One thing that ticks me off about Alice (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tehCal, Jun 2, 2009.

1. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

Ok, this is assuming you've read the novel or comic adaptations, and know that Alice is a
    Pretender
    . If you don't wanna be spoiled, look away, as I'm not using spoiler tags any more in this post.

The thing that annoys me in the novel is that, while there is SOME foreshadowing that Alice is a Pretender (aside from her over-the-top "only has eyes for Sam" behaviour), her dialogue is written to make her seem almost TOO human.

What I mean is, she seems really sympathetic to Sam and knowledgeable about relationships etc, and while I understand her whole mission is to be an infiltration unit, we know from our experience with the bots that they tend to not understand a lot of basic human behaviour such as tact and humility (Ironhide wanting to shoot Mojo, Ratchet talking about how Sam clearly wants to bang Mikaela). You'd expect Decepticons to understand or abide by human emotional rules even less so.

Basically, while some of her dialogue does a good job of suggesting that she is a machine playing a role ("I have a boyfriend back in Orlando, too. He's a prince."), her sympathy for Sam's issues and her seduction techniques seem too... well... real. I'd rather have her quirkily slipping up and making Leo paranoid, with Sam oblivious of her odd behaviour.

When I read that Bumblebee knocks her seat forwards, and sprays her with coolant, and so on, I thought he had picked up on her bad behaviour and was trying to warn Sam. But it's evident in the novel that he's just trying to get rid of her so he can take Sam to see Optimus. Bumblebee never catches on to Alice being a Con, which I think is a shame.

Does anybody else agree with this based on what they've read in the adaptation? Or does anybody even see what I mean?

2. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

I'll wait until I see the movie to make a final decision, but you could always just chalk it up to the fact that the Cons have had a couple years now to study human behavior and improve the chances of infiltratation success.

3. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

Yeah, true.

Funny that there'd be that slipup line about Orlando/prince (referring to the origin of her alt mode as an animatronic robot at Disneyland) but she'd be perfectly normal otherwise... but I guess it's no big deal.

I guess that line could be some sort of twisted joke on the behalf of Alice :p 

4. jle1076

jle1076 Well-Known Member

because thats her SOLE objective. The autobots learned the languages for communication purposes and to do many other things. Alices duty is to play that role of human behavior

5. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

The only thing I don't like is the thing everyone else has pointed out- that its basically a rip off terminator. But seeing as Terminator: Salvation stole a transformer you can't really moan too much.

6. Vertea

Vertea Active Member

Well, TF1 suggested that the Autobots learned earth's languages from the net, right? Well, given that the internet is a GREAT place fo aliens to learn(what with all of the speech types, Youtube for study, etc..), I think the decepticons would get all kinds of knowledge that way. Lord knows, there's plenty of examples of human speech and seduction and the like all over, not to mention conversations on Yahoo and with webcam to give reference for how to act human and the like. Honestly, any Decepticon or Autobot illing to look hard could make a VERY convincing human being.

7. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    I think her being so human is a good thing. It makes the revelation of her Pretender status all the more pleasing.