Customs: OMG I KILLED SOUNDWAVE !!!!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by anovasinn, Jul 22, 2008.

1. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

let us all have a moment of silence for the transformer foe that died today...........................................................................................................................................................................................................well i killed the poor little animated soundwave in his dye bath he is warped beyond repair lets all be thank full his faithful pet lazerbeak was spared in this horrific accident.

and yes folks i read the directions this was the first time dying a figure so i found out early about the limitations of animated plastic. also this has just been a bad day for bashing for me i had several projects go awry today but poor soundwave was at a terrible loss to me. the others were salvageable or at no great loss.

OK the point of this is to warn anybody about to dye an animated. for god sake take off the windows even if you want them the same color as i and let the dye bath cool a little before you dunk em .

well i may do the extensive surgery later to fix him but for now i have another soundwave and he is sitting in the much cooler bath as i type this. the upsde to my disaster is the dye took very well to the figure lol :crazy: 

also please do not shed to many tears soundwave would have wanted it that way

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

(fakke Trumpet sound)
    Dun dun dun,
    dun dun dun,
    dun dun, dun
    dun, dun,
    dun dun dun, dunnn, dunnn, dunnn,
    dun dun dun.

Present Arms!
    Order Arms!

3. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

Well you could always take off the back section and turn him in to a truck of sorts.....maybe

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I just dyed my first figure today, to luckily much better results.

My findings are you definitely don't need boiling hot water at all for it to work. Hot water, yes, but not melting plastic hot.

Oh, and RIP Soundwave :( 

5. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Well that sucks...don't give up !
    Now you can just call him..."Wave"

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

You're not supposed to HAVE boiling hot water!! You bring it to a boil, because it takes a moment to add the acetone, then the dye, stir it up well, and then add your parts! by this point its cooled considerably (you remove it from the heat before doing all this stuff)

I'm planning to take pictures soon of my doing my method as I'll be dyeing parts again soon. I could do it now without dying anything, but I figured it'd be best to wait, doncha agree?

7. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah, pics with the tutorial would be great!

8. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Laserbeak's an orphan now....

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

10. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    You can dye the plastic?! I had no idea.

Shame about the Soundwave though. Would've looked good in black.(That IS black, yes?)

11. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Why not go with what you have,as long as the figure still transforms,make it into a new character.Add some paint apps,maybe some detailing,and just a suggestion for a name,call him "Distortion".

12. colley

colley Chou Henshin!

Hey, turn him into a Junkion. Problem solved. ;) 

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Bummer man....:( 

Sorry to hear about this....I messed up a little on my first dye job too.

I like this idea. :thumb 

14. anovasinn

ok guys yall are great and funny to distortion and wave omg lmao.

ok this is my excuse i have two kids in my buss all the time. a 7yrold son that is always like the riddler asking questions. then i have an 18month old that is constantly getting into stuff. so i need three eyes lol

the other thing is i had a g1 soundwave head in the batch and it was fine the water was not boiling just to hot for animated plastic. i follow directions rather well. my biggest mistake is i should have taken baby steps instead of jumping right in.

btw the second one is turning out fine i think it needs one more bath and it will be dark enough. it sucks though every time i add him to the bath i cringe lol. this time it has taken about 5 dunks to get him blackened.

also i am not offended by any comments just wanted to clear up i did not put in boiling water.

15. anovasinn

one more thing when i get around to using the warped one i think i am going to rise to the challenge of rebuilding his busted parts with styrene. i have the skills with styrene i just also know how much work it is ouch

16. swampflight

swampflight Banned

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass or insult your work because I tried to dye a figure myself and I melted it to slag.The reason I gave you the suggestion was 1.for some reason I like the way it looks and I had a kitbash idea & 2.why toss it out when you can work with it?

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    For some reason, when I first looked at the picture, the first thing to come to my mind was the tumbler. Then again, that may be a result of Batman being on my mind for the past couple weeks, lol.

18. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I cannot stop laughing at that photo...the poor bastard... He died a chump's death. :lol 

Would it be too cruel for me to add a big "FAIL." underneath? :D 

Nothing personal about OP, you understand... the picture just cracks me up...and heaven knows I've wholesale ruined my share of figures with crackheaded ideas.

I would love to see the look on someone's face if you tried to return it to he store as "Defective." :lolol 

19. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Wow. He was so young too. :wink: 

So I have no experience with dyeing, so forgive the question if it's silly. But if you're dyeing a transformer all one color, there's no need to take it apart then?

I guess I'm so used to seeing all you professional guys taking 'em apart, painting, dyeing, cutting, sculpting, then putting everything back together. I guess I just never considered if the whole thing was being dyed the same color that you could dunk the whole thing. I mean obviously not this guy, but other lines with maybe a harder plastic?

20. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I hope to do to turn a transforming hulk into a optimus primal. I think I'll wait for the afore mentioned guide before trying it for the first time.