Omnigonix V-01 Spinout - MP Scaled Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well stated. I'm glad you posted this as I have been trying to hold back so badly. I've had personal experiences with individuals trying to pull something similar (though not in this exact theme), and it is a a personal issue for me. There is considerable amount of time in research and development in any product. To expect someone involved in part or in all of that process for nothing is just arrogant. Even not counting that, it isn't the designers to give anyway as the files belong to the company, or whatever is left of Omnigonix. It isn't about being a "White Knight" as another member called it, it's about calling it like it is. And you nailed it. Thank you.

Anyway, back on topic...

I ordered me a Spinout and am looking forward to it. The only thing I'm worried about is what sort of issues the one I'll get have? Hopefully nothing major. It is the ONLY design that is closest to the G1 toy look. As much as I really like the Takara MP-39 (and I did preorder 2 of those), they let me down a bit by doing the faux chest thing. Not because it was their only choice, but because they INTENDED it to be that way. Anyway, Spinout at least has that going for him, and I'm sure I'll be happy to have him. Nothing is ever perfect anyway. Doesn't have to be. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. GAUGE

GAUGE Tin Foil Hats = Alternative Facts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    12528897.jpg :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigsteve03

bigsteve03 Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd long for the days when it was just BC trolls stinking up the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fleebnork

Fleebnork Well-Known Member

Hokay, so moving right along. I picked up my Spinout from XOC 2008. He had already done the Shapeways chest fix and the original shoulder surgery, as well as notched the backs of the thighs.

This must be one of the better copies, because aside from the hips being a little loose, everything seems pretty good.

Anyway, QC quibbles aside, this is the only Sunstreaker that pays more homage to the G1 toy than the cartoon, and I love how the rear end cleans up on the back of bot mode.

On to some photos I took today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  5. Sportimus

News Credits:
    Great pictures! But who is XOC 2008? Is this an eBay seller?

6. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Fleebnork

Fleebnork Well-Known Member

No. Just one of our own from right here on TFW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. XOC2008

XOC2008 Wait! I still function!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That would be me. I need to sell some stuff, @Fleebnork made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :) 

10. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

What is this "notch the thighs" bit about?

11. Sportimus

News Credits:
    Ah, I see. Cool. :) 

Looks like you did a great job on it. I don't know what the shoulder fix does, but otherwise, looks great!

12. XOC2008

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It returns the joint to the shoulder that was there initially. The shoulder should be able to move at the ball socket and inside the shoulder itself, but the factory changed the position of one side of the mold and rendered that function inoperable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. XOC2008

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The back of the thighs are notched slightly at the top so they can come closer together instead of standard wide-A stance.

14. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Great! All it needs now is some Martolabels love. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  15. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    IMG_0020.jpg IMG_0024.jpg IMG_0023.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here and have a lengthy argument. As I said, I had bowed out earlier. I only responded to accusations of being entitled.

Obviously you completely missed my point. Omni himself said he didn't put any markup at all on these parts. So all the arguments about his time being worth money are irrelevant since he's not taking any money for the parts. His only objection has been worry of someone selling the parts for money. The exact thing shapeways is doing. As someone who has designed and produced 3rd party toys, I can assure you that the costs to produce these parts would far outweigh any money that could be earned selling them. If I wanted to throw away $10,000, there are many more ways I can imagine doing so. I'm NOT still trying to get him to send me the files. I'm only asking him why he'll let Shapeways sell the design, but won't let actual owners of his product print it themselves? His excuse doesn't make sense because shapeways is doing the very thing he says he's worried about. The only way any of it makes any sense is if is lying and actually DOES have markup on it. All he had to do was say that it's an upgrade kit and he's making some money off the sales. Then no one would try to print their own.

I like how you put "if you really do have a 3D printer" as though I'm making it up. :lol  What in the heck would I want with the CAD file for a single part if I had no way to use it? :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. XOC2008

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Because he doesn't want to? Because he doesn't HAVE to? He's already got it on Shapeways and it's selling there so whether or not he's making any profit he's not obligated to do anything else. He wasn't obligated to provide the fixes at all, but he did, because he wanted the figure to be closer to what he created instead of what was produced. He doesn't HAVE to do anything else. This wasn't 'after sales service'. This was a guy who saw his design get screwed over and wanted to try and make it right.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

I didn't want to wade into this mess but hey, YOLO.

Insane Galvatron already said that it was about the way that Omnigonix replied. And the other point he's making is why "any normal guy with a 3D printer" can't be a substitute for "Shapeways", especially if the intent is to provide buyers with a fix, and if Omnigonix isn't making money (or presumably otherwise benefiting) off the Shapeways model.

None of these points have to do with obligation on Omnigonix's part.

I think that everyone can take what view they will on this matter but at least try not to talk past one another in airing those views.

Ok, back on track, this is turning out to be another UT Warlord experience for me ... now I'll have to go through everything to compile a list of fixes and improvements! So far I've got "obtain Martolabels, notch the hips, obtain a Shapeways chest lock or shave the chest bits down".

Then there's this "shoulder fix" that you mentioned that sounds good but I'm not sure how to actually do it. Can you elaborate a little?

Whew!

• Like Like x 2
  19. DesertDog

DesertDog The dust is every where

In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Agreed, Martolabels make all the difference. They're the only thing I've added to my Spinout in fact. Worth every penny. [​IMG]

As much as I'm looking forward to Sunstreaker, Spinout will keep his place due to his resemblance to the handsome fellow on his right.

• Like Like x 2
  20. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Should have / Could have / Would have.... I'm sure both sides have something to be sorry about. Even the community...

If I were a designer and I had designed parts, I think would rather not share the actual files with anybody. It's safer for me to put it up on Shapeways, because I know they won't share it. They are in the business of production.

Can we move on now or is there nothing else to talk about?

• Like Like x 9