One of the biggest flaws with the Prime toyline?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot Burnout, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

A recent trend I've noticed with Prime deluxes is that there is one core gimmick that they all share: "dramatic head reveal". Of the three deluxes I own (Wheeljack, Soundwave, Knock-Out), each one of them has some mechanic that's supposed to make the head pop out in some kind of fancy way, almost like how a similar line-wide gimmick was promoted for Universe 2.0 new mold figures (I.E. Lambo brothers mold, rotate the roof section and the head rises into position). However, with Prime figures, this seems to be more detrimental than anything. Soundwave's spring loaded head reveal gimmick gets in the way of neck articulation and tends to make his head look lower than it should be, and on Knock-Out the gimmick doesn't even work right. And with Airachnid, the gimmick is more or less the entire reason she has no head articulation.

With FE Cliffjumper, the one FE figure I own, the gimmick in not present as his head just is flipped into position and then is secured by the hood forming his back. It's just my opinion, but I think FE Cliffjumper is a VASTLY superior figure compared to the regular version, and I think it's because the regular version has to devote so much chest space to accommodate the RtS Tracks/Wheeljack like head reveal that most of the transformation had to be built around said gimmick, resulting in a considerably less accurate robot mode.

I think Hasbro went too far in terms of trying to cram the "head reveal" gimmick into Prime, as it's compromising what little toy quality is left simply for a split-second automorph function. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Eh, it's still better than the silly voyager weapons.

On some of them it isn't bothersome at all though and sometimes it's pretty neat. I wouldn't really count it as a big flaw against the line.

Also I agree that SW's head articulation could be better, but it is supposed to sit pretty low according to the show model. People just like to rise the head to try and give him more height.

3. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't the head reveal gimmick the sole reason Hasbro has labelled these as "Revealers"?

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:

The case assortments.

The head thing doesn't bother me. Much better than the automorph crap they did with the 2007 movie line...

5. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm not a big fan of the head reveal in general, but there are some I kind of like. Ratchet and Bumblebee come to mind. I haven't transformed mine in a while so I don't recall the others, but yeah, some of them aren't that great and are a detriment to the figure. I think Airachnid has become the poster-figure for the bad head reveal gimmick.

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ayup.

The head reveal gimmick works just fine. As for Airachnid, she's got a lot more pressing problems going against her over the head reveal gimmick.

edit: Airachnid's lack of neck articulation isn't because of the head reveal gimmick, it's because of the seat attatched to the back of her head for the opening cockpit gimmick.

7. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    The ones where it's not really prominent, like Wheeljack, happen to be nice toys.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On Soundwave it outright hinders the head articulation. On the others I have it's not too bad. The shitty voyager weapons and pointless clear plastic are worse.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My thoughts on the matter:

When does Hasbro ever do something right? It seems like every toy line there is something Hasbro did to take it too far.

I suppose it's the nature of this Fandom.

10. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Never got why people think Soundwave's neck is so limited. It'll do anything I want usually, I rarely even have to deal with the spring.

Personally, I think the gimmick is really fun. Out of what I have, I only dislike Cliffjumper's and that's just because it's kinda lame and uninteresting.

11. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

It's not just one toy line. Over the last year we've had cost cutting, quite a few toys not released in the U.S, very poor communication from Hasbro WRT to those non-releases, and now there's talk of price increases.

Whilst they're just toys and it's hard to condone 'Wahhhh'.... i can understand why people are getting annoyed with Hasbro.

12. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    In most figures the head reveal doesnt affect the figure but with some figures *cough arachnid cough* its either the money could of be spent on the figure better making it look better and if the gimmick wasnt on the figure there could of been more articulation

13. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

A more cynical perspective might suggest that the savings made outweigh the cost of an automorphing head, mechtech weapons, but they've decided that these features will distract people from their corner cutting.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    a distraction that will only last so long. it feels like it's a general sentiment on the boards now that these corner cutting and profit maximizing tactics are irking a lot of fans, both old and new to the franchise.

but the fans only make up a small percentage of the consumers :) 
    we'll have to see how long it takes the general public starts voicing an opinion by leaving hundreds of bumblebees on the shelves at any given time...

o wait.

15. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ Wasn't Hasbro's last quarterly profit returns lower than expected? Well, if the swarms of Bees warming the shelves at retail stores won't convince Hasbro to change their tactics then the next quarterly report hopefully will.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I disagree. FE Cliffjumper is inferior to the RiD Cliffjumper. Many elements about it smack of the TT engineers working from none-final concept renderings of the character. And not "cheating" with fake chest parts. Like all the FE deluxes. While the RiD Cliff looks closer overall to the animation model. Arms aside.

The revealer gimmick is still leaps and bounds better than automorph. And Soundwaves head requires locking in after it pops up. Then it turns fine.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Hmm, lots of interesting takes on the subject!

Well, like I said; it was my opinion:) 

That, and I wasn't trading in the show-accurate hand tri-cannons for a generic looking hammer/gun thing. Accuracy in that department was a big reason why I shelled out the dough for my FE CJ and skipped the PRID figure.

Agreed, automorph more or less just sucked, I think Mech Alive had more of the right idea myself.

And huh, it DOES lock in. Never noticed that on SW before, but now his head works just fine. Thanks!

18. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Wow, an OP who's not impervious to other opinions. Thanks, Burnout.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The gimmick works more than it doesn't, TBH. Cliffjumper is the only one I know where it's a clear detriment. Everyone else it either functions like regular head transformation or works really well.

20. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Only on overall toy sales. Individually the transformers franchise was doing pretty well.

Um, if anything they're gonna go "Clearly we need MORE BUMBLEBEES!"