On the issue of "Bumblebee". Check this out.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by robv60, Aug 23, 2006.

1. valentine75

valentine75 Looking for the allspark

The Mini Cooper fell through because BMW didnt want the character to have a gun (they had already made a prototype with a gun)

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe VW's specific reason was that they don't want to be associated with "war" toys. So...even without a gun, the subject matter would likely have turned them off. :/

*edit*
    And apparently I read "BMW" as "VW". :lol 

3. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

You mean like IDW's comic book adaptions that have them turning into Modern vehicles and not the G1s? Good call.

Nevermind the new 'Elseworlds' type modes.

4. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:

Trust me, as someone who works in the 3D industry, it wouldn't work to have such simple, cartoony objects placed in a real life setting, it just wouldn't work for anyone outside the immediate fan base.

And no, the audience doesn't all know who optimus prime is, there are TONS of people out there who don't know who he is or what hes "supposed" to be, this is and has been stated MANY times, a reimagining of transformers as a whole, live with it.

Also, stop "flamebaiting", this is your only verbal warning.

where did you get that info? I have NEVER heard anything about that before, I'm pretty sure its untrue.

5. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I look at some very nice fan made animations everywhere, especially here in the Fan-Art forum, and beg to differ.

For those who don't, there would be no difference then. Like I said, it's standarized dismiss instead of reasonable arguments. Changes have been made just because some people "can". :horse: 

Fine, and maybe when *I* get flamebaited, as I extensivelly was in the Optimus thread, I'll ask for your help.

6. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

First off, I don't think anyone wants a literal translation of the cartoon. However, the liberal departures from the iconic design motifs are a legitimate concern. No one has successfully explained why elements of the G1 look can't be adapted to be more detailed or realized more realistically.

7. Satan Santa

Satan Santa Knows you've been naughty

Oh, man... seriously? You use ALL CAPS, then say "live with it", and then accuse someone of flamebaiting?

You should mod yourself.

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    He is a mod. As am I. So now you can listen to me say it. if you don't like the rules set forth by the staff here, you are more than welcome to leave. Otherwise, all we ask is to follow the rules.

9. Satan Santa

Satan Santa Knows you've been naughty

No offense, but I think you guys are trying too hard. Maybe I'm not an all-mighty mod like you guys, but since you've used this thread to voice your opinions, I guess that means it's a valid forum for this. I think the first mod's post was more inflammatory than the post it was trying to moderate.

I have no problem with the rules, but please don't bully people with your super mod powers if you aren't going to follow them yourselves.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Fair enough. However let me suggest that when you (or anyone) have a problem with a mod, shoot myself or one of the other staffers a PM. Then we can address the issue right away and not derail and thread. And best of all, no heated arguments.

11. Thomas Hamann

Thomas Hamann Banned

oh come on they can try better than that.

12. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

Oh my God! He used capslock to highlight a single word and then automatically it's "flamebating"?

1. You don't seem to know what all-caps means. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all-caps meant an entire message written with nothing but capital letters. The mod highligted a single word in capital letters, nothing more. Omg, he was too lazy to type in BB code, LYNCH HIM! (Uh oh, I used capital letters, now I'll be accused of "flamebating" too!) Next thing, you're probably gonna accuse me of "flamebating" because I spell "I" with a capital I and "Mod" with a capital M. That's just capital.

2. I think the Mod had a very good reason to present a warning. To my eyes, it looked well-formulated and polite, but with a neccesary hint at authority (people won't pay attention to 'non-authority'). Too bad that people have their heads stuck up their hind-quarters that they can't take a little bit of criticism directed at their own behaviour, without accusing the Mods/Admins of being 'Nazis'. You guys don't seem to realize how difficult it can be to enforce rules. As a Mod, you're expected to do everything perfect and if you make a slight mistake, people are mercilessly gonna accuse you of being a dictator and a Nazi, completely forgetting that the Mods are humans too and that "it's human to err".

