On the Subject of Leaks

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Driskull98, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Driskull98

Driskull98 Out of the Silent Planet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It seems that for every new Generations subline, there is usually a massive amount of information that is unintentionally leaked by someone in Hasbro that allows fans to know ahead of time what's to come.

For some, it's an awesome sneak peek without having to wait for a convention or panel. For others, it's a spoiler for what could have been a welcome surprise.

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I hate leaks. I think they detract a lot from the prerelease anticipation of certain figures. I liked the days pre-Combiner Wars where the only leaks we had were extremely vague Wal-Mart computer listings. We had no idea guys like Darkmount or Thunderwing were headed our way so it was a complete surprise to see Hasbro unveil them at BotCon 2010.

It also derails the excitement around conventions like SDCC or ToyFair. Before leaks were commonplace, we would all gather around the front page mindlessly refreshing to get the latest updates. Now that we know what Hasbro will show off, more people have become apathetic to these events. I see a lot of people complain that Hasbro "didn't show anything new" when most of the stuff would've been new had it not been leaked six weeks prior.

2. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I can see a benefit in a leak revealing characters you might otherwise have spent big 3P or TFCC bucks on (Battletrap). But I do agree about it taking the specialness out of reveals and creating unfair expectations for Toy Fair and the like. Except when the reasons for Hasbro holding back the reveal for so long are inexplicable (ah...Battletrap).

• Like Like x 5
  3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I really don't see the difference between a leak surprising you versus Hasbro doing it themselves. The surprise comes earlier, sure, but the end result is still the same, you now know that X figure is coming.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

The leaks, while a beautiful tease, has really been a buzz kill as of late. Imagine just how excited people would have been when they saw the Dinobots for the first time, but that was killed due to the leaks. The Studio Series? I was bouncing off the wall when we first saw the leaked pictures of Megatron and Brawl, but then I realized that the joy wasn't meant to be felt that day. The people at Hasbro have worked hard to please fans, but they don't get the credit they deserve, because people already knew about the figures.

I really hope these leaks stop, because it's ruining the excitement, at least for me it is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Leaks used to be exciting, but at this point I'd rather the leakers didn't bother than keep putting out those obnoxiously obscured ones they've been doing the past couple years. There's nothing exciting about boxart that's been scribbled over in MS Paint or that's been chopped up and slowly released bit by bit over the following days.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Considering official sources are so bad at reveals that Elita 1 and Hun-Grr weren’t officially revealed until after they’d already started trickling out I’d say the leaks are great.

Unfortunately the current marketing team either doesn’t give a shit or are catastrophically incompetent as you don’t hear about product unless it’s at a convention, by which time it’s probably long since known about or even already released.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
  7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think leaked information is exciting.

8. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

As long as they deliver I couldn't care less how they reveal them.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I've discussed the counterpoint to this elswehere.

A lack of leaks isn't so much of a problem as long as Hasbro's marketing department is doing its job. Back during the days of the 2010 Generations line, you didn't need leaks because Hunter PR would steadily announce and preview the latest upcoming toys. You knew what was coming simply because Hasbro would tell you, and you could rely on that.

These days, Hasbro's marketing department has become such a joke that even without leaks, you'd learn about new toys because someone found them at retail, either in Asia or even in the US or Europe before Hasbro would proudly admit their existence at the latest Toy Fair or comic convention.

There's spoiling the surprise, and then there's being late to your own show.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Gallade

Gallade Trap & Ambush

News Credits:
    I'm more mixed about leaks. Like others mentioned, it kills the surprise of the figures. And so when Hasbro releases them, everyone is just like,"Hey, I saw that already! Looks good/bad though!" rather than a "zoMG pl0x!!!". At the same time, leaks are pretty good. Like my anticipation goes way high up because I know which character will appear as a part of the toyline. For example, when we learned of Stinger, Lockdown, Crowbar, and Jazz being a part of Studio Series, I was rolling on the floor. I was so thrilled because we were going to get updates of characters I thought needed better toys. And my anticipation for this line has been pretty high too because
    we now know of an upcoming Ironhide and Bonecrusher...

11. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think the leaks just build up my anticipation for the figure, while the official reveal confirms that the toy will be released/gives us a better look at the figure. My knowledge of the studio series leaks didn't lessen my anticipation for the official reveal.

12. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

I'm paranoid by nature. I think the leaks are purposely orchestrated by Has/Tak to build up early preorders through online retailers.

On the meh side, having the access to ecommerce as an adult makes it easier for me to put some funds aside and reserve what figures I know I'll be getting 5-7 months from now. On the blah side, it takes out all the fun of seeing a completely new mold for the first time ever right there on the peg or on the box-back promo. We all still have that dream, don't we?

As a serious collector, leaks work to my advantage. As a child of the 80s, leaks deny me that Kay-Bee Plastic Crack Thrill of the hunt that will never be recounted as lucidly.

-Kronatron

13. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I like them. Keep them coming. I enjoy that at any time I could check the frontpage and something interesting could be there instead of having to shelve my expectations until the next big boring corporate event.

Ruining the excitement of what though? It's not the same as plot points for a film being leaked.

You're receiving pictures of upcoming figures from Source A earlier than from Source B.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I remember back in like 2006-2009 when leaks and stolen Chinese toys were so common it was almost unheard of for their not to be a prototype revealed before and official announcement. You just expected it. Half the first movie's cast and designs were seen first as toys.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Toddimus Prime

Toddimus Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    All you youngsters, talking about leaks...meh. In my day, a leak was when someone brought their insert catalog to school and let you look at it during recess. Otherwise, you just found out about a given figure when you saw it on store shelves. Talk about being surprised... (lol)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's more like ruining the surprise that a film is coming to begin with.

"ZOMG, I know all the films that are coming up beforehand! I miss the days when I could just walk into a theater and there would be a new Star Wars movie I didn't even know about!"

17. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I find Hasbro's official announcements to be so spotty that it's hard to be disappointed at leaks. There have been several times where Hasbro's official announcement or reveal has come AFTER the toys are already on shelves. If the point of official communication is to drive our anticipation and desire for the products, ty have a lot of room for improvement.

The downside to leaks are that sometimes plans change, and there will be fans disappointed in what we didn't get - even though we were never officially promised it. Things like the various alternate head leaks of the past decade, suggesting characters that largely didn't materialize.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

I don't mind leaks. No one is making me check Transformers websites daily. If I'm spoiled, it's my fault.

But it's a *toy*, not a movie plot. They're not really spoilers.

Where Hasbro's marketing seems to really fail is their whole push with the Youtube animated shows. They can't seem to line up the airing of their shows with the toys they're supposed to promote. Nearly everything in Combiner Wars and Titans Returns were no longer available for purchase by the time the episodes with those toys aired.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like leaks, let's be know early if there's anything worth looking forward to.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

20. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I actually like leaks, especially the last leak. It was their product line for half the year (I think) and it told us who was coming in what wave. It meant that if we missed out on Optimus or Rodimus, we knew they would both be back. And it meant if we happened to see Moonracer, then buy her because she's only in that one wave (so far). It helped tell us who we could wait on and what to expect in the future. Other leaks are neat. I will agree with everyone and say that Hasbro marketing has been just the worst. I only knew about Studio Series Thundercracker from this website and was lucky enough to find him the very next day. I honestly think the marketing team is using us and leaks as advertising and then taking their budget and having margarita parties.

This was a topic on another thread but I wish that TF would stop doing waves and instead throw their entire product lineup for half the year on store shelves. For some reason games have a strict release date that is almost always adhered to, what makes toys so different? Is it because everyone toy company has to agree to do it or is it just pointless to do? Basically what I'm saying is that I want actually release dates for these suckers. And maybe have a limit on how many you can buy the first week they are released in order to curb scalping, then after that it's a free for all. This would be helpful and would make leaks irrelevant because we would know when everything was coming out.

• Like Like x 1