2D Artwork: One Shot: Road Rocket's Long Night.

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Spark, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Spark

Spark General Electric

This was something I've had sitting on the backburner for a while and finally decided to finish off. It could conceivably be expanded into quite a few pages as Road Rocket continues to sift through Akihabara and find weird stuff that I've either been told about by a couple friends who've been there or read about via books and manga.

Graphite with color overlays in Photoshop. I've decided Road Rocket probably sounds like Steven Jay Blum.

[​IMG]

I'm a little disappointed in this one visually, since it's not nearly as interesting as the Cannonball one in terms of style and layout. Color work's a little bit better, however, although text layout needs work. I really only actually like panels 1, 4, and 8. I crowded the hell out of panel 2 because it came out pretty badly.

The dude's cleaning a bowl. Color-sampled their skin tones off an Akiba shop girl's bare midriff for, uh, accuracy's sake. Yeah.

Cheers.

2. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

you may have something here, a few more pages, and you could have a comic tread.

3. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

i really like the style....the colored pencils add a really nice texture. hmmmm that could make for a really cool trend in comics

4. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Yar, I think I'll give you some indepth crits, at most Boltax on Allspark would have given you similar stuff to work with. I'll go panel by panel, see which critiques you can do something with. :) 

Hmmm for a one pager, I don't know about the plot. In fact, what is the plot, you do a built up for having to report to a base and then what? Nothing. You don't do anything with it. :/ For that plot to develop it would need more pages, so I don't think it works for a single page. It doesn't add to the story.

He might as well just have been walking by afterall.

I think the first shot - though nicely drawn (probably the nicest of all), would have been better if you could have seen the entire motorcycle, OR with a built up on how the motorcycle looks in details. You know, seperate shots of the headlight, tire, nice/badass paintjob and details that define some character, something more playful. Perhaps followed in the "I'm confused and lost shot" with a transformation from motorcycle to robotmode and a similar stance as you used.

The fifth panel could have used more work in general, it lacks a background and it would have been better to show a further zoomed out shot, perhaps even with silhouette's only. He seems rather small (sure he wouldn't be the biggest robot ever, but still quite a bit bigger than a normal human, this is only moderately bigger). As well as the pose as you made him very bulky above the waist but that seems exagerated by the positioning of the legs, which seem extra thin, not to mention stiff. If you wanted him at this angle and distance, I think you could have done more with the pose and angle there, perhaps even have him crouch.

About the texts, some 'sound' effects in the first panel wouldn't be out of place. Followed by the contrast of the next panel, which would be utter silence, adding to the sense of "being lost". Now it's all silence and thus there's less contrast than there could have been.

The sixth panel works okay, but the foreshortening would have looked a bit better and she would have looked up even higher had you shown more of the little girl's body disappear. Becaue then, you could certainly have gone with a grey, assphalt/street background without worrying that it's out of perspective, which I think you feared there making you go with blue. Perhaps some heavier shadows would have made you able to focus more on the eyes as well.

The seventh panel seems to have little to do with the texts, I had expected to at least see the buzzsaw, but all you have is a bright red background attracting the majority of the attention. Again, you could have done this better by showing more or at least that which you seemed to want to show there, but then neglected to show.

The text placing in the last panel is a little unclear, but with the layout of the image there, it's hard to do that much better. Which works well btw.

Good luck with future one pagers, I liked several of your previous ones and this one I would have liked a lot more if you had done more with it. I understand what your intention was with this and with some work it would work excellently, but the execution is a bit sloppy for a single page.

5. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Nice work! Road Rocket is a favorite of mine who doesn't get nearly his due. My only crit is I prefer his G2 colors to his RID look. Just a personal preference.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    love the look.

got a link to the cannonball one?

7. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

I think it's his Robot Masters look. ;) 

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

You know,,, if you had just said "Spike Spiegle from Cowboy Beebop" you would have saved me a trip to IMDB.com ;)  (But then I wouldn't have put together all the OTHER stuff he did "Oh yeeeeah,,, the 3rd guy from the left DOES sound like Spike!")

Once I got that down I totally got the character.

"Robotman needs a hug" :lolol 

And looking at his bio on TFU.info "he devotes himself to ninja training in the mountain recesses of Japan" it's a nice intro to a story about him going up into the mountains and training with a ninja master (think Ken Wantanabe in Last Samurai)

9. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    KICK ASS DUDE! I really love the style keep up the good work :) 

10. Spark

Spark General Electric

Huh. I searched all over my old posts and it seems I never posted it here.

Here you go.

Boltax seems to be strangely absent of late, so this should be helpful since I'm far more inclined to do pin-up style stuff. Learning experiences = good.

The message is a throwaway just to give him a reason to be running around Akihabara, really. It's a small story, and the base really isn't so much the focus as I see it (assuming I expand on this).

It would be harder to explain why Road Rocket would be hanging around (presumably) a restaurant without the mild setup, I think. The setting's not really clear, I realize.

Oh yeah, totally agreed. General lack of planning in terms of use of page space.

The silhouettes are an excellent idea. I've certainly used them in the past (see Cannonball), but it hadn't occurred to me to use them here.

Gauging Road Rocket's size is another matter... Here's my thought process: He seems to be a stylized Kawasaki Ninja ZX, which is about 6.5 feet from rear tire to front tire. Add into that about a foot for his freakishly short thighs when they extend out of the legs. In robot mode, his head ends up more-or-less parallel to the handlebars on his back, so it's probably around 6 feet from his feet to the top of his head. He'd be pretty imposing thanks to the looming front bike section over his head, but he's not too much bigger than the average tall person.

Definitely drew the curve of the motorcycle section on his back too far outwards, hence being overly bulky, and the legs were about a fourth thinner than they should be.

In terms of the pose, I like it. He doesn't care enough about this little girl to squat down. Silhouette would've made this work better, certainly.

Sound effect use something I don't actually think about probably because I just naturally imagine the sounds when I'm sketching stuff and it never occurs to me to write them down. I'll take that to note for later.

Mostly my laziness on that one. Should've drawn in the tile shown on the final panel.

That's my lack of planning again... I did have the buzzsaw drawn in, but then I realized that that's not the arm he carries it on. Took it out, but was too lazy to redraw it. Heh.

I may come around and redo in a more standard lineart form later, or switch to that if I do future installments. Thanks for the enlightening run down.

I've decided this is set post-training, for the record.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice strip.