calm, polite, and respectful of other posters. I know that the movie forum has a tendency for some threads to crash and burn. See the recent Megan Fox thread, still on the forum's first page.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, alot of the criticism is really undeserved however and I'd say the movie is certainly rather underrated in the grand scheme. I mean the fact that people put it up as one of the worst movies of the year, hell of all time is just a complete joke, it wasn't a great movie by any means, but for fuck's sake it really wasn't THAT bad.

3. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    I generally watch movies just to have a nice two hours. RotF doesn't necessarily deliver for the whole two hours, but it when it delivers, it delivers BIG time. It made me fall in love with Sideswipe, also.

It's also one year since the last time I saw one of my best friends. He moved shortly afterward.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i enjoyed the movie, it was fun, it has its problems, but it isn't as bad as people say it is (if you go by what people say, the movie is 2 hours of devastator teabagging you in the face)

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I went to see ROTF hoping for robots kicking robot asses, and I got what I went for. The crappy story isn't the best, but it could have been worse.

Also, the whole "racist" crap over the twins is really overblown in my opinion. Skids and Mudflap were tolerable, to say in the least, and had some funny moments, but considering that the only other "black" Autobot; Jazz, was the only Autobot killed in the first movie, herp and derp simply talking like "gangstas" isn't that racist to me.

6. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I have trouble watching it completely without skipping. I skip all the stupid humor and just watch the nice robot scenes.
    They let me down with Devastator, the Fallen, sideswipe, constructicon and autobots, I was expecting a lot more.

Second let down for me was the DISC 2 special feature, for standard DVD, displaying no CGI robot renders...that was the whole reason I bought the DVD.

7. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Today's the day, one year ago, that I rescued my cat. :D 

Oh, and there was this movie, "Revenge of the Fallen" I think it was called. I liked it, but the first one was better. ;) 

8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i love ROTF, it was the filsm i wanted to see the most on 2009, and its still teh best 2009 film for me,

Acutalyl i had no problems it it, no problems with tiwns, no problems with the lack fo screentiem of soem characters, or lack of develoment, no problems at all with the film. its an enjoyable Film to see

9. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

I liked ROTF, the robots were excellent (sure, some of them could have had more screen time but hey...whatever). The Twins didn't bother me really. The Fallen wasn't as badass as i had expected but Megatron was excellent. The Fallen is really more like the emperor in Star Wars...what you really want is for Vader to kick ass. Megatron did lol. I see this as a stepping stone for the third film, which i am really stoked for. It was a middle to a trilogy, so i forgive some of the oversights and i have a great feeling that TF3 will be the film we have all been waiting for :) 

10. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Really, the main problem with Revenge of the Fallen was that it lacked what is probably the most important of all elements, the one that can save even the most problem-ridden of movies: heart.

The movie had no soul, no spark of life, nothing like the Autobots Descend scene or final monolouge from the first movie. It felt rushed, unimpassioned, manufactured. There were shining moments, but truthfully, the big issue was that there was no real--lord forgive me for this pun--spark to speak of. It just didn't have a strong core, and as such, it fell flat as a whole.

I think the best way to sum up ROTF is with a quote from the animated film 9: "We had such potential, such promise. But we squandered it."

11. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I loved it then and I love it now. I saw it more times in the theater than I've seen any other movie. It provides great escapism for me.

I think a lot of the criticisms are well warranted and some are not, but I don't care what other people's opinions about it are, honestly. It earned enough money to get another one made and that's all I care about in terms of its reception by anyone other than me.

This sums up how I feel about it in general - I tell people "you can write me a nice long essay detailing every single thing you find horrible about this movie, and all I have to say is 'forest battle' and your argument is null and void."

12. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the film very much when it first came out, and I still enjoy it now. It's not the best movie by any means--but it's something fun to watch from time-to-time. I do definately have to be in the mood to watch it, though--but I think that has more to do with the length of the film, than anything else.

13. Prime82

Prime82 Optimus knows all

We gotta let it go and move on...its hard but it must be done

14. Emperor Jeremy

Emperor Jeremy Active Member

I think it's a fun movie. It's just not as good as when I saw it in theaters.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it for what it was - a completely absurd, utterly non-serious summer movie with giant robots in it. The twins didn't bother me at all; they were an excellent parody in my opinion.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

My second viewing at home was surprisingly enjoyable, but its in no way improved over time. Nor has it worsened. It remains strictly "meh".

Smokey and the Bandit has improved, FYI.

17. KingStarscream9

KingStarscream9 Destroy

It was normal movie from my perspective, it could be much,much better.Probably the reason why it turned out so crappy was lack of time for micheal bay.In special DVD comentary he stated few times that he was so scared that he is not going to make it till premiere.Also he mentioned that this movie is much bigger than the first one and also couple times harder.Also I dont understand why do they filmed so many locations,I mean all that Jordania,Egypt,Paris,NewYork and other unnecasary places.I mean why thay had to film in new york couple of scenes? that definatly mess everything up for viewer...For example after forest battle scene starscream and megatron talk on the buiding which supposed to be in NewYork,but actually was shoot in LA,so after that I didnt knew where the action was taking place,becouse its was so confusing.And all those scenes in egypt..I didnt even remember them.and the scenes with wheelie...I sleept those scenes,or went to WC.And as alot of people mention all the time that CGI was so wasted,especialy with constructicons,wich we dont see too much,even the new autobot characters flashed only for few seconds,when ILM put few months working on one of them.So I went from the theatre a little bit disapointed.I know it was a complaining message,but that probably sums my opinion of last year transformers movie.

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One year... and MICHAEL BAY IS STILL THE BEST DIRECTOR EVER WOOHOOO!!!

[baysloposion smiley overload]

Now seriously, that movie is still fun and I still love it and what the people involved did, but you won't see me, or anybody for that matter, writing a paper about it for college, because it really isn't a good mov-.... wait, I think now I want to try that.

19. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it. It was typical Transformers. Like a TV episode I just switched off and enjoyed it for what it was. A toy commercial.

Later viewings I fouind it to be less enjoyable.

20. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

When ROTF came out, I went to see it twice at two different cinema's and I enjoyed it both times.

True, the script wasn't marvelous but that was due to the writers strike, but Michael Bay put a lot of effort into it to work around the strike. The scenery of the different countries like Egypt, Jordan etc were top notch, and the military did their best to pull it off, and the actors also did their best.

All the people who were involved with the ROTF did a good job, sometimes, the heat was unbearable at times, but they all managed to pull it off.:2c: