Omega Supreme: Work in Progress

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Wheel_Jack, May 18, 2010.

1. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    Update: Post #83
    Update: Post #77
    UPdate: Post #63

this started out as a little something to do 2 to 3 minutes at a time at work. in between lunch breaks and the few minutes at the end of the day before I went home. This is unlike anything I've done before. It started out as a silent kitbash at sector70 but now that the cat's out of the bag as to what I'm working on i figured it's time to get some helpful crits and suggestions.
    this is how he started
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plan is to get the basic build done and then start facing everything with styrene scribed with tons of panel lines and other random found and fabricated components. I would like him to transform but I'm still on the fence on that one. He'll also be my first LED sporting figure. :) 
    Specifically, I need some help from some of the heavy hitters out there. dudes who build BIG stuff. Everything is held together using nuts and bolts. he's got tons of points of articulation but the bolts are just not cutting it. mainly if I tighten them I can't move his parts and if I loosen them up a bit the parts won't hold their position. So I need some kind of hardware that ratchets I think. maybe even with a spring. please let me know if any of you have any ideas.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    amaziing. it's wood too. look into some of these grooved ratcheting circle things for between joints w/ movements, plant 2 of these and it will create the friction you want. no spring needed. 2 of them facing "teeth to teeth"....if too tight, sand down the teeth a bit. (see pic)

or, you can use existing BIG ratcheting joints; offhand i would say find junkers of unicron, and esp. Metroplex. Might wanna look at non-TF stuff as well, found some nice stuff w/ power rangers...

Attached Files:

3. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    thanks mike. I have supreme starscream and metroplex but honestly think those joints are even too weak for this guy. He stands almost 50 inches tall. I agree about the toothed washers you have pictured. is that off a toy? or is it from a hardware distributor/store?
    thanks again.

4. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

thats amazing, what a beast. Would it be possible to get some toys in the pics for scale? He must be huge. The styrene finish should be ace on him. Looking forward to more.

5. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow, i mean Dude, bro, man, HOT DAMN! i cant wait to see the process. Make sure you keep us posted family!

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the one I posted a pic of is actually from metroplex. had no idea he was so damn big, jeez...

might wanna look into washers/sprokets like this :

[​IMG]

perma-fixed to one part, then the other part would have pegs or something holding the joint at certain spots.

7. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    u got to b kidding me ninos

thats fu#$ing huge

that plywood ? or natural wood ?

this thing is going to b awesome

8. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

would tightening them then applying wd40 to them help? or add a layer of pvc with some sort of lube between them.

or you could just loosen them and tighten them when posing

9. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

freaking awesome. Omega is one of my all time favorites.
    I'd recomend sticking with bolts for right now, but start adding washers and "nylock nuts" to hold it together. the washers are a bearing surface, and the nylock nuts hold it together just enough to allow movement and friction. they are a locking nut and is much better option that double-nutting somethign together. it may seem picky at first to try and get the right amount of movement vs. friction, but once you get a feel for it, you can go through all your joints and get them tighetned up fairly quickly. i can get a picure for you if you're not sure what i'm talking about.
    You could also go crazy town and buy these "incremental-Angle position hinges"
    McMaster-Carr
    although even the plastic ones are $27 a pop. but that'd work pretty awesome for the scale you're going for.
    Cant wait to see what else you do on this guy.

Randy!

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    He's gonna be badass.

11. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    thanks for the input guys. all suggestions are welcome. This will help out when it comes time to decide which route to take. bigbot3030, yeah bro if you have images and it's not too much trouble that would be awesome.
    thanks again everyone.

12. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Wow! That's freekin' huge. Can't wait for the finish here definetly. Just wow!

13. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    My breath, it is gone. This is stupendous man! Transforming would be great, but at this scale, it's a tough call. Either way, it's a mind bogglingly amazing piece.
    As for recommendations, I have only cosmetic ones. The barrel looks a little big to me. I'd taper it down a few more inches. The claws need to be more curved in, as well, but I'm sure you're working on that. The head is just awesome. I can't wait to see the face built. It would look great if you put diodes around it inside of the helmet to light it up.
    It's clearly huge, but like others have asked, do please include something for reference so we can really get a sense of his scale. MP Prime perhaps?

14. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Alright, i'll try and get something drawn up and sent to you soon. i've done this method before on things at work, and i'ts functioned nicely.

Randy!

15. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I ran into the same nightmare on one of my Tonka-bot Scrapper prototypes a while back, it drove me insane until I tried the springs. The spring concept was even used on G1-Prime's thighs where they connect to his hips. I tried screws, and just bolting the joints down, but they were either too tight or loosened up, even with lock-nuts... then I tried the springs with fender-washers and locknuts.

With a figure this size, you're gonna need heavy-duty springs to support his weight if you want to be able to pose him. You can even use valve-springs from a small engine, or find them at a hardware store. Car-Quest even sells them, they're called "exhaust manifold springs" by the company "HELP." The only thing about these springs are, they're big (roughly 3/4" diameter) and hard to conceal, and you must use locknuts...but, they'll never come loose and the tension on that joint will never come loose. The figure in these pics is about 25 inches tall, to give you and idea how big he is.

The only other option for the smaller joints is what they call a "tension washer." It's not flat, but is wavy-looking and creates tension when you crank down on it. With this, you'll also need a flat-washer ontop of it with a nylon locknut as well. If you have trouble turning the joint at the pivot-point, you can also implement nylon flat-washers to reduce the friction, and the hardware store & Lowes sells them too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  16. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Dude, this thing looks phenomenal by the way! I love the craftsmanship and the proportions are fantastic, I like your style!

17. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Whaaaaaaaaaat?! It's made out of woooooood?!? HUUUGE WIN already!!

18. Nickleby

Nickleby Autobot

That's awesome!!!!! :D 

19. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

very nice ! is it heavy ? i never use wood because i,m always affraid of 2 things: weight and strenght...

but if you manage to pull this off i,ll have to reconsider my position lol

keep us posted

20. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

pretty neat, lost art of wood working.