OMG, why have I never even heard of this?! (Steel Battalion)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The Steel Battalion controller for the original Xbox, its like the Virtua On controller but if it was steriods.

Check this video and at 3 minutes 20 seconds in, he gets to it.
    YouTube - NEW GAME STUFF EPISODE 3 PART 2

Did anyone ever pick this up when it was originally released? Its controller is mind blowing.

2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Been under a rock?
    I always wanted to get this game but apparantly the online is nothing but a bunch of insanely good Koreans/Japanese who will rock your world and then some. I've seen grown men cry after some of this on x-box live.

I tried this when it came out at the local game crazy. A bit over whelming with all the buttons and switches but I still want this hard.

Chuck

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Clearly.

I'm gonna have to track it down as I'm not sure my life will be complete until I pilot my own mecha. Its a shame a sequel was never made on the new generation, as I really would love to own a set up like that.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah dude, we pitched in and bought that years ago. The game was OK, but booting up the robot by actually flipping switches was short of virtual sexual pleasure. Oh and the Box the controller came in was awesome too.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

I remember when that was first released. I thought that controller was completely awesome.

6. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

No sequel for new gen but a seguel was made for x-box. Kind of funny, no matter how many times game crazy employees warned customers that you needed the controller from the first game people still insisted on buying it. Sorry, my mistake, the first game wasn't a live game, the sequel was live only.

Chuck

7. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    I believe there is a shop here in town that has a controller in box.

8. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A friend of mine bought it when it came out.
    He's had the controller out of the box 2 or 3 times and that is it.

I did play it once, pretty good form what I remember.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's all about the bootup sequence.... it feels like Magical Fairies.

10. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely remember that. I still remember that controller costing almost as much as freaking game console. It's no wonder it tanked.

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I played alot of this game! Some guy even loaned the whole thing for me and I barrowed it for a few weeks. The game is awsome. Missions later on become more complicated when you're out in the field longer where ammo & fuel can become potential problems.

What's extra crazy about the game is that if you're killed during the campaign, there's no do-over. You're dead and gotta start all over again. Luckly there's an eject button to prevent this. The mech you had for the mission is destroyed however and you'll have to buy a new mech. If you dont have enough $$$ left to buy a new mech, game over and start all over again. It's not that hard to eject when your mech is about to go down, it'll be pretty obvious when you gotta bail, your cockpit will be on fire and sparks go shooting everywhere. You'll have a good few seconds to respond & GTFO!

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and the Eject button is cool because you have to lift a little panel to hit it, so you don't accidently eject and cost the company a lot of money.

13. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And if you don't eject, bye-bye save file.

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Best controller EVER.
    I came after seeing all the buttons:lol 

Even if it was a giant paperweight a month later:cry 

15. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

If I could somehow get away with it, I would be all dramatic while playing the game, screaming like a Gundam pilot and yelling "Take this!" while I fire!

And if (when) I had to eject I would smash the glass case, but then bandage my hand cause that would hurtxors.

16. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Game Center CX did an episode dedicated to this, obviously I can't directly link nor can I find it on Youtube. I recommend going to TV Nihon's forum and give it a look.

17. Rampage01

Rampage01 knockoff of a knockoff

I had this game. Briefly. It was NOT worth its high price tag.

Yeah, the controller looks awesome, but in use, its size makes it clunky and awkward. The size also means it takes up an awful lot of space when you aren't using it, and since it only works with the one game, there's going to be plenty of time where you aren't using it.

The dying in a level means total death might sound like a neat touch, but the novelty will wear off very quickly. Getting several levels in and then having to go all the way back to the first level gets incredibly annoying. It is honestly one of the worst design decisions I have ever seen in a game.

The mechs are the slowest shuffling, most awkward mechs I have ever seen in a game. Not to say that mechs have to be super fast, as I would much prefer something like Mechwarrior or Chromehounds over something like Gundam. The problem is that the Steel Battalion mechs aren't just slow, but ridiculously so. You'd spend an inordinate amount of time in each level just slowly shuffling along.

If it had been the price of a normal game, I would just say it wasn't very good, but when you add the price to all the problems the game had, I'm going to have to say that Steel Battalion was the worst game I have ever played.

18. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

I got this a while back when Electronic Boutique was still around before Gamestop bought them out.

I got a good deal (so I thought) I got the controller w/ SB 1 and also SB 2 for about 140. I didn't know until I got home, that 2 was online only, and I didn't have the setup and money to play online.

I modified a set of USB ports on my PC to use Xbox controllers (had a broken XBox and rigged the controller ports) and found some software drivers for my PC and played Mechwarrior with it quite a bit, made it more realistic.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a store near me that sells old electronics (bookshelf stereos, game consoles and games, etc) who had a SB controller just sitting on the uppermost shelf.
    It was a trade-in.

if i could rig my dad's old PC back to a decent state and knew i could make that controller work on it...i'd have a nice Mech Simulator.

about the joys of cranking up a mech using the controller, i can feel that.
    i got to ride in a simulator on post here. Lemme tell ya, kids, riding front seat in an Apache simulator and getting to launch something called "Hellfire" at little tanks is right up there with your favorite teams winning the championships, world peace and Sex at a Sorority house.
    it's pretty damn groovy.

i wonder how much that dude wants for that loose controller...
    hey, wljk, which MW games did you run with it? I have MW4.

20. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

Yes, I used MW 4 with it and attempted to use it for some flight sims, gave that up after spending so much time configuring the controlls and frying that PC a few years ago.