On the Technobots...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cobalt Agent, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

You I just got done thinking about the roles of the combiner teams in G1, and I want to pose this question-

What the fuck is the point of the Technobots?

Hear me out now. The Technobots are my favorite combiner team, and Computron is my favorite gestalt. However looking back, G1 always seemed to give the big guns like the combiners and Omega Supreme a good backstory and function and even their alternate modes reveal their purpose and for combiner teams they all share a common theme-

Omega Supreme is a defense base and guarded Crystal City. The Constructicons were friends of Omega and betrayed him; their alternate modes are all construction vehicles and they serve as builders.

The Stunticons are all road vehicles and suited for controlling the roads; they were created to give the Decepticons an edge on the ground against the Autobots. The Aerialbots are the exact opposite, all becoming planes and jets to take away Decepticon air superiority.

The Combaticons were built as commandos/a combat unit that uses military precision; they have military theme alt modes. The Protectobots are the opposite-ish, with emergency themed alt modes.

...What the hell with the Technobots? In the cartoon at least, they're made on the spot by genius Grimlock to fight the Terrorcon combiner Abominus. But aside from all being made from rubble in Unicron's head, they have nothing in common.

The Aerialbots are jets, the Protectobots are emergency vehicles, the Technobots are... spacy?

Really it seems the only common bond the Technobots have is Computron, who himself is only special as a combiner for being the opposite of the brutish Abominous by being super intelligent... But shit, that just irks me that they have almost nothing in common outside of their combined form being opposite of a giant idiot.

At least the Terrorcons individually are all... terrifying monsters? But the Technobots are all... technical? I don't care how futuristic the Technobots look, a fighter jet, a race car, a motorcycle, a drill tank, and a cannon plane don't really fit together to me. I don't know.

2. VenomKing

VenomKing Well-Known Member

They're just "futuristic" alt modes who were shown I believe to assist with that Earth defense thing.

You mention the Terrocons as well that have no actual meaning also.

3. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I think they are supposed to be well prepared futuristic tactile force of sorts.

Nosecone being the heavy armored debris mover. He can clear and or make paths when needed by the others.

Afterburner being a highly maneuverable ground force, being able to squeeze into places the others cant.

Lightspeed being a super fast ground force, for pursuing enemy's that afterburner or strafe may have trouble keeping up with.

Strafe being a highly maneuverable aerial craft, making him perfect for dogfighting and protecting scattershot, he is also perfect for solo missions where scattershot could not fit or is to slow to defend himself.

and finally

Scattershot being the heavy aerial artillery of the bunch, he is highly armored and highly armed, may not be very fast but he can destroy larger foes than the other technobots. He also serves as a hub for the other technobots, kinda like a mobile base of sorts.

Basically computron was the swiss army knife of combiners. He was always well prepared for any situation, and while they don't appear to work well with each other they actually do once combined.

Although it should be noted that its cannon that none of them really get along and their personality's really clash. Although this is partially why computron is so smart, because he has so many different viewpoints to use when calculating a course of action.

The reason why he is so effective against abombinus is because abombinus is just about as unprepared as they come, and he prefers to do things spur of the moment, including fighting. So it only makes sense that a well prepared master tactician would be the perfect thing to use against a unorganized brute.

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You forgot the terrorcons and piranhacons as well as Predaking

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    He covered the Terrorcons, saying they're "all monsters." Likewise, the Piranacons are all sea creatures and the Predacons are all predatory animals (or at least "tough" animals). The Technobots, as a group, make less sense.

None of their alt modes really have anything in common. You could say the theme is "they're futuristic," but the actual function of each vehicle has a recognizable, contemporary purpose and, as he said, they don't really match.
    Afterburner - he's fast and he can drive vertically. Oh, ok.
    Nosecone - a durable ATV mining vehicle. Universally useful, sure?
    Strafe - he flies. he's good at it. he can shoot things too.
    Lightspeed - he's a really fast car. Apparently this is a "vital function he fulfills." Everyone on the team is fast except for Nosecone, but his speed is vital, for realious.
    Scattershot - a flying gun. Awesome.

But they match personality wise, right? They're all science nerds? Well, fiction portrays them this way, but their tech specs tell a different story... most of them are so sociopathic that they'd out-crazy the Stunticons.

Scattershot - the kind of swaggering militant badass that'd make the Wreckers proud
    Afterburner - careless and defiant over everything, which brings him into direct conflict with Scattershot's authoritative mind
    Strafe - a really nice guy, but you'd never know it because he's as paranoid as Breakdown or Red Alert; if anything near him makes a move (even an ally), he'll freak out and shoot at it
    Nosecone - mostly well-adjusted... he's careful, thorough, and slow... which makes people think he's lazy.
    Lightspeed - seemingly the most well-adjusted... intelligent and respectful. But he hates himself cos he's a ground bot. He wants to be able to fly and explore (in space. SPACE. SPAAAAAAAAACE)
    Computron - somehow, all of these guys come together to make a super intelligent being... but his intelligence comes from needing to reach a consensus from all of its components, meaning he can take several minutes just to answer a "Yes or no" question

The closest thing these guys have to a real theme is their color scheme and the fact that they're all heavily flawed. But that's not much of an obvious team motif, is it?

6. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest, the most literal answer that I can give you is that they were more toys for Hasbro to sell.

7. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But in the original line of thought the ones I mentioned make no sense either. Predaking is a bunch of animal alt modes...think about that. He's not from earth and created in space. WTF? Also it's not exactly robots in disguise when they're big orange robotic animals. Same with the other two mentioned. Terrorcons make as much sense as the technobots. What are they?

It does come down to molds available and selling the toy THEN thinking of a story for them.

8. Abrogate

News Credits:
    The point isn't what sense they make in the story, it's how well they integrate as a group. Constructicons - construction vehicles, all the same color. Stunticons - sociopathics road warriors. Piranacons - pastel colored sea monsters. But what's the technobots uniting theme? Sure they've got a similar aesthetic, but it's not very specific

9. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cybertronian vehicles who like crappy german house music?

Honestly they always made sense to me (can't remember the cartoon but didn't perform technical duties on cybertron?) except for the drill. That one reminds me of the game "one of these things is not like the others". All of them are vehicles of transport except the drill. That's a work vehicle. I think the motorcycle fits just because it's a Tron looking thing. I guess the more I write out the analysis the less they do make sense. time for tfwiki!

10. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    They're all heavily armed in vehicle mode.

11. Abrogate

News Credits:
    It's not something I've ever thought about (can't say I really care about the Technobots), but the original poster made a good point so I rolled with it

12. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    They are all psychotic nerds.

0_o