Olympics 2012... discus(s)!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Jul 25, 2012.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No Olympics 2012 thread? There is now!

Discuss everything about this years Olympics, from inappropriate 2012 logos to great sporting achievements/upsets.

Speaking of upsets, I'll start. The womens football match between North Korea and Columbia set to start at 7:45 this evening was delayed when Olympic organisers displayed the South Korea flag for the North Koreans and they walked off the pitch.

They should be kicking off over an hour late.

Lulz.

2. Chaplain

Chaplain Well-Known Member

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Thread Title wins gold medal after perfect scores from all judges (except the Swiss judge, who only gives it a 3.2).

4. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    OMG LOL.

Damn Swiss and their perfect roads.

5. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Cannot wait for the Olympics, I've been excited ever since hearing we were going to get it. Annoyingly though, despite this, my parents have booked our holiday this week purposely to avoid the majority of the event. So i'm probably going to be miserable for the next 2 weeks.

Although the Opening ceremony sounds so disastrously fucking hilarious, can't wait to see that, except for Paul McCartney, i'll probably jump out of a window when he comes on

:lol 

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Can't wait.

I still don't see the point in protesting people from ever country playing sports.

7. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I plan on watch only a little bit of it, just for the teams I like. Yeah, I'm rooting for other countries, along with my own too.

8. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So who does everyone think will be the one to light the Flame on Friday? My first guess was going to be Prince William, but it was reported this morning that Muhammad Ali arrived in London, possibly to be part of the opening ceremony?

9. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Muhammad Ali is a possibility, but I can't see him lighting the actual torch in London... although he has special ties with the UK. If he IS in the UK He'll have a role for sure.

David Beckham.

Seriously, after he got royally ass raped by Seb Coe over all the work he did bidding for the Olympics, and then playing no meaningful role in the actual event, and then I hear he's in the opening ceremony? He's still insanely popular around the world (hell, I like him) so I think the Olympic commitee have thrown him a bone, he'll light the flame I think, otherwise there will be a lot of angry Brits (including me).

What? I support only team GB. Great Britain all the way! We're gonna kick your colonial asses all the way back to yo' mommas! Home turf baby! After all the money put into our Olympic sports if we can't win legitimately we'll rig it like the boxing final in Korea!

We're not in it to compete! WE'RE IN IT TO WIN! GRARAAAAAGH!

See? Thats TRUE Olympic spirit! ;) 

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Don't care about anything except basketball. Which we'll take gold in.

11. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Really wish I had television so I can enjoy the games. Granted Olympic Taekwondo is usually played at three in the morning. :( 

12. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Actually, just because I live in America doesn't mean I HAVE to support the entire US team. If I choose to support another country's team it's up to me. Also, when America sweeps the floor with you like we did with the Revolutionary War, I'll celebrate a bit, just to make you happy:D (jk).

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Are the womens' beach volleyball players still going to have to wear trousers because of the cold? That'll be like half the viewership not tuning in then.

I might watch some of the opening ceremony just to see how crap and cheesy it'll be and how we'll no doubt fuck things up, but after that I'm avoiding all telly and newspapers until the whole affair is over.

14. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If its under 17 degrees C I believe, something like that. But with our recent weather that seems unlikely.

Just saw some snippets of opening ceremony dress rehersal that was held yesterday, hrm. Still looked like a bunch of A-level students doing interpretive dance. During Beijing 2008 openeing ceremony the Chinese unified body movement with props, (drums etc) to spectacular effect, but the UK looks like people in costume flailing around.

Having said that it was only a snippet, a few seconds worth each time. Cycling light up birdmen and stuff. I have heard from somebody who has a relative participating in the event that its very good though...

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The problem with our recent weather is it turns so quickly. Before this last few days of horrible heat and sun it was raining for an hour, sunny for an hour, raining for an hour, and so on. This time last week I had strong winds and thunderstorms battering my gaff.
    London can have all the sun and heat it likes if I can just have the cold and damp (just how I like my women :p  ).

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess I understand the value of the various trademarks involved (london, olympics, olympic logo, etc.) and the need to protect those trademarks, but the kind of stories that are coming out of the UK about defense of those logos, and what people are doing to sidestep them, is surreal to me. Stuff like this:

[​IMG]

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i c wat u did thar with the title

18. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

A few thoughts on the Olympics,

The mascots are one eyed monsters....is it right that they sell replicas to young kids? :lol 

Does a sporting event really require more UK troops deployed than in Afghanistan as well as missile batteries on rooftops, a battleship in the Thames AND secret service personnel from other countries as well as our own?

David Beckham and his "Please give me a Knighthood" antics are so transparent it's pathetic....he lives & works in the US and wants his kids raised as US citizens so with that in mind he should fuck off back there with that vile wife of his instead of resorting to plastic patriotism every time there's a chance of a photo opportunity over here.

I hope the entire thing passes by without the shambolic security situation being exploited.

I will watch the road race in the cycling as I'd like to see Bradley Wiggins or Mark Cavendish follow their Tour de France successes but I have no intrest in any other event.

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I hate the Olympics. I always found it even less engaging than pro sports. Which is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

20. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    This Olympics will be shit and so will the majority of Team GB.