On D-Void and infestation.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by vipertaja, Dec 31, 2012.

1. vipertaja

vipertaja Well-Known Member

When they sent Britt back in time into the dead universe to starve her, did they starve her or
    did they (ironically and unintentionally) end up creating the dead universe and D-Void to begin with?

I'm a bit behind on the newer comics and I may have missed something, but I doubt they'd bring it up too much now.

Any thoughts?

(EDIT: It's just something that's been bothering me ever since infestation came out really)

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh, shit, that's great. That'd be super stupid-funny.

3. vipertaja

(Prepare for full scale overthinking lunacy...you have been warned)

It just seems too convenient a coincidence to me, having an undead entity from another universe sent back in time to yet another universe that's since been leaking undeath ("back") into the IDW universe. Differences could be explained away by the collective entity evolving radically in that environment, since I think it evolves through assimilation like some Lovecraftian borg collective.

Granted, transformers seem prone to encounter these types of entities. It's almost as if such things end up forming automatically in the multiverse with some regularity. (Devil Z? Violen Jiger? Elder Gods? Unicron & the dark gods? Maybe Hytherion?)

Reminds me of John Carpenter's Prince of darkness and it's concepts on balance between matter/antimatter and "good"/"evil". Especially ridiculous stuff like alternity with bad guys/monsters "eating/consuming time and reality as fuel" (much like unicron) and whatnot.

EDIT: To clarify I'm not saying all these entities are the same "species" or anything stupidly simplistic like that, just that they share similar tendencies to varying degrees. They seem to play a similar sort of role. To fill a void, to put it ironically.

I have to admit I never quite liked Britt...may have been the character design. She just came across as a fanfic character somehow to me. A bit more Zuul or Lovecraft and she could have been epic, but ended up a little unimpressive (though I admit I only read the transformers portion of infestation). Crossovers in a wild variety of franchises like this tend to end up a bit odd and unnecessary.

I personally like the idea of infestation causing the dead universe though for some reason. Maybe it's because it would give a (probably unintentional) reason for infestation to exist in the first place. The only other reason for it to exist is one most hate but I ended up liking: just to kill Kup.
    (I thought it tied up his story nicely when his bad memories come back with a vengeance and the backdoor protocols get put to use)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you think Mars Attacks is?

5. vipertaja

*Googles*
    Oh dear...
    I did not know about this.
    Does not seem like the best of ideas.
    *crawls back under rock*:confused2 

6. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    You have officially put more thought into this than any of the various parties that were responsible for these story beats and MADE MONEY creating them. I can't decide if that's to your benefit or your detriment.

If I recall properly, Simon Furman initially realized the Dead Universe as a parallel universe to our own, only one in which all life had been consumed and all that remained was The Darkness (possibly the corrupted Matrix of Leadership; but that never got explored before AHM started) and any that ventured into it (Original Ark Crew) were made into some kind of living dead that could no longer sustain themselves for long in the primary universe and we need to return to the DU or they would seize and cease to function.

I guess if you're inclined to, you can envision that Kup, Britt and her zombie thrall ravaged that universe of life, leaving it in the state we've come to know it and eventually died off of starvation.

Honestly? The Dead Universe was a hot mess upon conception and each successive writer mucking about in it only made it worse. I know people would love to see Kup return because he's such a core character and Nick Roche did such a marvelous job ret-conning his poorly researched inclusion in AHM... but if he has to stay dead so that the Dead Universe and all its related malarkey *NEVER* has to be trudged up again? That is a sacrifice I am all too *EAGER* to make.

7. vipertaja

Probably to my detriment. :( 
    I just happen to love all things Lovecraftian and such.
    Truth be told a lot of that stuff above just came to mind as I was writing it.
    I would make a witty joke about the dead universe and me having no life, but we ARE on a transformers fan forum after all...:tongue: 

Something like that yes. The darkness/D-void being the result of or evolved form of the part of the undermind that got sent to the dead universe.

There's always a way to bring back someone in transformers...though I'm not sure what they'd do with him that would be interesting. Just put him back on cigars? Wipe his memory? How would one decontaminate? Truth be told I think his trauma was what made him interesting. Other than that he was a jerk IMO (as I guess wreckers ought to be to some degree). It was kind of a tragic side to him that he's so blissfully confident and "propaganda friendly" due to his reputation, while people around him who know about it hope he doesn't fall apart at the seams. Kup's end is the only reason to even have the story IMO. The only reason to do the zombie infestation IMO is to point back to his spotlight and that I think it did fairly well. (I know it wasn't the reason they did it of course, it was probably an afterthought)

8. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

My thoughts are to repress any and all memory that any of that ever happened and proceed on with my blissful reignorance.

9. vipertaja

I think the question at this point is whether you smoke cigars?

PS: Happy new year everyone! Had to go out on the balcony to watch some fireworks. Too bad it's now 00:18 and everyone seems about spent already...bah. What's the point of people wasting their fireworks stash all throughout the evening if they're all out when it actually "matters"? For the kids? Nonsense. Stay up late for one damn day of the year, is that too much to ask? :mad 

10. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

No but maybe I should start. Might help repress those memories.

Seriously one night a year shouldn't be too disruptive. Guess some people just don't know how to party.

11. redwolfbear

redwolfbear Banned

Facebook:
    having read up on shockwave , regenesis , infestation , dark cybertron and the dead universe related storylines over time.

shockwave reached back in time during the events of the dark cybertron storyline seizing all the life energy from the newly created dead universe at the very moment it was concieved into being in the past time travel wise , thereby resulting in it being stillborn from the start so that it would always be dead in a half life half unlife death state of being right?

then infestation happened resulting in britt and the zombie collective undermind being trans teleported back throuogh time to the beginning of the dead universe, presumably resulitng in the undermind or some surviving remnant of it evolviing into d-void which then results in nova prime being contacted by the dvoid to tempt him into journeying into the dead universe to become its undead servants, nova prime and his crew leaving cybertron resulted in cybetron society going to hell for the cyberronians colelctively speaking over the following millenia resulting in the evnets of megatron origin right?

12. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Britt's avatars all returned to her through the dimensional portal at the end of Infestation. So TF Britt was likely only in the Dead Universe for a short time.

13. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature gottagofast

Holy necromancy, Batman!

14. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

D-Void and the infestation always reminded me of what would happen if Cthulhu or Pennywise was allowed to run rampant in a fiction. Or maybe the Marvel Zombies. Either way, I think D-Void was originally supposed to be IDW's version of Unicron, since IDW has been pretty adamant he will not appear in the sense he has before. Also, I would offer that the Dead Universe is more akin to WarHammer 40K's Warp than anything else. If the Dead Universe is like the Warp, that would make sense as D-Void is the lurking presence from Chaos (like Unicron who was also supposed to be like a Lovecraft elder god), who likewise hates the Creation Matrix.

15. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    it's actually very funny.