On combiners

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rexidus, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Something's been on my mind.

For combiners, most of them have a large "body" figure and 4 limbs. Now the arm bots generally turn into the entire arm (upper arm, elbow, lower arm, and hand). But the leg bots only turn into the lower legs and feet. It seems to me that is the reason the body has to be a larger sized bot; it has to also contribute the upper legs.

So why don't the leg bots also form the upper legs? Wouldn't that allow 5 bots of roughly the same size? It would also allow the leg bots to have a more interesting combined mode than vehicle mode sandwiched between foot and thigh.

Just something I've thought about.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's how FOC Bruticus is in-game at least.

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

legs are generally longer than arms. It would make it all out of proportion.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    proportions or rather super hero proportions legs tend to be bigger/longer.

Also from an engineering stand point I cant see it being easy to design a hip area that has to have both waist articulation and being able to take the force of some one attaching a leg even if the hip joint were on the leg bot the joint to the torso would need to have some sort of clamp function to stop it from going floppy over time

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm all for Hasbro abandoning the scramble city style for combiners and doing more combiners like G1 Devastator, where each figure is a specific limb. It's always seemed to me that the scramble city style really limits the individual figures, whereas if a figure could only make an arm or only make a leg, the individual figures would benefit from that.

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    agree'd Rail Racer also a non scramble type IMO is still the unbeaten champ of Hasbro/Tak transformer combiners

7. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    I say we just get more combiners like Tripredacus. He's got great, in proportion, highly-articulated legs. His arms may be a bit long and gangly, but I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for anyways.

8. Avengers

Avengers Banned

This wouldn't work. Because the upper legs on the leg combiner team members. Would need to have extra universal joints to properly attach to the waist pelvic section of the Gestalt.

9. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

It would be nice if they broke the mold sometimes and gave us more lke the beastwars combiners.

10. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I like your thinking. Non-uniform combiners have always interested me. Rail Racer is an awesome combiner set with Build King not too bad also.

Tripredacus also is one of those tri-combiners that works nicely.

11. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

its quite simple. scramble city style just doesn't work well. I also think 5 bots is a bad number to use except outside of Predaking but he's not SC. combiners that have 2,(omega Prime)3(railracer),4(Landfill),and 6(Liokaiser) do well and look nice

12. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

You know, you have a point. I now think all the combiners should have two guys for the torso, that way everyone can be the same size and look good!

13. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    And I'll form the head!

In all seriousness, I don't really care how many figures it takes to form a combiner, 2 or 20, I just want it to look good and be in proportion.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Distribution of mass, creating stability.

You often see the legs parts are more compact to provide the foundation for the overall combiner. Doing that allows the rest of the figures to supply their parts and be free to be stretched out and such.

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's a combination of wanting humanoid proportions (your pectoral girdle is much wider and more loosely connected than your pelvic girdle) and, within that design framework, maximizing stability and articulation.

16. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Count me out on This. I think Five man combiners teams is the best route to go. The Core leader gets a size higher toy. the other Four bots get a size lower toy.

17. Tarrn

Tarrn Bikeformer Fanboy

It depends whether you're aiming for human-like proportions, really. The lower legs and feet probably have the same mass as the arms in an average human, so it follows that a combiner would follow similar rules. And if you look at G1 and FansProject Bruticus, for example, the reason their arms are better proportioned than that of FOC Bruticus is because a fair chunk of that mass go into big shoulder pieces that don't have an analogue on the human body. As long as the torso/thighs is either a larger figure or two figures, I don't see a major problem with the arms and lower legs being the same size.

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You would just move a size problem from one place to two. The legs would have to be bigger bots/vehicles to encompass a thigh that would work.

5 bots works as do 6 as does any number. Look at non tf combiners. Voltron (Go Lion!) had 5 but then look at Vehicle Voltron (Dairugger) with 15. While 6 seems cool I can't help but wonder what the groin section has to be thinking ...

19. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I do think combiners work best with 6 members. Devestator always has great figures all the same size.

20. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree when they're all similar vehicles but look at menasor. Cars are smaller then semis. It has to be 5 (trailer is too much as well). Bruticus , on the other hand, needs a sixth member because I've never seen a jeep the same size as a tank or a space shuttle the same size as a helicopter.