On the fence here, but I'm thinking of getting an Xbox 360...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Well, my birthday's only a month from tomorrow, and to be honest, I have no freaking clue of what I want for my birthday. Other than wanting Super Smash Bros Brawl (which I'll probably get the day it's released) and Masterpiece Megatron, I was thinking about finally stepping on the bandwagon and getting an Xbox 360. Yep, I might be getting a 360, but there are a few questions that I need answered before I consider...

First off, the Red Ring of Death. Everyone who owns a 360 has to have either heard about it or actually had this happen to their console. That's the first thing keeping me from wanting a 360. Has this been resolved yet? Because I remember some time ago (last fall I think), that Microsoft would finally fix this problem by putting in some "Eagle" chip in the console that would keep the system from crashing. (I don't know what it is, forgive my elementary intellect of what's inside machines :p ) So, are there "fixed" 360 consoles out there now? Or is the Red Ring of Death still prominent?

Second, the variety of different versions of the same console. When it first launched back in 2005, the Xbox 360 came out in two different versions: the core version, which just has the basic stuff, and the "Pro" version, which was everything needed, including the ability to go online with it. Since the launch, there was also the "Halo 3" edition, and the Elite version which has a bigger hard drive and a slick black color scheme. And of course, there's also the "Arcade" version which, IIRC, would be an Xbox 360 that came with Arcade games included in the system. But here's the thing that kind of scares me: Would ANY of these different versions of the 360 work on a regular TV? I only have a Standard Format TV (because getting an HDTV right now is out of the question), and I fear that if I get an Xbox 360, it won't come with the Standard A/V cable, and only come with the HDMI components and other HD stuff. So do all different versions of the 360 come with a Standard A/V cable? If so, then that's one concern gone.

Third, and foremost: THE GAMES. I already know that I want Halo 3, Dead or Alive 4, and Mass Effect. Any other good games for the 360? I like all genres, so there's no problem there.

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get the Elite. Evidently it fixed the red rings, it hooks up to your standard or an HD TV, and it has a 120 Gig hard-drive to boot.

And games? You'll have no problem finding good ones at all.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    1. the RROD shouldn't put you off; if you do get it Microsoft will sort it out free of charge for 3 years (by which time you may well be looking into getting a new system anyway). Mine got it last year and I had a brand new console inside of 3 weeks.
    2. A friend of mine got a 360 with the 20Gb HD a few months back, and it did indeed come with a regular AV cable. It also had an HDMI port, so you'd be covered if you decide to get an HD TV down the line.
    3. Crackdown, Prey, Gears Of War, Bioshock, Dead Rising, to name but a few.

4. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES. It's the best game that isn't played with a fake musical instrument.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Do you have a decent/good PC?

If so just skip the 360 as it really doesn't have any exclusives worth noting....

If not though I say go for it, as it does have a rather solid library. If you do get one, go for the Elite.

As for games:
    Dead Rising
    Mass Effect
    Rock Band
    Bioshock
    Gears of War
    Assassins Creed
    Oblivion

Skip Halo....

6. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

As others have said don't worry about the RROD microsoft will fix it for free. All of the newest ones out now should have the Falcon chipset and a better fan so your good there too. If you do get it spring for Live Gold it's worth it.
    Games I would recomend are Rainbow Six: Vegas (1 and 2 when it comes out) Assasin's Creed, The Orange Box, Halo 3, CoD 4(then join all of us in the TFW clan) Gears of War, Mass Effect, DMC 4. There are others but these are the ones that spring to my mind.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So all the new models come with an HDMI port? I'm thinking about getting one too. I want HDMI, but I don't want an Elite. I don't need a huge HDD and all that other crap, just HDMI and a wireless controller.

Unless the Elite has wireless networking built in, I'd like that too.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  8. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Rainbow Six Las Vegas is good if you want a sort of SWAT style action, thats the game the convinced me to get a 360.

Call of Duty 4 is really popular on these forums, and so is Halo 3.

I really cant think much aside from what everyone else has said and then most of my opinions become really biased. Basically most of my collection for my Xbox is the Tom Clancy licenced games which I think are really good.

9. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

They all have HDMI now, just get the one with the 20 gig HDD as the HDD does come in handy at times.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

As others have said, Microsoft's on the ball fixing any "RRoD" issues. I've had a 360 for just over a year now, and not had any issues at all thankfully.

As you said...MASS EFFECT! Crackdown is also fantastic.

11. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

RROD is beign worked on, its less common in the newer revisions I believe andn Microsoft is very quick with the coffin and turn around(3 weeks is fast for this kind of thing I guess). 3 year warenty for free is good too. Also, any multiplatform game on the PS3 is 9 times out of 10 is better on 360, trust me Mass Effect, H3, COD4, Biosock, Forza2, you just can't go wrong with a 360. Buy an Elite though, best value IMO.

12. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Get one and you'll be happy.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Get one. as others have said, the RROD is not fixed, but microsoft will replace or fix the system. It's a great platform with a lot of great games available for it now, and in the future.

the only warning I'd give anyone getting one is with downloaded stuff from Xbox live. if you do end up having you system replaced, you'll have to be online to use anything you got off live before the replacement. Microsoft IS working on a fix for that too though.

so yeah. get one.

14. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I'd say get one. DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING outside of the Elite or the Premium. There are a few games out there that require a HDD, or if you want DLC as well. Obviously get H3, CoD4(Seriously. Almost every freaking person on the TFW side of XBL have this....at lease the cool ones do. >_>)
    Also get XBL. It really opens up your 360 and makes it truely worth its price.
    Make sure to add everyone!! See you in a month.

15. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Got my 360 at the beginning of the year and so far I am very happy I took the plunge. Havint had any problems with mine so hopefully it stays that way. Call of Duty 4 has been by far and away the best buy for it yet so make sure to snag a copy and join clan TFW.

16. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I'm in the cool crowd.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

No doubt it will bring you tons of fun and joy and really, that's what a video game system is all about.

That, and bickering with your fellow TFW goers. Especially Gnaw and Jdre, quite the douchebags.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Don't bother with DOA 4, as far as I know a 2 new DOA games are in development anyway, (Code Chronus and DOA 5, apparently due this year)

Get Virtua Fighter 5 instead. It makes DOA look like a button mashing fighter.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

If you don't have a 360 you hate games.

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

true dat. allthough doa4 is pretty cheap these days.