On a mission

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mako Crab, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This last June 29th I got Super Castlevania 4 for my b-day. Until this week it's just been sitting there despite the fact that I really wanted it. Well last week I decided to fire it up and cut a path through the undead hordes of Dracula's army. Last Saturday (Sept 11) I beat the game and it felt great! Tough game, but not so tough that I wanted to rip my hair out.

Now that I've finished that game off, it's got me on a kick. I feel like going through all the other games in my collection that I haven't finished. Here's what I'm looking at:

Playstation:
    Chrono Cross (haven't even started)
    Final Fantasy 9 (halfway through when I stopped)

PS2:
    Devil May Cry
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Test Drive (half way through story mode)
    Tokobots Plus (just started, but the camera was pissing me off)
    Viewtiful Joe 2 (haven't even touched)
    Phantasy Star 2 on the Sega Genesis Collection (pretty far into it when I got distracted)

Nintendo DS:
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Zelda: Spirit Tracks (haven't touched either of these Zelda games)

SNES:
    Mario Allstars: The Lost Levels (I remember this one being ridiculously difficult. Still, watching someone do it on youtube would probably help clear it in one afternoon)

Not sure where to start, but I'll keep this thread updated as I go through.

2. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Mario Allstars: The Lost Levels is beaten as of this moment! I remembered that game for being sadistically hard, and it got worse with each level. Levels 7-3 all the way through to 8-4 were pure pain. Thank god they included the option to continue, or I would've murdered the cartridge. This is literally the penultimate example of a game where you get a few inches further in the level each time. I heard the "lose a life" tune so much, that it's stuck in my head now. I now know how the guy playing the "Super Kaizo World" game on youtube felt. Still, it's a really good feeling that I beat this monster of a game without the use of strategy guides or watching someone on youtube do it. This is the most brutal platformer game I've ever played, and I beat it all on my own with no help. Feels good :) 

Not sure which one I'll tackle next. Maybe something that doesn't involve platforming.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If you play the Zeldas, do Phantom Hourglass first. Spirit Tracks is a very loose sequel to it, no story connection but the first guy you meet is a much older version of a character from Phantom Hourglass. No real spoiler since it's never brought up in game, just an easter egg.

Final Fantasy IX - awesome game, my favourite of the series on the PS1. Go for it :) 
    Chrono Trigger - has horrible load times on the PS1 release which for me ruined the experience. I'd suggest looking up the recent DS release instead, has all the extra content plus some more extras besides and a new ending not in any other version.

4. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips, especially about Chrono Cross. I was always interested in Chrono Trigger on the SNES, but never got to play it. The PS1 version, I don't know. I got it for dirt cheap. I wasn't really looking for it at the time, but when I saw it going for like $5 I jumped on it. I've had it for years and never played it.

Final Fantasy 9 I was really working on and grinding and maxing out my crew, when I lost my memory card. Didn't feel like going through all that again, but then much later I found the card again. I really should fire that one up. I think I was more than halfway through. On disc 3 at least. Really need to fire that one up again.

The Zeldas will probably come near the end of my list since I haven't even touched them. But I'll be sure to start with Hourglass.

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I first played Chrono Trigger on the PS1, and it was a great game.

However, i'd say DMC 1 out of all the games. It might not amaze you like it did everyone back then, but it's still a damn fine game. A lot shorter than all the RPGs too.

6. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yeah, that is the thing with the rpgs. I'd have to sink a lot of hours into them. I think that's why I'm so bad about finishing them anyway. But DMC really is a lot of fun. I just suck at doing any kind of combos. :p 

*EDIT*

So I've decided to go with Final Fantasy 9 next. Just one problem; my old save file is gone. The only other save file I have is from way back in disc 1. I don't care. I'm using that as my jumping on point. I'm not restarting the entire game! I just recruited Quina to my party and got through Gizamaluke's Grotto. Almost at the end of disc 1. And my old save file that I lost was only midway through disc 2, so it's not like I'm having to go back that far. It'll work out. Just gotta' get back into the groove of things.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Would do Phantom Hourglass. It's fun. Spirit tracks was a bit annoying, but
    the experience was pretty genuine.

FF9 ,depends how complete your game is so far. Thought there were a few characters that were pretty hard to get. Been awhile. Went the strat guide route on mine , really liked that game. Listened to too much Radiohead when I played it though, they remind me of each other. lol
    Epic story though.

Chrono Trigger is timeless, you can save that for last and it would'nt matter

Phantasy Star 2 was awesome. imo Thought it was cool how some character's weapons could 'slash-all'. The dungeons seemed to take forever though.

8. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Your thread's got me thinking about how I still haven't finished Shadow of the Colossus. I could never beat that last boss... :( 

9. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Oh, I'm totally using the strategy guide on FF9. That thing is holding my hand the entire way through. :p  Cut me some slack, I beat the Lost Levels without any help! lol

PS2 is just awesome. Not quite as awesome as PS4, which has more cut-scenes (yay!) but still pretty awesome. Thankfully I still have the walkthrough booklet that came with the Genesis copy, so the dungeons aren't taking me as long. Good thing too. Even with the guide, some of those dungeons are just gigantic, evil mazes.

I have a bunch of credit at Gamestop right now and I almost bought Colossus with it the other day. Wasn't too sure though. It looks cool and sounded cool, but I was never into Ico and I kind of am wary about games that everyone says are artsy. How is it really?

10. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Just beat Final Fantasy 9 and I did it without auto-reflect or shock!!! Half my team was dead and the other half was suffering all kinds of status ailments. I didn't think I was going to survive when suddenly the boss started crumbling. Hehehe. Epic game. Epic ending. Love it.

I've had this game for 10 years and only just now beat it. Feels good to finally finish it. :D  So then, what next? What's on the list?

11. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Ahhh, gotta love ya some classic gaming. Been on a kick for it lately as well after all the damned shooters I've been on.

FF9, I might have to d/l that on my psp, was a good game if I remember right. In your list though go for Chrono, was a blast back when and plan on getting the DS soon.

12. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I did type Chrono Trigger didn't I? *edit*
    There we go. I meant to say Chrono Cross. So how's Cross stack up? A worthy sequel?

I think after all that grinding and leveling, I'm going to switch up to something a little faster paced. Maybe Devil May Cry or Test Drive. Either of those games I could probably finish over one weekend. And in the meantime I've added 4 new games to my collection:

Spy Fiction (PS2)
    Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (PS2)
    Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
    Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (DS)

Argh! I got to get through the old games first before I start on the new stuff! Although, I gotta' say that Castlevania is great. So far it's living up to the hype of it being a more difficult entry in the series, and I really like the varied combat. Very fun. :) 

13. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

yeah, DMC or Maximo will be a bit more faster paced for ya. I found both enjoyable back then.

As for Chrono Cross I feel it was a worthy sequel of sorts. I likes the mechanic it used and the graphics then were great. You'll enjoy it.

14. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot to update this thread. Well, let's see, in the meantime I've beaten DMC, Test Drive, and last night I just finished off Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Here's my quick little reviews of each.

Beat Devil May Cry on Nov. 2, 2010
    . I was playing on Easy, but I don't care! It still counts.

Beat Test Drive on Nov. 9, 2010.

Fun game! I kind of hit a lot of things and crash a lot in racing games, but Test Drive is really forgiving for players like me. It seems like the other racers will actually slow down and allow you to catch up, which really cuts down on the frustration level. There were some times when I would have just restarted the race halfway through if it were another racing game. But here I knew that there was always a chance. I like that the game came programmed with a sense of sportsmanship. emoticon

Those last 8 tracks were rough though. Yeah, I was able to catch up to the lead car most every time, but hell if he was cutting me any slack once I could see him in the distance. It's great fun losing by .005 of a second. Lol! There were some times when I was going so fast through the city, that I didn't know how I wasn't wrecking. I kept thinking, stay on the road, stay on the road!! Don't hit that palm tree!

The only thing that gets me are the long load times. Other than that, this is a really fun racing game. OH! There was one last thing I have to mention. This is one time where I actually think the so-called "bad guy" was in the right. Here's how the story goes:

Clark is a street racer. A rival racer named Vacily wrecks him and he winds up in a wheelchair. Clark hires Dennis Black to race for him while he's on the mend.

He pays Dennis very well for each race he wins, with the understanding that all prizes go to Clark. Dennis agrees to this.

About 40 races later Dennis wins the entire thing, even beating Clark's old rival, Vacily, and collecting Vacily's car in the process.

Clark: "Excellent work, Dennis! Smashing job! Come by the garage so you can collect your HUGE PAYCHECK and drop off the car."

Clark is extremely happy about this and wants to take Vacily's car out for a spin right away. Uh oh! What's this? Clark can drive? He's not in a wheelchair anymore?

Dennis gets pissed and demands to know how long Clark's been well. Clark tells him, "Since Monte Carlo, but you were doing so well. Why ruin a good thing?"

It should be noted that Monte Carlo was the last city you race in.

Dennis gets really mad for some reason and feels as though Clark stabbed him in the back. He threatens to come get Clark unless they race one-on-one for everything.

And this is where I think Dennis is just being a primadonna. He was cool with being a paid racer before, but not now? It's not like Clark wasn't paying him huge sums of money. Seemed to me that Clark was pretty upfront about the whole deal. So anyway, that's that. Dennis Black = Whiner.

Beat The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass last night, Jan 16, 2010.
    Fun little game, but aside from some tricky puzzles, there's almost zero challenge here. Still, good for a little fun, though I think I need to try something different before tackling the sequel, Spirit Tracks.

Up next. . . maybe Viewtiful Joe 2?