Ominous thoughts about online toy stores

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DLE1124, Sep 4, 2009.

1. DLE1124

DLE1124 Member

Dear forum,

Two beloved and well respected online toy stores have been having great sales. I have picked up a bunch of loot this weekend as a result and am very happy with both stores but I wonder if these constant sales could be a sign of bad things to come such as bankruptcy and closure. I hope this isn't true but could these great deals be a sign? Many businesses are closing around me so I have to wonder. If these stores were to close, it would not be good for the toy collecting community. Anyone else have similar thoughts? If I am off base and wrong, please correct me.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
    Dave

2. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Well I heard toyrocket went into bankruptcy. Which ones did you buy from?

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the big ones? i doubt they are in much fear of bankruptcy. but the little lesser known ones, maybe

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hard times flush the chumps.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

BBTS has an annual September clearance sale.

6. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BBTS has more than an annual Sept. sale, they have big dump sales throughout the year and have for many years now. In their case I wouldn't read it as a bad sign, just that they deal with massive quantities and they never know for sure what will sell and what wont.

7. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I bet BBTS is refocusing as well.

Right before the recession hit full force, they were buying any and everything as well as expanding the scope of what items they carried. They went from collector's toy store to general merchandise store almost over night.

That kind of expansion has to eventually contract back to reasonable levels. You can't sell merchandise that is available in large quantities in TRU, WalMart, et al for twice the price or more before it bites you in the ass.

I love BBTS, they're my one stop online shop, so don't get me wrong. But at some point they decided to carry Shrek and Littlest Pet Shop toys...

Just sayin'...

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

No, don't worry about BBTS. The fact that they're an online store sets them up better than say WalMart, Target, or Toys R Us.

The biggest drain of profit for any store is the people those stores have to pay. WalMart employs a ridiculous number of people, as does Target and Toys R Us, nationwide. BBTS has one staffed warehouse and some IT people.

Don't worry about BBTS. Sadly, it'll outlive Toys R Us. It's a pretty safe bet that TRU isn't going to last another 5 years.

9. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Yea right.

Wal-Mart made a concerted effort to put ToysRus out of business in the early 2000s. (consider how big the boys toys aisles were in WalMart around the time Armada was on the shelf, just for reference. They were pretty much double the space for the same merchandise as when RiD was on the shelf, for reference

ToysRus altered their business model, changed their merchandise output, wethered the storm, and came back stronger than before.

TRU went to bat with WalMart and walked out of the game uninjured. They aren't going anywhere for a long while.

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All the items BBTS has on sale are older items. The ROTF toys are on sale for the same price that Target and TRU put them at when the movie 1st came out. I've actually been waiting for four months for BBTS to clearance some of those items.

TRU should be fine. Toys are high margin items anyways so the recession hurts them but shouldn't kill them. My TRU's are still packed on the weekends and we haven't even hit the holiday season yet. And don't forget about Babies R Us. During recession people have babies (cause there's nothing else to do) which is just money in the bank for BRU.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't say TRU walked away without a scratch.
    But TRU could honestly say about Walmart- "They damn well knew they had been in a fight."

We have had some tragic los ses in the online toy seller community. I am still slack jawed about Ages3andUp because that hit me like i had just been told Lennon had been shot.

but for the most part, the fly-by-nighters are the ones that fall by the wayside and we don't even care.
    BBTS, TFSource, RobotKingdom who have the best damn service aren't going anywhere.