One step changer or flip n change

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by fake, May 17, 2014.

1. fake

fake Return to Innocence

So I had decided to forgo the AOE movie toys but my 4 year old seems to be interested in the simple transforming transformers. Should I get the one step changers since there seems to be more characters coming or get the flip n change which is more expensive but looks a lot more detailed.

2. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Flip and change Grimlock looks like he has some merit - if you can manage to not knock yourself out while transforming him.

if you want something simple to start with try the small Drift - that at least has a nice car mode.

3. fake

fake Return to Innocence

I decided to get the one step optimus and drift. Dont think he likes non vehicle transformers yet!!!

4. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

I just got one step Optimus and Strafe, they look ok but feel relay cheap and the gears tend to stick and strip sometimes. Strafes feet were very tight and almost felt glued and even chipped a little when i moved them. Prime doesn't always flip completely ether. The quality of these guys are relay going down hill fast but i will still get more lol.

5. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    During my TF Movie figure outing last night I did happen to get One Step Strafe (or as I call him by his original name Swoop) and truth-be-told Swoop isn't perfect by any means,but as for the plastic quality on most of him ain't that bad,he feels pretty solid to me,BUT admittedly the outer half of the wings do tend to be less sturdy than the rest of him,again I am not sure he wasn't designed that way for child safety reasons.

But overall I admit I think this is one cool little figure even with small size and simplified transformation,if you get him he is pretty decent until the deluxe version comes out.

6. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

were his feet tight?

7. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I saw both lines at Wal-Mart. For younger fans that love dinosaurs, that Flip n Change Grimlock would be a great buy. His dino mode looks good and won't break the bank.

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Why do you guys say flip and change? One step sounds better.

9. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Those are two separate sub-lines. The OP is asking which is better for his kid

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Dunno about the bigger Flip 'n Change but my two year old can do One Step Drift and is quite pleased with it when she does.

11. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was tempted to start a new thread but this one works just as well.

I picked up 1-Step Drift mostly out of curiosity and the lack of any Wave 2 Gen Deluxes in stores to sate myself on.

I kinda LOVE him.

He's not perfect. The head sculpt is slightly doofy (movie Drift has a hard face to get perfect) and I wish the chest plate hung just a bit lower in bot form... but that said he is SUPER SUPER FUN and easy to transform back and forth and very solid and durable feeling. Let me repeat he is SUPER SUPER fun to transform back and forth. My 6 year old LOVES that he can TF him with zero effort and we've both just sat here flipping him back and forth and back and forth. Most fun butterfly knife ever.

He doesn't feel like a cheeply made piece of junk like several of the Activators I remember checking out during Animated. You know what he REALLY feels like? A G1 TOY. Seriously, we got the Jumpstarters in 85. We got the Battlechargers in 86. If we got two versions of Drift here in 1987 it would have fit as a perfect evolution of that type of quick change toy. He's got that solidity, durability, and simplicity to him that would fit right in on a G1 shelf. Heck with the ball-joint shoulders he would be towards the top of G1 poseability.

For all intents and purposes he's a G1 toy, and a good one, somehow produced in the present and that's really what I love.

-ZacWilliam, the only thing that would have made him better is if he were an original character with a quick change gimmick rather than a variant on a "regular" bot that has other toys. Why? Because you know what Drift looks like so the G1-y "primitive" body automatically reads as a "lesser" version, where as if this same exact toy had an original head and the name Blade Wheel. It would be an absolutely perfect toy all it's own. Does that make sense to anyone outside my head?
    Edited by ZacWilliam1, 24 minutes ago.

12. Katarn84

Katarn84 Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both gimmicks came out this week in Italy...
    One-step Grimlock and Drift 27 $
    Power Attack Strafe, Crosshairs, Hound and Bumblebee at 34 $
    Flip and change Grimlock at 54 $

With these prices I'd say give no one of these... with BBTS prices (more or less half of what I find here) I'd say One-step to try his tastes, then maybe go to the bigger ones.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Discussing One Step Drift with fellow TF enthusiasts we came to the conclusion he was no worse than G1 Battlechargers.

14. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Flip and change looks waaaaay more fun.

I tried giving my daughter Beast Hunters and didn't like those. Yeah, mine's the same way.

Trukk not munky 4ever!

15. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I picked up a One-Step Prime for my 3 year old godson Isaiah last week. 10 minutes after opening the package he was asking how to hide the arms in truck mode . . . :lol 

16. Katarn84

Katarn84 Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol, and there it goes little kids will enjoy simple transformations...