Customs: One of the sickest custom Alternators collections

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Blue Meanie, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I reported this to a mod some time ago. If I thought what I said was "******ed", I wouldn't have posted it. Also, I think your use of that word gives a little more insight to things. My wife teaches special education and that word in certain contexts is pretty derogatory. I'm sorry man, all you've done was add salt in a wound. Anyways, I feel my case has been stated and been done so in a respectful manner towards you. I'm sorry you feel offended. If you have any other comments to make towards me, I'd suggest PMs or another private means. ;) 

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I knew I should have "right clicked - saved" that pic of Soundwave....:mad 

I WILL be using the door mod on a Skids I have sitting around....it just wont be Soundwave/blaster when I make mine....

And as a basher, I do agree with Superquad on what he said, but on the other hand Blue Meanie did say that he wasn't aware of any infringements...

Now,.... gimme that pic.....:D 

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I knew I should have "right clicked - saved" that pic of Soundwave....:mad 

I WILL be using the door mod on a Skids I have sitting around....it just wont be Soundwave/blaster when I make mine....

And as a basher, I do agree with Superquad on what he said, but on the other hand Blue Meanie did say that he wasn't aware of any infringements...

Now,.... gimme that pic.....:D 

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Quad, not everyone is going to cite their sources. People like what they see and try to emulate it, whether it's based on fan work or original sources. It's up to the receiver (i.e., anyone who views the work) to decide whether or not an image (a kitbash, a work of art, etc.) should be judged. Additionally, it's entirely possible that some people just came up with the same idea. "Great minds think alike" != plagarism. How many Cybertron Magnus kitbashes have shown up on the boards in the past few weeks? Even if the onus or design or the paint or WHATEVER is similar to the first person that did the bash, it doesn't mean EVERYONE is going to cite that person as their source.

...but judge as you feel judgment is deserving.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Quad, not everyone is going to cite their sources. People like what they see and try to emulate it, whether it's based on fan work or original sources. It's up to the receiver (i.e., anyone who views the work) to decide whether or not an image (a kitbash, a work of art, etc.) should be judged. Additionally, it's entirely possible that some people just came up with the same idea. "Great minds think alike" != plagarism. How many Cybertron Magnus kitbashes have shown up on the boards in the past few weeks? Even if the onus or design or the paint or WHATEVER is similar to the first person that did the bash, it doesn't mean EVERYONE is going to cite that person as their source.

...but judge as you feel judgment is deserving.

6. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As Blue Meanie didn't do the kitbashing himself and is only showcasing the work of his friend i think you point is moot .

Please can we have the photos back they were superb bits of work and the paint was very nice especially the metallic effects.

7. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As Blue Meanie didn't do the kitbashing himself and is only showcasing the work of his friend i think you point is moot .

Please can we have the photos back they were superb bits of work and the paint was very nice especially the metallic effects.

8. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Hang on, how did this go all screwy?

9. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Hang on, how did this go all screwy?

10. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

innovation is rare, ideas are generated from other ideas..
    I missed all the purdy pictures :( 

11. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

innovation is rare, ideas are generated from other ideas..
    I missed all the purdy pictures :( 

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks pk. That's all I felt I was doing - making one aware. I always like like to learn about the work and ideas of artists that preceed myself. "And knowing is half the battle" seems to be a good thing :) 

. . . of course I wasn't planning on doing any "battling" . . . :rolleyes2 

Ops, if you notice, I did discuss those things in my posting. I would hope that the most of you wouldn't think I was being rude myself. However, this discussion has came up a few times, and I felt it important to bring up again. I've tried to do a LOT of things on this subforum to bring some constructivity here, so I felt my intentions were pretty clear. And I'm a "viewer" as much as an artist too. ;) 

There have been tons of things people create that are very similar. However, it's also intirely possible to research and gain a good insight as to who originated it. An Alt Prowl out of the Subaru WRX mold is a good example as well as the recent influx of Cyb UMs. However, even then if one wanted, at least a good idea could be obtained who the original creator was. The proximity of the recent influx of Cyb UMs would be a bit more difficult; the Soundwave/Soundblaster as a Scion would not be, especially since mine is nearly a year old.

It's not a "judgement", and I think that's pretty harsh. I'm just making a point and thought it necessary to discuss the subject of plagerism.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks pk. That's all I felt I was doing - making one aware. I always like like to learn about the work and ideas of artists that preceed myself. "And knowing is half the battle" seems to be a good thing :) 

. . . of course I wasn't planning on doing any "battling" . . . :rolleyes2 

Ops, if you notice, I did discuss those things in my posting. I would hope that the most of you wouldn't think I was being rude myself. However, this discussion has came up a few times, and I felt it important to bring up again. I've tried to do a LOT of things on this subforum to bring some constructivity here, so I felt my intentions were pretty clear. And I'm a "viewer" as much as an artist too. ;) 

There have been tons of things people create that are very similar. However, it's also intirely possible to research and gain a good insight as to who originated it. An Alt Prowl out of the Subaru WRX mold is a good example as well as the recent influx of Cyb UMs. However, even then if one wanted, at least a good idea could be obtained who the original creator was. The proximity of the recent influx of Cyb UMs would be a bit more difficult; the Soundwave/Soundblaster as a Scion would not be, especially since mine is nearly a year old.

