On ruining a perfectly good toy.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TwoKingMick, Aug 16, 2006.

1. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

This question has come up in the Trailbreaker head thread.

Many, many people are excited about being able to bash Venom, sorry, Nemisis Prime into Trailbreaker. Some people argue that Trailbreaker is bland and NemPri is much cooler, because he's like, an evil Prime and Stuff. Others say that that is exactly the problem with NemPri, a black/cool/evil version of the big good guy is too cliched and boring. At least Trailbreaker was an original character.

Normally people don't seem to be bothered about kitbashing, but the fact that NemPri was rather difficult to come across seems to be stirring up a lot of controversy.

Where do you stand on the issue?

Personally, I much prefare Trailbreaker and I'll definately be bashing the Big Black Cliche as soon as I get my hands on one, regardless of how much NemPri sets me back. Besides, it's my toy, I paid for it, I can do what I want with it.

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Because of Nemesis Primes very limited numbers, I myself find it hard to contemplate Kitbashing it. I never liked Trailbreaker in the original show, so that may be why I don't think it's worth sacrificing Nemesis Prime for the sake of Trailbreaker.

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I've managed, at a cost to me, to procure many Nemesis Primes for my own collection with at least one reserved for the sole purpose of being "kitbashed." I have one that is MISB, another for OOB (Out-Of-Box) display and a third (and even fourth) reserved for customs and kitbashes.

The one I started customizing has a Skids head, fully transformable, and more changes will be made. Photos will be posted once I'm able to complete it, in the appropriate thread/forum.

As for the whole "ruining a perfectly good toy," well, if you bought, do what YOU want to it. It was your money that got it, right? So, what's the big fuss?

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm a firm believer of "it's your money, do what you want..." Personally, I would never kitbash my one and only N.P. into anything... Even if I were to get an extra one, I wouldn't because I already have plans to turn a Swindle or a Rollbar into Trailbreaker, which I think the mold was for in the first place... Just like the whole Dead End/Sunstreaker fiasco...

But in the end, what other people do with their money is their own personal business... If they want to buy multiples to kitbash and they have the cash to do so??? More power to them...

Is it unfair??? Maybe... But since I'm not their personal financial advisor or their mother, I can't control what they spend or don't spend... So why make an issue of it and lose sleep over it...

And to some it may be "ruining a perfectly good toy..." To others, it could mean "expanding creativity..."

5. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    That is exactly how I feel about it all, so why worry. Some of us were "lucky" enough to procure many Nemesis Prime figures and I genuinely feel bad that some memebers didn't get a chance to get him. Before I opened the box, I offered my fourth one to Dark Convoy right as he had gotten him from another board member here. I still may sell my fourth N. Prime, but as an out-of-box item.

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    The way I see it is, if you were "lucky" enough to procure so many, then others should have the same chances of landing some of their own... So regardless of whether or not the unlucky people did or didn't try to get some of their own, people who did end up with them shouldn't be blamed for others shortcomings...

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No way in hell I am even gonna open it when I get it, but this staement summed it all up.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    None of my business what other people do with their toys or money.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Given the assfisted way Hasbro Toy Shop handled this fiasco, I'm not exactly thrilled to hear people buying 2, 3 or four of this mold and hacking it to pieces to fit some 20 year old aesthetic of what should be.

Is it any of my business? Nope. But you make it common knowledge you did this and don't want to help out fellow fans, then I'll make it common knowledge what I think of it.

Sounds fair to me.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    kitbashing nemy prime wars: i'm with with twin twist.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I think it's one thing if people ended up with a whole bunch from the US that they got for $25 or whatever, but if you're like me and you paid about $45 each from singapore where they're clogging the shelves, there's no ethical dilemma.

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't like seeing rare/exclusives used as bash fodder that much, but with this guy it doesn't bother me as much. He was supposed to be only $25 and even at the $50ish he's pulling on ebay that's still not too bad. Now, if it were something rare like jap G1 stuff or Botcon figures, I'd probably die a little inside at the sight of it.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah...Nemesis Prime is really CLOGGING the shelves in my country. I'm so SICK of seeing him...the strange thing is I've no interest him all...ironic, huh?

14. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

Kitbash away. Heck, repaint it into Wheelie or BW2 Moon. Nemesis Prime is a nonentity anyhow, and his figure is no national treasure. This is no ethical dilemma.

15. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

Hey,just a real quick question if you don't mind.

How much is NemPri selling for in Singapore? I'm not too far away in South Korea, so shipping might not be too bad for me.

Thanks a lot,

Mick

Sorry all, that was supposed to be a PM, but i'll add me further thoughts on the debate now.
    You may have figured out from my earlier posts, but I really dislike Nemesis Prime. I think he's a horrible example of Cool Evil Twin syndrome. In fact, I think they should have remolded the head to civel him an evil gotee.
    Does anyone remember the old EarthWorm Jim cartoon series? Jim's evil twin was the only time i've like that concept.

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, honestly if someone wants to pay the money for it and than change it into Trailbreaker, that's there buisness. I, for one, would never do this regardless of the price that I paid for it, because I like Nemesis Prime better than Trailbreaker, but to each his own really.

I can also see where some people would be very irritated with others doing this though, because of the way that Hasbro handled the release of this toy. Still, there are options out there for people to get the figure and too bad if you don't want to pay those prices. A friend (whom has paid way more for his NP off of ebay than he should have... idiot started bidding on an American seller's NP to save on shipping... you can probably guess what happened next) is doing the same with his and he paid alot for it... if he's willing to pay that kind of money for a figure (and he only bought one mind you... just to make into Trailbreaker) than that's his deal. You want one to keep NP... than buy one.

17. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Word.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You buy it, you get to break it. Simple as that.

NOBODY is being denied one, you just have to pay more for it like most people. If somebody wants to buy extras, it isn't stopping anyone else from getting one.

I don't see a dilemma or even an issue here.

19. socko76

socko76 Well-Known Member

This kitbash makes me as sick as people who buy one to keep MISB and one to open (I know that's another topic...).

With so many people looking for this, the fact that you have a few to just take apart astounds me. To me, it's as bad as buying a bunch and selling them on eBay for a high price. Personally, my problem with ebayers was never the fact that they were making a profit, it was the fact that they were doing so at the expense of other fans.

It's like throwing out food in front of a homeless person. It's like disecting a heart when someone in need of a heart transplant is in the same room. It's like raaaaaiin on your wedding day (sorry, I had an Alanis moment there)

My point is that this is, like it or not, a community. That's why this site exists and that's why we have conventions. Knowing how many in this community are dying for it, it just leaves a bad taste when people have purchased one for MISB, one to open, one to kitbash, one for their safe to sell later, one to hold their drink, one to rule them all... (sorry, I had a Clerks II moment... screw Lord of the Rings).

You were fortunate enough to get one: do what you want with it. Just remember, much like a good mark on exam that the rest of the class failed... please don't flaunt it.

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So what's stopping you from getting one?

There are about 30 on ebay right now, so it isn't availability.

The people who have multiples probably paid just as much for each as the people who only bought one, so it isn't price.

You really don't have an excuse not to own one of your own if you really want to, so I don't see why it pisses you off so much when people mod them. Them having multiples isn't hindering you in the least.

I'll admit, I was pissed too when people were saying they would buy multiples off of HTS (because I may not get one cheap), but since that mess fell through, it's open season on these guys now.