On Black Zarak

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Elrodthealbino, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Elrodthealbino

Elrodthealbino Nerd Alert!

I have received quite a few private requests to reproduce Black Zarak parts mainly on the other board, but I suspect some were from here so I hope I can still be of help. I thought I would forward on my most recent correspondance in an effort to aid both BZ owners and more importantly , those looking to own one (myself included).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Customer) Any Chance you'll repo Black Zarak's Gold Feet gaurds?, maybe you can point me in the right direction on how to do something like this.

(Myself) Can't match the plastic. We've looked into it. Sorry.

(Customer) Man that sucks, you think I could paint one of Scorps?
    Worth a try I guess.
    Its a small crack so can you recommend a glue so it dont crack more or destroy the plastic??

(Myself) It's the swirling gradient you can't match, not the colour. If you were to paint it, you would have to paint both.

I have three suggestions, as a collector of rare foreign G1 shit myself...

1 (The Purist) ---- Spend an assload of money on a new and unbroken one, knowing full well, you might have to buy another complete one and sell off the rest, possibly at a loss.

2 (The Pragmatist) ---- Super glue it. That particular plastic is porous enough to take the glue, but this particular gold plastic is actually two plastics, a gold and a black, that don't mix properly. This is what causes the swirling gradients. Everyone of those swirls is a place where the black and the gold do not mix, and hence everyone of these swirls is a potential (and painfully likely) fracture point where the toy is ALREADY broken and just doesn't know it yet. When you glue it, it is quite probable that it will break again just a little farther up. Rinse and repeat.

3 (The Realist) ---- There is no real way to own this toy completely unbroken. Even most MISB one's are broken on the inside. This toy, due to a mixing error is always broken, like a perforation if you will, but just hasn't torn yet. It's not your fault, it's Takara's. Live with your broken toy. Display it proudly. Have fun playing with your very sturdy Scorponok.

Hope I helped.

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Good to know if I ever really do drop a grand on a boxed, complete one and find something busted. That gold plastic is always so damn brittle. Still a great looking figure.

3. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Even if I had the money, I'd never be able to find one.

4. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

want one

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mine is complete but I know how frail the gold plastic is. The shield piece that attaches to the claw broke years ago, I was lucky the the broken off piece was a "clean break" and super glue took care of it. BZ is in robot mode and he's going to stay that way. I learned from the Metrodome Masterforce commentary just how rare a complete Black Zarak is. I was very lucky to be able to get one within a year of it's release.

6. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yup, I asked you that question, I'm gonna just leave it alone.

Or, get Scorps peices and replace all the Black Zarak Gold peices but dip them in 14k gold...that would be nice. Naaaa.

7. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At Botcon 2004 (I think) I saw a guy buy a sealed Zarak

He broke the seal, took the toy out and the first time he moved the tail, half the gold on the toy shattered

Harsh

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a pity the repro parts couldn't just be done in a flat gold. I think people would be happy to compromise accuracy for durability.

That said, I'll never get Black Zarak, I'll just be happy with Scorponok and Double Punch.

I'm getting images of the Draven / MP Starscream reaction (which I never saw in person, just heard of afterwards)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  9. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    If you paid over $1000 for a toy, you should do your homework before buying one. It's common knowledge that is has the GPS really bad. Just accept the fact that it's broken and move on. Or just leave it in the box and don't ever touch it or move it like me. :lol 

10. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Am I the only person who transforms his Black Zarak from time to time? Sure it's imposing, knowing that you could break a $500 figure at any second. Yet whats the point of owning it if Im not going to use it? That's one of the reasons I let my nephews play with Brave Maximus and my Micromasters. I dont see the point of having something that wont get used.

If I had a MISB BZ, I would leave him MISB. But like 'spot said; The gold plastic is already broken; you just dont know it. My Fastrack Gold is a prime example of this. When I first picked him up, TOM said "Be careful, he breaks easily." No sooner does TOM hand him to me and his feet fall off. Bummer.

~Z

"Im about to take some pictures of him and Metrotitan for the Gallery. You dont see pics of his base mode too often."

11. cutback4197

cutback4197 all roads lead to shame

Ebay:
    Mine has been transformed once. I broke the shield and later on I figured out there was a crack in the foot. Then the shield got knocked off accidently and broke the piece holding it on his forearm. I used sculpy and superglue and it's solid now. I will never transform him again.

12. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    I have one since today. Transformed it, nothing happened. Still fine and unbroken. Offcourse i took extra care when i transformed it, knowing from Scorponoc some actions are a little ruf and need to be done with care

After that i Transformed him back and put him back in his home. When i move in the future i'll take him out and give him a proper display. Till then, he's grounded :D 

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    When I first saw what happens to Black Zarak at the end of Masterforce, I thought the battle was inspired by whay happens to the toy. :lol 

14. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm still hoping TakaraTomy reissues Black Zarak, and fix the breakage problems that plague the originals. I think that would be a nice solution. :D 

15. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    I transformed mine a couple of time before I set him permanently into his box. It's more of a display toy than a play toy imo. It's exactly like Scorponok but with 10X better colors. But I still think the transformation is lame for that figure. And the base mode is weak. So I either display him in robot mode or just leave him in the box. Again, you can't beat him with that giant red spear.

Maybe Elrod can elaborate on the GPS. He once explained to me exactly where the breaking points are on the gold plastics. He said something about the "swirls". I'll let him chime in on this. :D 

16. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Black Zarak!

Home now. Thought Black Zarak fans and readers of this thread might appreciate this. I cleaned Black Zarak up (mostly) for this shot:

[​IMG]

17. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    ^^ Wow, that's one dusty collection. You sure you want all that dust on all your toys?

18. Backscatter

News Credits:

I know, it's due for a cleaning but I'd have to take a couple of weeks off. :lol 

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    One thing I've never asked: Is his head a mask that fits over the same headmaster mold as Scorponok? Is it completely removable or does it tilt back like Scorponok's?

20. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I transform my zarak all the time and have 0 issues with GPS. My other zarak was the same way when i moved i just wraped him in a few tshirts and put him in a giant box with all my other non mib tfs and he didnt have any issues after two moves.