On the phone with Hasbro Germany

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Originally posted in German here (site is currently down, but will hopefully be up again tomorrow):
    http://www.thetransformers.de/include.php?path=forum/showthread.php&threadid=583

A few months ago, Hasbro Germany's current Transformers "brand manager" invited me and a few other fans to Hasbro Germany's new offices. Unfortunately, the trip initially wouldn't happen for time reasons, which is why I had an extended phone call with him today instead.

Summary:
    - Apparently, European distribution in general is down to the US mother company, who decide on which toys will get released in Europe. The domestic branches don't have much of a say in which individual products they will release and what the case assortments will be.
    - Some toys being released in Europe in US packaging (cue Cybertron Starscream in the UK) is due to a combination of sudden demand and a shortage of products. US toys will be shipped to Europe and applied with a sticker, making it legal for the European market.
    - The German TV airing of the Armada cartoon three years ago was apparently cut short (20 episodes only) for concerns about "too much violence". Hasbro didn't agree with that decision either, but the TV station was very serious about it.
    - The Cybertron toy line will be fully released in Germany (i.e. anything that's available in Europe will also come out in Germany). All size classes will come out (not sure about Supreme Starscream, see below for why).
    - High end collectors' items are not considered viable for the German market. As a result, 20th Anniversary Prime might not come out here.
    - The movie toyline is already in production. Some people at Hasbro Germany have even seen animatics of the movie.
    - The Hasbro Germany guy described the aesthetics of the movie characters as a "quantum leap" as compared to what we've been used to so far, but also admitted that some old school fans might be disappointed.
    - There might be a sneak preview of the movie toyline in Hasbro Germany's offices later this year. No photos will be allowed.
    - Hasbro Germany hope that the movie line will re-ignite interest in Transformers in Germany.
    - Hasbro consider LEGO their biggest competitor for the "Boys Toys" market at least in Europe/Germany.
    - Hasbro Germany appear to be VERY eager to cooperate with the fandom. They're willing to participate in contests, and also consider asking fans for help with background information for media coverage.
    - As far as Hasbro Germany's PR department is concerned, the live-action TF movie will be the first live action movie based on a toy line. When I mentioned the "Masters of the Universe" movie from the 80s, he said he'll blissfully ignore that one.
    - There's one more thing I won't discuss in here - but if it does indeed pan out, Hasbro Germany will earn a lot of respect for their efforts.

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting stuff. :thumb 

Still enough for Hasbro UK to stagger the launch of Cybertron compared to the launch in other European countries..

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    PM it to me! PM it to me! You know how much we share in our slumber parties.

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so we can start blaming hasbro us instead of uk for not getting the full toyline out here?

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    That about the last part? It won't actually affect anyone who doesn't understand German anyways, so there's not much of a secret there for you. ;) 

6. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    The fact that you can get just about anything here as far as toys, movies, and video games go is one of the reasons why i always want to live in the US :) 

7. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what we really need, even more Hasbro bashing...

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Eh, if they don't want to support the line over here it's no wonder there's a smaller fan base. There's only so much people can put up with after all. I'm just annoyed at the long wait between lines and waves - did we ever get any more deluxes?

9. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Can someone please follow this up at Botcon?

Hasbro UK claim Hasbro US sets the case assortments/distribution. Hasbro Germany now say the same.

Hasbro US claim the international subsiduaries set all this stuff themselves.

Someone, probably the group who's fault it is, are lying through their teeth. Could we please find out who?

Phazer

10. R2Going

R2Going Cybertronian Sentinel

Ebay:
    So I take it this must mean Exoskeleton-bots or Shell-formers? I am not liking this, as i've been down on the direction of the film ever since photos surfaced of the "animatronic" bumblebee. Michael Bay says the bumblebee on set is only for a physical marker for the actors, i'm highly suspicious of that and expect all the bots to look skeletal and quite thin on bot parts.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Entirely justified, by the sounds of it. Unlike you, blissfully living in a country that gets full lines, we've been stiffed on TFs for a decade (think on that the next time you wander into a store and see Alternators on the shelf; no-one in the UK has since Smokescreen). Hasbro US have always denied having anything to do with it, and now we get this. So someone has been bullshitting us for years. I'm amazed there hasn't been MORE Hasbro bashing in this thread already.
    You'd better bloody believe it, m8.

12. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I live in the US, and I haven't seen any alts on the shelves since smokescreen. :drunk 

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Hey, we got Alt Op. I'm looking at him now.

OH GOD! MY EYES! The goggles... they do nothing :( 

14. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

We did?...

15. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Argos have, though that's not technically on a shelf

16. McBradders

Argos my friend, the laminated book of dreams holds the answer!

17. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Ahh, sweet! I'd prefer a 'proto/testshot' though, just to fill out the collection...

18. McBradders

>_<

Showoff!

19. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I don’t think Hasbro US is entirely to blame. Surely the UK, Germany, and other European countries are telling Hasbro US what is selling and they are shipping according to the information that they are being supplied and guessing what will sell. Like Sol Fury said there is a smaller fan base in Europe, although he says this is because of lack of support. The thing is the fan base over there as much as here has little to do with distribution, it is the kids and sales of figures that Hasbro in every country is concerned with. We fans are secondary, but still important in the long run. Usually when one person says one thing and another says something different the truth is somewhere in the middle. The bottom line is the sales and with no cartoon support, as in the case with Armada in Germany, determine what is released. If sales improve then more will be released and if they decline then you get fewer figures. It doesn't help that the line in America has been getting bigger for each series. I just can't see Hasbro US screwing the fans over seas so much when profit is involved.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    wow. hasbro germany rawks!

dude, lemme guess, that last bit - theyre doing a transforming hasselhoff figure innit?

"I've been looking for freedom,
    I've been looking so long..."

that too much violence ruling sucks tho. i mean, its not even human on human violence.