3. cappeca was flamebating to the best of my knowledge. It could have been an accident of course, but he came off very rude to me with his bullshit about "standardized dismissal" or whatever. He seemed to pretty much stubbornly refuse anything in what looks to me like a better formulated set of arguments, by making use of a similar "standard dismissal". Maybe he should pay a little bit of attention to what he himself says sometimes?

Sorry about this off-topic rant, but I got a little pissed off about this incident.

Now for the topic:
    Yeah and they're taken within a limited context and display limited movement. If you're gonna have robots that fight effectively, then they need hundreds of complex, articulate joints that those fan-made animation robots don't even get close to.
    And you forgot to respond to the bit about "working with non-fans" - are you a non-fan?
    Oh like your dismiss isn't anymore standardized? Your dismissal looks like about 90% of the dismissals to this sort of argument that I've come across. I'm very sorry, but you do come across as sporting a bit of a "better than thou" attitude, so perhaps it's not surprising that a Mod thought you were flamebating.
    And I'm not sure people ignorant of Optimus Prime wouldn't want the leader of the autobots to look as badass as humanly possible. That long-nose truck looks far more powerful than G1 Optimus' original alt-mode.

Some non-fans might have been disappointed if this "supposedly badass" Autobot leader doesn't look all the way the badass he is in his alt-mode and maybe a flatnose wouldn't do it for them. Obviously, Hollywood is aware of this, so naturally, they give Optimus the biggest, most "tough" looking alt-mode possible.

Me, I don't mind BB being a Camaro. I never really liked G1 Bumblebee's alt-mode and the Camaro looks nice (sure, you can accuse me all you want of "not being a true TF fan" all you want, but I know what I like and I know I dig tf). His robot mode could have been better though, but I'll reserve final judgement until I see it animated.

13. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I did not question the "flamebait" line because, after re-reading my own post, it did sound like that. I'm sorry that it sounded rude, but I ask you to understand that some of the arguments you have used has been used by many with the intention to troll, no further explanation and no space left for a reply. If you found my comment rude, be assured that I found your comment rude *first*. I apologize for my reply, and now I'm adopting a new approach of asking people to elaborate their one-line rethorics. So far, I had no consistent reply.

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

15. Kittie Rose

Kittie Rose Banned

I'm sorry, but why are the mods here so determined to cover Bay's red and blue flaming ass in the most illogical manner?

If you like the designs, fine, but trying to justify them actually beign in this movie in the way you're doing is stupid.

Why wouldn't a small car work? How is a small car "cartoony"? It's missing the point of Bumblebee completely. And the point of "More than meets the eye". Bumblebee is MEANT to be cute and "cartoony". if you don't ike that, don't put him in the movie. Put in Hot Rod instead.

And people are saying BUT IT ISN'T THE SAME BUMBLEBEE!!! Thus proving the point that this is a stupid cash-in abusing brand recognition for a quick buck. It SHOULD be the same Bumblebee. Any other fandom would be pissed at these changes. Why are people here so damn gullible? Yeah you can claim it's your personal choice and preference, whatever - viral marketting and memes do exist and this idiocy is riding on the sentiment of the "TRUKK NOT MUNKY" wars. Don Murphy & Co. are purposely abusing that.

Honestly, just look at the designs. And look at anything Transformers.

You can say it's meant to be a WHOLE NEW DIRECTION, but it's not - it's a WHOLE NEW TRANSFORMERS, one that makes little sense to associate with the old ones. It's missing most of the charm that made it Transformers.

16. rayray40

rayray40 Member

I'm with You, I think the BB camaro is sweet both models old & new. :rock 

17. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Well-Known Member

There were so many better choices than the Camaro. The writers have said that his personality is somewhat similar to G1, so a muscle car makes no sense other than to help GM promote that car.

There are so many better choices for Bumblebee.

-Toyota Yaris
    -Chevy Aveo
    -Nissan Versa
    -Honda Fit
    -Kia Rio
    -Pontiac G5
    -Chevy Impala SS

Especially the Yaris....that would have been perfect for Bumblebee.