OMG, Blue Meanie's G1 box tutorial is DONE!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Blue Meanie, May 4, 2009.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've been waiting FOREVER to see this--glad to see you finally having a chance to post it up. I know how it is with other things going on. Congrats on the new baby and thanks for posting up a cool tutorial on this. Not sure if I'll ever attempt any or not, but it's cool seeing how they're done. I've always liked the work you've done, so I was looking forward to seeing this completed. Downloading now!

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Excellent tutorial--just finished downloading (which worked great) and I skimmed through most. I'll have to read in detail later, but this is VERY informative and helpful to those wanting to build a nice box collection for some of their Transformers and even customs work.

I gotta say thanks again, bro!

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    This is the first box I like! AWESOME!!!

5. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

This thread needs to be stickied!

Thanks so much for this Blue Meanie - I just finished reading it in detail.

I had some of the basic ideas down before, but you really did a fantastic job with all the subtle pointers that would have taken me a lot of trial and error to learn. The devil's in the details - great job with this tutorial. Learned a few good photoshop tips and that trick with the washable markers is brilliant.

I have a question for you though - what are you using for the toy inserts for your classics figures? I was thinking of using the orginal packaging (the molded plastic) and designing the box around those dimensions. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on it first.

Thanks again.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Thank you soooo much for getting this up here, man, it's greatly appreciated! We'll get it into the tutorials section soon so that it can be enjoyed by many more. :thumb 

7. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    Great work man! It's almost exactly how I work making my custom boxes. And the tutorial is much appreciated by many people here. I know only writing the whole tutorial is a hell of a job. But Blue Meanie did it. Just to learn other people how to make their own custom boxes. Much respect!

8. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Sick. Thanks a ton, BM! Been keepin' an eye out for this for a while. Good luck with the new baby too!

9. Blue Meanie

Thanks guys, I put a ton of time and effort into making it, its good to see people appreciate it. I hope everyone can put it to good use. I should have a basic insert tutorial done in a few days.

10. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it. :thumbs2:  Thanks again.

11. valguerra

valguerra Well-Known Member

I was reading the tutorial: maybe explained how to insert the guide lines, that you talk about. But other than that is good. Were do you leave feed back.

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Uhh......dude, I dont have a brain. Can I use someone elses? I mean, that's what the tools are for, right?

Right?

Excellent on the tutorial... it's like scrapbooking...for Transformers. And proof that I need Photoshop.

13. kaotic504

kaotic504 Well-Known Member

dude, this is awesome! thanks, now, how about you pre-fab a few and i just buy them from you. j/k. i'm just always paranoid that i'll f* it up. now to buy more ink for my printer.

14. Blue Meanie

Actually that is the exact feedback I am talking about. I am making the tutorial for someone that is realatively new to photoshop. The guidelines are something i do instinctually so i forget to explain. To great a guide line just hold-click on the rulers at the top of the page and drag down. The blue guideline will show up. To move it use the main anchor tool. Of the rulers arent there you have to click show rulers. I'll add this to the tutorial.

I do have a digital printing company starting that allows me to print very low volume cheap. Once we were up and running it would be sweet to get a license from hasbro. If someone can butcher prime and megs image with a plastic lollipop holders I should be able to get it to make some sweet boxes right?

15. 26_Mirage

26_Mirage Heroic Stunticon

:bowdown:  BM Thanks for this awesome tutorial!!! As far as the 'tools' you mention...I think that I have one of those 'brain' things, but it's an older model. I'll have to see if I still have the receipt so I can exchange it for a newer one. But seriously, I've been wanting to see a tut. like this for ages and like I said before...AWESOME!

You do realize, however, that the verbal abuse my computer is going to take is completely ALL YOUR FAULT. j/k:p 

Congrats on the new baby!!!:thumb 

16. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

I don't think I saw it in there - what colours do you use for decepticon boxes in photoshop?

17. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    I got some tips for the tutorial:
    - make the creases with the bone score on the printed side.
    After that make a thin cut on the inner side.
    That way it folds much better and your print won't "break" at the edges.
    Make sure to put a transparent sheet (like the window) between you ruler and the print, otherwise you damage the print.
    -When you fold the box, put your metal ruler behind it and fold instead of using a table, that way the fold becomes much more straight.
    - I did make boxes out of several prints, but try your local print shop.
    For 10-15 dollars you can have a nice big high quality print
    so you can make a box out of one print piece, it works much better.
    Just save your finished file as .TIFF or .PDF, burn on CD and on to the print shop.
    -You can make the sunburst just using gradient tool, select color to transparant and select the elliptical option.
    -When I glue my print, I place it under a heavy wooden plate for 24 hours, that way it's totally flat without any airbubbles afterwards. I had that problem for a while.
    -When you've cut the window section out (carefully!!), you can smooth the roundings etc. using a disposable nailfile, works perfectly.

18. Blue Meanie

Those are great, I'd love to see some of your boxes. Just everyone keep in mind that most people are probably using a variety of materials, and results will vary. Basically experiment with your materials. When I tried to score the front of one my boxes the print split immediately when i bent it. On thinner more flexible prints that will probably work great (and have a wider variety of paper/gloss types), which I would guess what your using if you were getting bubbles.
    One piece prints are definitely better, but some printers might bust ur ballz over copyright.

I'll add your tips to the end of the tutorial.

19. Blue Meanie

Great question, I can't find the files for my decepticon boxes. I think my wife deleted the folder on accident. I had 3 colors in the gradient for decep boxes. I will see if I saved them on my ext. Hard drive. Even so I haven't printed a decepticon box yet, so mine might be off I don't know yet.

20. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    great stuff! PM sent.