One More day = One more headache.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Even JMS isn't high on the story.

3. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

I bailed after Back in Black started. Sounds like it was a good move.

4. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I didn't buy the last issue, but I read it. It was horrendus. 1/2 the issue was a reprint of a story about the villan.

5. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Someone needs to stop Quesda. His tactics are getting the company quick sales, but in the long run they are losing loyal readers right and left. And once again One major life changing story arc followed by ANOTHER major life changing story arc. Give me a break!

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

The only Spider-Man comic worth reading is Ultimate Spider-Man.

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I've dropped nearly all Marvel comics, except for Astonishing X-Men (which will be dropped once Whedon and Cassaday are done) and Ultimate Spider-Man. DC's not perfect, but at least they know and understand who their characters are.

8. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't read OMD or BND for free. (and I own a comic shop, so what does that tell you about what I think about the way Spider-man is being treated these days?)

9. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Quesda has been listening to too many yes men. He's lost touch with his public.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    One More Day is crap. We have Spidey back in his red and blues for some unknown reason. We haven't seen him fight a villain AT ALL. It's a lot of nothing going on. I don't blame JMS for wanting his name off the book.

I never thought I would say it but I miss Bill Jemas sometimes.

11. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel VERY sorry for Quesada. Almost everybody has a "What have you done for me lately?" attitude with the man. He has definitely made some mistakes, but he is by FAR one of the greatest EICs in Marvel history...maybe even comic book history. He has turned Marvel completely around and has been behind some AMAZING stories. The X-Men books are the best they've been since Claremon't first run. (I personally think Astonishing is the best X-Men book ever). He's gotten people reading Daredevil, Captain America,etc. etc....books that people wouldn't touch before his arrival. His mistakes are few and
    1) Do NOT spell doom for Marvel.
    2) Do NOT warrant hate mail/death threats.
    While I'm not sure that One More Day is going to end well, I can say that what they have on tap for Brand New Day looks and sounds excellent. I know it's become cool to hate on the guy, but seriously...

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

My problem with Quesada is his Spidey treatment, and the huge mega-crossovers that have fizzled into crap (House of M, Civil War, World War Hulk).

The rest of Marvel however, has been solid. Yes, the X-Books are better than they have been in years (minus the last year or so of New X-Men, and the crap that Astonishing has been since issue 7).

13. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

So any one else think that OMD/BND is going to be the Clone Saga of this Decade?
    Why does it seem like there has to be one shit-tacular "Event" almost every Decade (The original Clone Saga, Spider-Clone Saga, now OMD/BND)?

14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

I think part of the problem is when he first started as editor rather than Crossover-crossover-crossover, the comics were story driven. He got talented writers and artists to just write and draw comics. But after awhile he started thinking he knew what the readers wanted despite bad reactions to many stories, his goods outweighed his bads. So he got bolder and started interfearing with some of his writers stories. While some writers were able to compensate, others weren't. Readers started to notice writers they had really liked writing really bad stories. We started hating the writers and asking why marvel had let them do this or that. It was very out of character for our favorite characters. Their backstories and motivations were being rewritten to fit the story, rather than the story being written to fit the character. It didn't make sense. Marvel must not be editing their writers, some one needs to tell them that there are certain things the characters wouldn't do. Then it became world changing event after world changing event going on for 3 or 4 years now. They keep changing the status quo, but the readers haven't had the time to figure out what the status quo is. As soon as one event finishes killing characters and changing the heroes world forever, the next world changing event starts. The reader has no time to care about the characters or have them regain some status or react to the changes in the book. Instead here come even more changes. Several years later many readers are realizing that the characters they used to care about so much aren't the same anymore and they really don't care about them. So they start wondering how this happened it must have been those bad writers. Well it turns out that a certain editor has been telling his writers what to write. Writers are taking their names off stories because they don't like this editor's ideas. Some writers are even leaving the books.

Quesda used to do a good job, and no one is saying he didn't, but doing a good job in the past doesn't equate to the now. The same thing has happened with previous editors and writers. John Byrne, Clarimont, Harris, Devin Grayson. They start believing that the characters are theirs and they know best. Many editors think that even though the readers don't like what is going on if they keep doing it the readers will catch on, well it either works, or they build the hole they are in deeper. We are dealing with 30 to 50 year old characters. That's several generations of readers. Unfortunately you can't please everybody. But you don't want to cut out a large group that has been supporting your company for years in favor of short term sales. Marvel has only been planning for short term shocks and the backlash is now comming. Same thing happened to both companies in the 90's. I wouldn't want Quesda's job, but since he is in charge he either reaps the rewards and accolations or the boos and hisses. Ultimately it's up to the people who pay money for the product to decide if it's worth the money. But when you start hearing this many boo's it's usually a warning that sales will be dropping. I know marvel has been increasingly losing my money week after week.

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I have to concur with everything Tekkaman said. Joe Q started out very strong has EIC, and came across to everyone has the fan's EIC. In his first year, he had me reading; Daredevil, Hulk, Captain America, and Amazing Spider-man again after I had given up hope on them. The stories were not written for shock value or to change the status quo, but to tell great stories. I guess telling stories without shock got old in his book. Now its just megaevent after megaevent, shocking death followed by shocking return, and variant cover followed by even 'rarer' variant cover. I can't stand him now because everything that he did to make him a great editor to bring the old school fans back (no second prints, few if any variants, and no crossovers designed to shake up the status quo constantly) is apparently no longer marketable according to him. Now he is doing the opposite driving us away again, and Its like he's Bizarro Joe Quesada.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't think anyone said that Joe Q has never done anything right.
    Obviously death threats and things like that are just stupid, but I think people can rightfully bitch about the complete mess the main Marvel books have become.

They are not character books anymore -they are all "events" and there are only so many events that one can care about.

You want me to care about Aunt May's life being in the balance?
    Then you should not have undone ASM #400 because I have already gone on that ride.

And you also can not deny all the writers who have complained that they did not get to write their stories because they had to follow Joe Q's plot outline.

And, honestly, how stupid is it to erase Mary Jane and Peter's relationship?
    It is just dumb -on an epic scale.
    So, that means Peter never got involved with anyone else after all these years?
    Not the Black Cat? No one?

How many continuity events would have been different, too if MJ were not around?
    How many times was Spider-man somewhere because he was running an errand for her, or was just available or unavailable for heroics because of her.

Wouldn't he have just always worn the black costume?
    Didn't he stop wearing it because Mary Jane was scared of Venom?

The whole concept of the story is based on stupidity.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Or...a Skrull. :sly: 

18. smkspy

:lolol  Yeah, Skrulls are real, and they've taken over Marvel by replacing the real Quesada...makes sense when you think it about it.

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  20. smkspy

I guess MJ is the new Marvel Girl. Since when has JJJ been a relevant character in Spidey's books?