Omnibus vs Absolute

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Boggs6ft7, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone bought any of the Marvel Omnibus editions?

I was curious how they measured up againts the DC Absolute editions. I have a few Absolute editions and really enjoy them.

2. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the X-men (Claremont) Omnibus and all the Absolutes except New Frontier.
    The only thing I don't like about the Omnibus is that they have too much in one binding. I wish it was split up.

Some Absolutes have the same problem, I wish the Dark Knight Returns/Strikes Again was 2 different booked instead of 1 huge one. Crisis was split which was cool. Same with JLA/Avengers (not an official Absolute but same size).

I need Claremont's Vol. 2

3. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

I'd be more worried about the Ominbus line since Marvel now glue-binds their Masterworks books, and I don't know if they do that with the Omnibus books too. Paperbacks and cheap book club editions are glue-bound to their center spine of the inside cover because they are meant to be cheap and/or disposable. With nearly a thousand pages I can't expect glue-binding to hold up.

Real hardcover books are printed in sections of 32 or so pages, then each section is sewn onto a seperate spinal piece. Then the end pages are glued to the entire inside of the front & back cover board with a long sheet of paper that covers the inside of the book. This is usually more rigid than the inner pages stock material. This gives the pages the stability of the entire surface of the front & back cover for support, as well as the ability to fully open the pages, because the center spine is soft enough to bend without coming apart.

That's why you see old paperback books fall apart much more often than you will see an old hardbound edition.

So far they haven't printed an Omnibus that I didn't already own in some other form or didn't care about (Alias), but eventually I suspect that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try one out.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Dark Horse's Buffy Omnibus is about to hit soon and am seriously considering picking it up. I don't know how a Dark Horse Omnibus compares to a Marvel Omnibus, but hopefully they've addressed that glue issue the Marvel Omnibuses (Omnibi?) suffers from.

5. Superman_Alpha

the DH Ominibus books are paperbacks

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Oh good. Should be cheaper then.

7. Superman_Alpha

$25 cover price for about 300 pages. The Marvel Omnibus books are $100 for around 1,000 pages. DC's Absolute volumes range from $50 to $100 depending on page count & the extra work involved.