It's not a "judgement", and I think that's pretty harsh. I'm just making a point and thought it necessary to discuss the subject of plagerism.

14. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

Please put the pictures back up Blue_Meanie. They’re a great showcase of Jarrod’s talent. And even though some of them were based on others work, I think some of them were original. I don’t remember seeing Breakdown as the white GT before. I could be wrong though.

As a artist, I’m flattered to see someone emulate my work. I say that if you like my work that much that you want one for your own collection, then go for it. It’s also why I put up recipes and WIP pics. It’s the people that copy a bashers work and then put it up on eBay claiming to be a one of a kind original that upsets me.

As for citing inspiration sources, I agree with Op’s that it’s up to the person. In the case here, BM just didn’t remember. That’s not uncommon in this fandom. Though instead of pulling the pics, just ask. I’m sure there are enough people here that could answer your question. But I also got to agree with superquad on this point. If something inspired me to make something, even if it’s just someone else’s idea, I try and give credit.

15. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

Please put the pictures back up Blue_Meanie. They’re a great showcase of Jarrod’s talent. And even though some of them were based on others work, I think some of them were original. I don’t remember seeing Breakdown as the white GT before. I could be wrong though.

As a artist, I’m flattered to see someone emulate my work. I say that if you like my work that much that you want one for your own collection, then go for it. It’s also why I put up recipes and WIP pics. It’s the people that copy a bashers work and then put it up on eBay claiming to be a one of a kind original that upsets me.

As for citing inspiration sources, I agree with Op’s that it’s up to the person. In the case here, BM just didn’t remember. That’s not uncommon in this fandom. Though instead of pulling the pics, just ask. I’m sure there are enough people here that could answer your question. But I also got to agree with superquad on this point. If something inspired me to make something, even if it’s just someone else’s idea, I try and give credit.

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    ok, I'm going to reopen this, but only for a limited time and on a short leash. There wasn't any reason to take the pictures down. Just if someone asks that they be given credit, THEN you could ask jarrod if he got the idea from "such and such" otherwise, don't worry about it man. If you don't repost the pictures within 24 hours though, then I'm going to just make the thread go away as it otherwise serves no purpose.

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    ok, I'm going to reopen this, but only for a limited time and on a short leash. There wasn't any reason to take the pictures down. Just if someone asks that they be given credit, THEN you could ask jarrod if he got the idea from "such and such" otherwise, don't worry about it man. If you don't repost the pictures within 24 hours though, then I'm going to just make the thread go away as it otherwise serves no purpose.

18. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I posted earlier on, but I guess it got overlooked. I'm the creator here.

And no, Soundwave is not based off Superquad's Soundblaster, you can believe what you want, but it truly is a coincidence. I happen to be a fairly slow customizer, and had been working on Soundwave a few months ago, and just recently finished him. Me and Jason actually came up with the idea ourselves on a trip to Universal Studios. I didnt even know there was such a think as a subwoofer tube until he told me about it.

I don't frequent the Kitbash section here very often, and just saw the Soundblaster about a two weeks ago(after my own custom was nearly finished) after Jason sent me a link saying "Hey look, someone else already did almost the same thing".

Case in point, Sodawilly just recently posted a custom Alt Bumblebee a few days before this post was started. It happens to look alot like mine, but there's no way he "copied me" because pics of my Bumblebee were not online. Two customizers just had the same idea.

That said, Trailbreaker is indeed based off Lobo's design, and Hoist is based off a custom posted here as well(Sodawilly' again I think...I cant find the link right now) as I said in an earlier post.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Jarrod

19. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I posted earlier on, but I guess it got overlooked. I'm the creator here.

And no, Soundwave is not based off Superquad's Soundblaster, you can believe what you want, but it truly is a coincidence. I happen to be a fairly slow customizer, and had been working on Soundwave a few months ago, and just recently finished him. Me and Jason actually came up with the idea ourselves on a trip to Universal Studios. I didnt even know there was such a think as a subwoofer tube until he told me about it.

I don't frequent the Kitbash section here very often, and just saw the Soundblaster about a two weeks ago(after my own custom was nearly finished) after Jason sent me a link saying "Hey look, someone else already did almost the same thing".

Case in point, Sodawilly just recently posted a custom Alt Bumblebee a few days before this post was started. It happens to look alot like mine, but there's no way he "copied me" because pics of my Bumblebee were not online. Two customizers just had the same idea.

That said, Trailbreaker is indeed based off Lobo's design, and Hoist is based off a custom posted here as well(Sodawilly' again I think...I cant find the link right now) as I said in an earlier post.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Jarrod

20. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Ok, I'll post up notes and put the pics back on after I put my daughter to bed.