Minor/Repaint: OMG! Another Classic Thundercracker!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bogatan, Aug 5, 2009.

  1. Bogatan

    Bogatan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Posts:
    2,047
    News Credits:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    166
    Likes:
    +2
    I'd resisted the urge to do one of these for two years, but then I was asked to make one. My first commission I suppose. While I was making a G1 toy coloured version I stumbled across a blue that I used for my Hyperdrive project and at some point realised it would make a great anime TC so made one up and give Autobot1000 a choice between toy and cartoon. He chose toy and left me with this one which I just finished after deciding to sell it. As its so rare for me to finish a custom I thought I 'd post some pics.

    Actionmaster, G1 custom, Original, Anime custom and Botcon
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Full gallery here
    http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/Natagob/custom/thundercracker/ebay TC/
     

    Attached Files:

  2. ShadowMagnus

    ShadowMagnus Autobot

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Posts:
    2,082
    Trophy Points:
    171
    Likes:
    +0
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    He really looks cartoon accurate IMO. Nice work! BTW how did you manage to paint the soft rubbery nosecone of those figures?
     
  3. Bogatan

    Bogatan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Posts:
    2,047
    News Credits:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    166
    Likes:
    +2
    Cheers. As for the nose cones it was mostly ignorance and luck. All three had acrylic primer which stuck fairly well. Took a little longer to dry than on the hard plastic, but not by much.

    AMTC was airbrushed acrylic and if I remember right it took a few layers with quite a long dry time but eventually worked out.

    The G1 toy type used an enamel spray and was a frickin nightmare. The first coat took about a month to dry and looked awful but the second coat dried quicker and looked ok.

    For the anime one I initially forgot it was meant to be black and used the same blue as the body which is a quick drying car body spray. That went on quite well, but was tacky and got messed, then when I remembered black I just used another car spray and there was was so much paint on by then it dried in about 3 minutes.
     

Share This Page