Heavy/Scratch: Omi-project WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by spoonman, Oct 21, 2011.

1. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

So this is something I have been wanting to do for some time but was always on the fence about which cars to use. Since the originals Were a Toyata Supra, an RX-7 and a Ferrari BB Diablo I figured keeping them as close as possible would be a sweet little effort. Now they are a Celica (which is what the Supra evolved into) an RX-8 and a Ferrari F430 Scuderia. I found 3 die cast pull-back toys that are 1:32nd scale which fit perfectly in the Classics line. 2 part squish molds are being poured of the shells so that I don't have to cut die cast metal. They will be entirely scratchbuilt and I'm hoping to retain their "3rd" battle modes.

Attached Files:

2. autobotlongarm

autobotlongarm woop a doop a la pen da en soi

Cool.

3. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    OMG....

4. NexMortuus

NexMortuus Well-Known Member

:drool: oh wow if you pull this of you sir will be a customizing god.:bowdown: 

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is very exciting.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Anybody else, I would call crazy for undertaking this project... but it's you, so I know the results will be amazing. :D 

zmog

7. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

there is no spoon. only this man.

can't wait to see this.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

A little bit of nitpickery, but the Supra didn't exactly evolve into the Celica. Originally, the Supra was a class of Celica, literally called the Celica-Supra. Kind of like a Honda Civic SI compared to a DX or so. Then the Supra became it's own model and was later discontinued in the late 90's. The Celica went on, though as less of a sportscar, for a couple of Generations until it also was discontinued in 2005.

Tough to say what a modern equivalent would be to the Supra though, since Toyota doesn't make any cars in that class anymore. I guess technically going with a Mark IV Supra is still an upgrade over Downshift's model, and is still the most modern version.

9. WheeljackRules

WheeljackRules Well-Known Member

Right on man, I'll bet this is going to turn out awesome. Quick question though, how hard is it to make a mold from a die-cast car? I've been looking into an Alt re-shell but I can't seem to find a 1:24th scale model in anything except die-cast.

10. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

if spoon is doing it
    I know it will be AWESOME!

11. RED PRIME

RED PRIME Well-Known Member

You would need to look at Lexus for a Supra replacement. Lexus is the upmarket version of Toyota. They have recently produced some nice sports cars. Lexus had a 4 seater version of the Supra, but I don't recall the name. I learned all this while being stationed in Japan and being a car nut. Nice Idea, hope it turns out.

12. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    I was looking at those kits too, wondering what and how to deal with the metal, I really can't wait to see how you come up with this....

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Really? Most plastic model kits for cars are made in the 1:24 scale. You should be able to walk into a hobby shop and find them loaded with them.

14. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Ain't it? I Really hope I can get from the plastic what I have in my head.

Right? haha, and because we're friends on that social networking site, you'll probably get more steady updates than most ;) 

Naahhh. If I pull this off I will be a customizer doing a jig :)  Thanks!

Thanks dude. I really want to stay away from them looking like anything we're familiar with. Mostly since the advent of the 3rd party new mold wave.

Thanks Zmog, I appreciate that but unfortunately I am a tad on the crazy side.

Haha, that's great, thanks! I may use that in a sig sometime :) 

Yeah it was tough trying to come up with an updated model. I got that bit of info from wikipidia so what does that tell you' haha? Since Camshaft and Downshift really were'nt that flashy I wanted to stay with that aesthetic. "Moderately disguised" as opposed to the Bay-formers which stand out like poo in a punch bowl.

Thanks man, I hope so. I'll send you a really good link on how to do that.

Why thank you sir.

That's great idea too. All in all this revolves around what exactly is available in 1:32nd scale whic isn't really alot.

I'll be posting progress right along in case anyone wants to attempt their own.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. 1:24th is the most common. that's all that places like Michaels and Bennys carry. 1:32nd is fairly rare these days unless you want to pay slot car prices or take chances on ebay.

15. WheeljackRules

WheeljackRules Well-Known Member

Well the car I'm looking at is kinda new, so maybe they just haven't had a chance to make a plastic model kit for it yet. A link on how to make a mold though would be great, thanks.