One thing I really don't get. Realism vs. what we got...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TankRizzo, Jun 23, 2009.

1. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

Two things, straight from Bay's mouth about realism:

michaelbay.com | news

The visualizations looked real, yes, but come on, they've been doing this since Jurasic Park. Making the characters "real", was the real challenge here and at every turn Bay does something to undermine this, and the biggest culprit is his horrible comedic timing.

He has no clue when to go for that cheap laugh or when to just let it be. Funny he mentions the Skorpinok scene, that's one of the biggest reality breakers in the whole movie. The help desk credit card guy on the phone was a cheap, throw away joke and did nothing but detract from the otherwise great action going on. It simply takes you out of the scene, out of the realism, and reminds you that you're watching a movie rather than being immersed in it.

Then you have characters like Turturro, Jazz, the Twins, Jetfire, etc. who are nothing more than walking, talking cliches. Chances are you don't know anyone in real life who acts like any of them. They're over the top and undercut any relate-ability you might have with the movie for cheap laughs.

That's not to say the movie should be 100% serious, but there's a time and place to putting humor in a movie....it's an art, and it's completely lost on Bay. In the first movie, the buying the car scene with Bernie Mac...that was fine. It was it's own thing, self contained and wasn't out of place. You don't need one liners in EVERY scene.

2. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

In short. I was bolstered by Bay's "I wanna do this 'for real'..." and all the other spout about it being serious and full of mythology, and sadly, thats probably why I was let down.
    If not for the horrid comedy and tight camera shots, I may have gotten a lot more enjoyment out of it.
    I know, people (here especially) are sick of hearing about Bay being a bad choice. What can I say, I don't like his style in 'Transformers' (loved 'The Rock'). Maybe ROTF will be an improvement, we shall see.

3. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

*sigh* If Bay had wanted true realisam...as in the real world we all really live in...then there wouldn't even be a Transformers movie ;) 

4. Nervol

Nervol Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay included that in the scene because he was told a story about a similar thing actually happening in real life

5. Eastsider4eva

Eastsider4eva Well-Known Member

i dont think michael bay is too bright to be honest.........some jerk with a huge ego

6. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Busted!

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

Realism can be subjective; for Bay I think it's more a visual thing than how it feels.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The famous tagline for the 1978 superman movie was "You will believe a man can fly".

Well, special effects have come quite a way since then. Bay and his crew are quite capable of making it look realistic and amazing. But it's another thing entirely whether we'll be able to suspend disbelief and actually find it believable

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    realistic CGI Has nothing to do with bays story telling style or his sense of humor