Omnigonix V-01 Spinout - MP Scaled Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 19, 2014.

1. bad andy

bad andy Well-Known Member

I cut the tabs away on his giraffe neck so his head would be able to sit lower. I think it helps.

2. eel_dahc

eel_dahc Member

I'm thinking of whittling away at the joint so that there is more motion. Cut an angle into the outer rounded area of the joint. I'm sure others have already done it but I couldn't find any pics of it.

Anyone else missing a wheel?

3. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

He's not better from a QC standpoint, but he's vastly better from a looks standpoint, IMO.

I bought a second spinout a few weeks back to try some new mods on, but I haven't had time lately.

• Like Like x 2
  4. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    I actually carved a little bit of material out of the back of the head. Worked great.

5. dbae14

dbae14 Special Ops

My idea, if I ever pick one up cheap enough to cut up, is to move the neck connector from high on the silver intake area to lower where the main pin is. This would require making the neck joint connector single tab as opposed to the dual tab it currently has, and require carving the center out of where the intakes attach via the long pin. Then cut the original neck connector off the intakes to give the head more room to sit farther back (like, in the collar) and move more freely.

6. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    Would that still allow for transformation?

7. dbae14

dbae14 Special Ops

Probably, but won't know til i get to cutting, if I ever do. if it causes a transformation problem because the neck isn't long enough, I'd just add another link in the neck chain.

8. eel_dahc

eel_dahc Member

I didn't really go back and read earlier parts of this thread until now. I didn't know that the designer was a participant. Don't know about you but I think that's admirable. I'd like to know what he was referring to when he said that the neck could be fixed by popping out pins and using a blade. I wish his ideas could be put into an image for us to see.

I've also noticed that some pics of Spinny that I see online are transformed wrong with the two flaps behind the blower being pushed inside the body instead of up against the spoiler. I did that myself at first.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Finally got around to modifying my second copy, tightening joints, marto labels, Marcin's collar/neck parts, and making a head that looks more like one of the protos we ended up not getting. I LOVE this head now. It's practically perfect, much better than the elf ears, IMO.

DSC06116_resize.JPG DSC06118_resize.JPG DSC06119_resize.JPG DSC06121_resize.JPG DSC06127_resize.JPG DSC06126_resize.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  10. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    Those "ears" do look a lot better. I like the labels too, but I prefer the cleaner look of the crotch and thighs w/o decals.

11. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm torn on the thigh/crotch stickers. I put them on because why not, and I wanted to see the difference side by side. They're a little busy, but they break up a lot of yellow. I like the shin stickers though, and I might put the rest of them on... although I admit I wasn't 100% sure where they all went. This is definitely my experimental figure.

But I love the head-mod, despite my poor painting skills. Sunstreaker should always have wide, angular ears. Elf ears are for Mr Spock and Tolkien books. The TT version should have more face/ear options, as the strange toony head on that thing is hideous IMO.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  12. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    Yeah, I like all the other decals aside from the ones I mentioned. Though I think I might like the ones on the crotch flaps if the other crotch and thigh decals were not present.

13. smkheidze

smkheidze GEEEEE-WUNNER MOFO!

So I just got me a copy of ole spinny. I think he looks great but yes, he suffers from all the well documented ailments. So that being the case, I was wondering if the shapewyas torso fix was worth the money. I have read through about as much of this thread as I could take and saw that it has issues with tolorances (screw holes are too big). Has that been fixed or is it still problematic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. Omnigonix

Omnigonix Designobot & Craftercon

News Credits:
    Which screw holes would that be?

15. x01618

x01618 Autobot

Ebay:
    The screw holes that attach the replacement chest lock to the back piece.

I printed the Shapeways kit off in WSF polished about 6 months ago, and I had the aforementioned fitment issues. I can't speak to the other possible materials, but they A) would be substantially more expensive to print, and B) the way those screw holes are, I can't see how any material would have resolved the loose-screw problem.

My first recommendation is, if you're at all comfortable customizing your figure, to do the manual fixes recommended in various posts above. I didn't like how the Shapeways was holding together, so that's what I ended up doing, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I was able to fix the chest lock, shoulder articulation, thigh swivel, and most of the super loose joints. I have since done some tweaking to my Shapeways parts as an experiment and adjusted various tolerances with clear nail polish and 3D print smoother. It should work better than a direct-from-Shapeways print, and I can sell it to you at a discount since I don't need it. If you're interested, just PM me.

16. Omnigonix

News Credits:
    If you mean the sideways holes that attach to the left and right hinges that then connect to the torso proper, these should be a loose.

If you mean the rearward facing holes that are in the small of his back, these should not be loose and if they are, a little nail polish in the holes and let them dry, easy fix.

17. x01618

x01618 Autobot

Ebay:
    Yes, the rearward facing holes are the ones I was referring to, as they are intended to receive screws, but are too loose to do so (at least for the screws that came with the figure). I tried the nail polish trick, but I found that the dried polish wasn't sturdy enough to hold the screw. At least for me, maybe others had more success with this.

18. Omnigonix

News Credits:
    Odd, the pieces I ordered initially fit perfectly.

Sorry to hear that.

19. bigsteve03

bigsteve03 Well-Known Member

20. jblancha2003

jblancha2003 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I got those for my Spinout but never actually got around to installing them. Still trying to decide if I want to get the shoulder fix off Shapeways. With the official Sunstreaker coming out, I'm not sure if I will.